• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts

TopHatChef

Reaction score
Is an undershirt acceptable to wear under a polo shirt?

coogie

Reaction score
no

CityGent

Reaction score
Yes. Provided it's a v-neck or some other cut which won't show even when the top button or two of the polo shirt is unbuttoned, I think that although not ideal, it's perfectly acceptable, particularly when it's 95 degrees and the alternative is having your polo shirt dotted with large, runny drops of sweat.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was a look that was popular a few years ago, but, thankfully it has passed the way of the cargo short.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityGent
Yes. Provided it's a v-neck or some other cut which won't show even when the top button or two of the polo shirt is unbuttoned, I think that although not ideal, it's perfectly acceptable, particularly when it's 95 degrees and the alternative is having your polo shirt dotted with large, runny drops of sweat.

Wearing an undershirt while its 95 degrees out won't help with the sweat problems at all.

It's always better to buy some better polo shirts that's breathable and won't change color when its wet...

RichmondStyle

Reaction score
So, when you guys wear a polo shirt to work on casual Friday's, you do it without any undershirt at all?

trajan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TopHatChef
Is an undershirt acceptable to wear under a polo shirt?

Yes. Undershirts are not only acceptable, but recommended.

--trajan

dexterhaven

Reaction score
I live in the deep south and wear v-necks under my polos. They don't show, but they do, I find, help soak up my sweat.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear polos, thereby avoiding this problem and several others.

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
Wearing an undershirt while its 95 degrees out won't help with the sweat problems at all.

It's always better to buy some better polo shirts that's breathable and won't change color when its wet...

I agree. I have found that wearing an undershirt when it is very hot will only cause me to sweat even more and then to dry off/cool down much more slowly.

raiderbuck

Reaction score
Yea it's acceptable....just as long as it doesn't show. I always wear a v-neck or a tank top or something under my polo's. They aren't visible and tank tops are better when it's stupid hot outside.

coogie

Reaction score
if you have a sweating problem you can get prescription anti persparent which basically shuts off where you apply it from sweating. My brother is a musician and solved that on stage problem

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads