1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Undershirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Apr 10, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you wear an undershirt?

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you wear an unershirt?

Only on the coldest days in winter when I'm feeling lousy.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

In colder weather I like a sleeveless undershirt or a long sleeved one for warmth. Short tees aren't warm enough to justify the extra sweat that results from the sleeve digging into my armpits.

4. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

Undershirts are more useful for warm weather, not cold weather. It's a southern thing.

If you sweat a lot, dress shirts cling to your chest and back unless you wear an undershirt to soak up the sweat.

5. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Undershirts are more useful for warm weather, not cold weather. It's a southern thing.

If you sweat a lot, dress shirts cling to your chest and back unless you wear an undershirt to soak up the sweat.

There is nothing sexier or appetite inducing than walking around Manhattan in the middle of August and seeing a guy with a blue or white oxford shirt and huge sweat stains under the arms, running down most of the back and all around the shirt collar. The women swoon! I am waiting to see a guy go commando in the same type of sweat inducing humidity [​IMG]

6. new obsession

new obsession Senior member

I always wear an undershirt (Crew or V neck) with any dress shirt, button down, etc (anything that buttons down the middle). I do not wear them with anything that resembles a polo/golf shirt or "T-shirt"

7. Etienne

Etienne Senior member

I don't sweat a lot, the climate in Paris is mild, so I never ever wear one.

Also, they are very lower-class, and... No, wait, wrong thread. [​IMG]

8. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

I wear an undershirt in Manhattan all year round for the stated reasons above. As an avid skier, it is not great in the cold weather when layering to wear a cotton tee under anything.

9. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Absolutely never ever ever.

10. Halljam

Halljam New Member

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Now I only wear the undershirt when I know I will be getting sweaty, or whenever I'm wearing a button down. In college (UGA '05) it was pretty common to rock the undie with a t-shirt, but I found that it just made me hotter... er, more hot.

11. demeis

demeis Senior member

I always wear one. I hate not wearing one. And i hate seeing guys who are hairy in a white shirt not wearing one and for the mentined reasons of sweat. Even though i'm in New york i still wear one all year round. Just feels better imo and looks better not be seen under a shirt.

12. NewYorkBuck

NewYorkBuck Senior member

Not only that, how about the ubiquitous yellow-hued stains in the arm pits of their white dress shirts. Oh so attractive.....

13. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Silk-weight cotton nearly eliminates the heat problem that makes some people avoid undershirts.

14. Soph

Soph Senior member

I always wear an undershirt under a dress shirt, I thought this was an accepted rule. Nothing worse then sweat stains on a dress shirt. [​IMG] Not classy. A woman taught me this long ago.

Now, if it's reallly hot, and you are way causal, like linen then okay.

Also, nothing worse than seeing a hairy chest sticking up over an undershirt or in any more formal setting.