Undershirts - Why No Gray?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Jul 31, 2011.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Gents -
    I'm looking for undershirts that don't show through too much when wearing a white dress shirt, and aren't ridiculously expensive. It seems to me like I probably want v-neck tees for underarm coverage without the shirt showing through when I wear my dress shirt unbuttoned and without a tie, which is often. I have heard that gray actually shows through less than white (true?). It seems like from Hanes to Nordstrom's to Saks brands you either get white or black, or maybe a pack of assorted colors, but never a pack of gray. Any suggestions? Is it false that heather gray shirts are actually better at not showing through?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Why do you wear undershirts?

3. unbelragazzo

I live in DC...it was 98 degrees here today, which is not uncommon. If I don't want sweat soaking through my dress shirt by the time I'm 5 minutes out of my front door, I need to wear an undershirt.

4. unbelragazzo

But in any case, the undershirt vs. no undershirt debate seems from my "undershirt" forum searches to be a common one on SF, which I don't want to revisit. For the purposes of this thread, just take it for granted that I want to wear an undershirt, and, if you can, please help me find one that will absorb sweat/protect my dress shirt without being visible.

5. Liquidus

Liquidus Senior member

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I love heather grey t's. I have more of them than any other color. I don't have any problem finding them. I've been getting the ones from Nagrani. He makes very nice ones in Pima cotton from Peru.

Yes, heather grey is less visible than pure white under white pants or shirts. I have heather grey boxers and briefs for the same reason.

7. bcgrija

bcgrija Member

I don't wear undershirts anymore but when I did I do remember heather grey being the least visible under my white dress shirts.

http://www.valetmag.com/style/products/2011/ribbed-tee-towncraft-50-50-poly-cotton-070511.php?rss

Valet has always been a go-to resource for me and they seem to speak pretty highly of this undershirt for summer.

Also, a good deodorant/antiperspirant has always helped me, I use an "Clinical Strength" Degree one that does wonders. It is a little on the expensive side but well worth it in my opinion.

8. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

9. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ribbedtee is an advertiser at Put This On, and they've sent me some of their shirts (including gray ones, and the ones Valet wrote about). They're not cheap, but they're very reasonably priced and I like them a lot. They have a soft 50/50 blend, a super soft blend with that really soft synthetic that I can't remember the name of right now, ribbed cotton ones and stretchy cotton ones.

10. unbelragazzo

Awesome, thanks for the recs, all - I'm a medium, though, so I can't take you up on your offer, Liquidus.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I just gave this a try last week for the first time and can report that when asked, the various people IRL who put up with my sf inspired antics told me that they could not identify the location of the end of my gray tee sleeve when worn under a Brooks Brothers slim fit white shirt. OTOH, when looking in the mirror in the restroom, I noticed that the body of the shirt was not as bright as the collar without the usual white tee beneath it.

Life is a compromise.

12. Francisco

Francisco Senior member

Uniqlo has some which is pretty comfortable and cheap too.

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

H&M has some decent undershirts for really cheap too - anywhere from $5.95 to $9.95 per shirt...I have a ton and wear them as undershirts under my dress shirts all the time. I never heard of the grey vs. white debate though...that's interesting, I may need to try some grey v-necks next time I go there to pick up some undershirts.

14. Tck13

Tck13 Senior member

Lands End has really nice undershirts in many colors. I wear them under my shirts whenever I go dancing to help with the sweating. They hold up very well and last forever for me.

15. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

I am also one who wears t-shirts all the time and started using grey recently. I will give another vote for H&M. I think 99% of their stuff is garbage but their grey v neck t- shirts at about $5 are great.