• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts? Pick your poison....

JFKJean

Reaction score
Advantage: No pit stains on your button up shirt

Disadvantage: Doesn't look good under a button up shirt

Advantage: Another layer for the cold weather months (*if where you live requires that)

I'm on the fence about this. I hate the look of a t-shirt under a white button up for example but I hate the fact that if you don't wear one, you'll accumulate the stains. Is there a gray area? Different deodorant? I know a bigger rotation of shirts will help but what about for those who don't have that luxury?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dislike pit stains! The stains come from your anti-perspirant. I use less and it's not much of a problem anymore. I've also tried that crystal alternative which works great, but caused irritation after prolonged use. If I wear a nicer undershirt then I use the crystal lightly. You can buy a small version of it for 2 bucks at whole foods.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Depends on how much you perspire. I never go without one. Winter, Summer, etc..

Cordovan

Ajaxv2

Reaction score
Yes, I've found that wearing one is worth the investment. If only there were an under-collar, yellowing collar stains annoy me even more...
uhoh.gif

hamish5178

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that a heather grey undershirt is less visible than a white one under a white dress shirt.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't wear them. I don't have pit stains either.

minnesotamoon

Reaction score
Jockey or Fruit of the Loom depending on which one is on sale when I replenish the collection. I usually buy three 5-packs at a time.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Undershirts that are visible thru your dress shirt (like most of them are) are an example of extreme dorkiness, stains or not. No way!

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must have for me as I sweat a lot. I use to work in Hong Kong in the '90s. Without an undershirt there was nothing worse than getting to work with a wet shirt plastered to your body. The undershirt was a savior...

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
I always wear one...no matter what.

I have like 4 different brands of undshirt that I buy for different purposes. But no matter what...always wear an undershirt.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
echoing some of the stuff here - i used to use anti-perspirant deoderant...the aluminum oxide ingredient that clogs your pores is the same stuff that gives you pit stains. i now use deoderant without antiperspirant and my pit stains have vanished. if you're worried about switching, something that helps is trimming your underarm hair...it keeps you drier than if the hair is longer. i sweat quite a bit in my armpits but that has helped me a lot since i first tried it.

also - v-necks are invisible under pretty much everything but a real thin white shirt.

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody wants to see your nipples. Undershirts under white shirts please.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads