• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Undershirts in the Summer?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you wear undershirts in the Summer?

I'm extremely sweaty, and would ruin all of my dress shirts (or have perpetual pitt-stains) if I didn't wear them. If I threw caution to the wind, and ditched the undershirt, I'd also have nipplage issues with thinner, summer weight shirts. Is there a way to be decent, preserve your shirts AND stay cool?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are sweaty then I would suggest wearing an undershirt.

I don't wear undershirts other than winter (I live in California). But California is very dry and I am constantly in an air conditioned environment.

elegantgentleman

Reaction score
Try to figure out why you're so sweaty first.

Then try to wear very lightweight clothing in the summer (cottons, linens) and try to go short-sleeve and shorts whenever possible.

I avoid shorts myself even in the summer, but if you sweat that much, you should take advantage of them. I'm not a big fan of the undershirt look, and sometimes I think they can make you warmer and make you sweat more.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Save for tropical weight wool trousers, I'm almost exclusively in cotton and linen in the warmer months. I'm just one of those people who's always hot, and sweats with little provocation...and no, I'm not fat.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of +1 with OP. Although I don't get stains, my shirts get wet marks. Pit stains are from using aluminum-based anti-perspirants. I use tom's of maine.

I don't like seeing crew neck undershirts under button down shirts when I'm not wearing a tie, which is most of the time.

Can someone recommend an alternative to crew necks that look acceptable... and aren't too expensive?

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I'm sort of +1 with OP. Although I don't get stains, my shirts get wet marks. Pit stains are from using aluminum-based anti-perspirants. I use tom's of maine.

I don't like seeing crew neck undershirts under button down shirts when I'm not wearing a tie, which is most of the time.

Can someone recommend an alternative to crew necks that look acceptable... and aren't too expensive?

I always wear v-necks with an open collar. Costco has good ones.

vincerich

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Do you wear undershirts in the Summer?

I'm extremely sweaty, and would ruin all of my dress shirts (or have perpetual pitt-stains) if I didn't wear them. If I threw caution to the wind, and ditched the undershirt, I'd also have nipplage issues with thinner, summer weight shirts. Is there a way to be decent, preserve your shirts AND stay cool?

I wear undershirts whenever I wear a dress shirt or sport shirt. I'd say that it's as important for me as using shoe trees. If you feel that it's too warm for your usual t-shirt, you should look into more thin options. If you have "nipplage" issues, then you should tame those ****.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never do an undershirt, I like to feel the shirtcloth.

nbmplano

Reaction score
For those of you with underarm sweat problems, you need to look in to Certain-Dri (store bought, over the counter- in the deodorant section, sometimes on the womens side) or Drysol (prescription from a Dr.) solution. It is an aluminum chrloide solution that you put on under your arm pits at night before bed. After a few days use you will literally stop sweating under your arms. You dont even have to use deodorant. This has been a huge help to me over the past few years.
certain_dry.jpg

g00n

Reaction score
I also have the perspiration gene. I sweat very easily, especially in the summer when the heat index hovers around 100F. There is nothing you can do about it, I carry a handkerchief for the occasional allergies and to clear my face when I get hot.

*to the above post: the aluminum chloride solution found in most anti-perspirant deodorants is said to be harmful over time.

Professor Chaos

Reaction score
Under armour compression-fit v-neck shirts for open-collar days, crew-neck for closed or t-shirt. They're polyester + elastane. They breath remarkably well (better than linen).

Since they're polyester, they don't absorb water, but it gets spread out and held between fibers. Therefore, they let the sweat evaporate very efficiently (which is cooling) but prevent sweat from getting absorbed into any fabric you're wearing over it.

I get them in white, grey, and sand; the grey and sand are perfect for wearing under light-colored shirts, since they're less visible than white.

Cotton undershirts are for newbs.

scugger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbmplano
For those of you with underarm sweat problems, you need to look in to Certain-Dri (store bought, over the counter- in the deodorant section, sometimes on the womens side) or Drysol (prescription from a Dr.) solution.

It is an aluminum chrloide solution that you put on under your arm pits at night before bed. After a few days use you will literally stop sweating under your arms. You dont even have to use deodorant. This has been a huge help to me over the past few years.

certain_dry.jpg

I use Certain Dri to take care of the pits and then wear a wife-beater to take care off the body. I feel like wife beaters are usually thinner than t-shirts, so it shouldn't add to much to your heat-levels.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbmplano
For those of you with underarm sweat problems, you need to look in to Certain-Dri (store bought, over the counter- in the deodorant section, sometimes on the womens side) or Drysol (prescription from a Dr.) solution.

It is an aluminum chrloide solution that you put on under your arm pits at night before bed. After a few days use you will literally stop sweating under your arms. You dont even have to use deodorant. This has been a huge help to me over the past few years.

certain_dry.jpg

The oxidation of the aluminum chloride is what causes the yellow stains. Have you tried others of the ilk, or is this the only one? I've used a couple of those "prescription strength" antiperspirants, and I still sweat through them.

Originally Posted by Professor Chaos
Under armour compression-fit v-neck shirts for open-collar days, crew-neck for closed or t-shirt. They're polyester + elastane. They breath remarkably well (better than linen).

Since they're polyester, they don't absorb water, but it gets spread out and held between fibers. Therefore, they let the sweat evaporate very efficiently (which is cooling) but prevent sweat from getting absorbed into any fabric you're wearing over it.

I get them in white, grey, and sand; the grey and sand are perfect for wearing under light-colored shirts, since they're less visible than white.

Cotton undershirts are for newbs.

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The oxidation of the aluminum chloride is what causes the yellow stains. Have you tried others of the ilk, or is this the only one? I've used a couple of those "prescription strength" antiperspirants, and I still sweat through them.

I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.

I walk to work in the summer and get quite sweaty on the way in. Then (yes I know this is dumb) I have a large coffee. Undershirts help immensely. Not just for feeling drier, but save your shirt from more washes.

I have heard that the mixed blends ie under armour contain smells. I can't confirm this, but I find absolutely nothing wrong with cotton. I have tried on some slim fit shirts and some work, some don't. You have to go by personal preference and on trial and error. So far I like Hilfiger (95% cotton) or Armani (100%) since they fit close and are very thin. Expect to pay about $15 per shirt.

You might want to check out Banana republic shirts which are Pima cotton. Not tight fitting but feel quite nice and if found on sale, cheap.

nbmplano

Reaction score
The oxidation of the aluminum chloride is what causes the yellow stains. Have you tried others of the ilk, or is this the only one? I've used a couple of those "prescription strength" antiperspirants, and I still sweat through them. I'm going to have to try this. Thanks.
The Certain-dri is not worn with your nice clothes. It is applied at night (just wear a t shirt to bed, something that you don't care about staining) and just take a shower in the morning to wash it off. After a few days of use, it closes up your sweat glands, and you dont sweat wherever you use it. After that, you just "maintain" by using it once every couple of days (at night) but you shouldn't be sweating after a few days of use.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads