1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Undershirts – An idiotic query. V vs Crew / white vs grey

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by VKK3450, Mar 26, 2010.

1. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

SF is the only place I can ask this and not get looked at like I am on crack.

Most days I wear an open collar shirt, but at some point have a meeting for which I need to wear a tie. Problem is that I don't like showing undershirt (crew neck) when I am going open collar, and I don't like the possibility of the V neck line showing under a white shirt fabric when I am buttoned up and tied.

Solutions? Or am I a freaking loon?

Would the V of a heather grey undershirt be visible under a white buttoned up shirt?

Should I just try this myself instead of asking the board?

K

2. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

A grey undershirt is less reflective than a white one, and is less visible under the shirt, yes. Obviously, the lighter the grey, the better this works (so no "charcoal").

So I think a grey v-neck is the answer; the only problem, of course, is finding one with a deep enough V to work with an open collar - so many V necks nowadays are more like dented crews!

DH

3. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

A grey undershirt is less reflective than a white one, and is less visible under the shirt, yes. Obviously, the lighter the grey, the better this works (so no "charcoal").

So I think a grey v-neck is the answer; the only problem, of course, is finding one with a deep enough V to work with an open collar - so many V necks nowadays are more like dented crews!

DH

Check out the JT from Collected Threads - very inexpensive and super deep neck, I bought 3 as a test and promptly bought 6 more. I also looked at American Apparel's deep V but at $22ea vs $8ea I could not justify the price for something I use mainly to make sure I don't sweat stain my shirts. My only complaint is they are sized pretty large - I bought smalls and they are as big as I can stand for an undershirt, I could use an XS or maybe even XXS if they offered one.

4. ohm

ohm Senior member

Two thoughts: 1. maybe try a very shallow V. 2. get white shirts that aren't see-through. [​IMG]

5. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

"Solutions?"
    Wear the V neck, you're over thinking this

"Or am I a freaking loon?"

well......

6. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Check out the JT from Collected Threads - very inexpensive and super deep neck, I bought 3 as a test and promptly bought 6 more. I also looked at American Apparel's deep V but at $22ea vs $8ea I could not justify the price for something I use mainly to make sure I don't sweat stain my shirts. My only complaint is they are sized pretty large - I bought smalls and they are as big as I can stand for an undershirt, I could use an XS or maybe even XXS if they offered one.
    Could you elaborate on what that is?

7. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

Could you elaborate on what that is?

Sure, www.collectedthreads.com - basically it is what a woman would call a boat neck, scoop neck or ballet neck shirt. Since gettings these all my old crews and Vs went into the ragbag... definitely happy with them even if I would prefer a slimmer cut.

The topic of "invisible" undershirts has come up before, I found the JT after reading a few threads which mentioned them, the American Apparel, the expensive Swiss one, and shoot one more mid-priced one I can't think of.

8. dah328

dah328 Senior member

9. jo-fu

jo-fu Senior member

why not just do no undershirt?

10. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

why not just do no undershirt?

* comfort
    * sweat stains
    * possibility to wear shirt again without laundering it (if one were so inclined)
    * Heat/cold management

11. jo-fu

jo-fu Senior member

this is all true, i'm just saying if you're having trouble with the collars underneath, its an easy and totally acceptable fix to just drop the undershirt. I don't like when they show at all, particularly with slim fitting dress shirts, which I'm going to wash after I wear anyway

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I don't do undershirts, but last time I looked dear old M&S had some with a deeply cut round neck that might suit.

13. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Going without isnt really an option. Between the Tube at rush hour and bouncing around town to client meetings I need a layer between me and my shirts. I don't rewear, but coming off a sweltering Tube into a client meeting where everyone is "coats off and sleeves rolled up" is begging for sweaty pits.

I would wear a low V all the time, but it ends up being visible when I button up and put on a tie for a client meet.

Grey v necks with a fairly flat collar may work.

Maybe what I really need is a skin tone coloured low V neck undershirt...

K