• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Underrated US Cities

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mharwitt
Chicago, honestly

def not underrated...love chi-town...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fort Worth. Went there for a week and thought it was a nice city.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nashville is a very clean city. The people are friendly, and the atmosphere is very relaxing. It's also a cultural oasis in the south.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Most of the east coast outside of NY is underrated.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
Savannah is overrated if anything.

Everyone loves Savannah as a tourist and thinks it's amazing.

It's not as much fun to live there.

There is no Whole Foods, a complete lack of mid-range restaurants, and I'm not sure if there is a farmer's market or not. And while it's fun to walk around with an open container, the novelty of stepping in puke on the sidewalk every Saturday, Sunday, and Monday wears off quickly.

computerpro3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by randallr
Cincinnati and Ann Arbor, Michigan
Cincinnati is great to visit, but not to live. I dump on it all the time as a transplant coming from Connecticut (which is great because it has the best location in the United States), but there is a lot to like. 1. Decent symphony 2. Surprisingly good food (Nicola, Via Vite, Jean-Robert's Table, Jeff Ruby's, Orchids, Boca, Nada, Terry's Turf Club, etc, etc, etc) 3. Fair amount of culture (Contemporary Arts Center, Art Museum, etc) 4. Decent nightlife in Newport, KY 5. A bizzarely high concentration of utterly fantastic Indian hole-in-the-wall eateries. 6. The Hyde Park Kroger has a mini Murray's cheese shop in it Give me a long weekend, some friends, and a few grand and I can have a hell of time in Cincinnati. The problem is though, after that weekend you want to kill yourself. In between molotov cocktails getting lobbed at your car during race riots, fighting off homeless people en-masse, being accosted by the now-defunct ACORN to register to vote Democrat for the 50th time, and avoiding thousands of wrong way drivers on one-way streets, you might even have time to pack a t-shirt, umbrella, snow boots, and a baseball cap in your bag. You'll need it; it can be 75 in the morning and snowing at night. The people are nice, but outside of a few small circles they are fairly stereotypical. If you plan on living here in the long run, I hope you went to Elder high school (and played football) and love cornhole. I also hope you don't enjoy shopping - we have a Saks and a Nordstrom, but they're for show - they are filled with 100% John W Nordstrom shirts and Saks house brand coats. Oh, and Boss. They don't carry anything even midrange like Canali or Zegna. Want to try on a pair of Aldens, C&J, Santoni, or Tramezzas? Good luck - you'll have to drive to Chicago. In the mood for cooking up a nice Italian dinner? I hope you don't need prosciutto, because they don't carry it at the grocery store and when you do find a deli that has some, there's 50/50 odds they'll cut it thicker than a thanksgiving turkey. In short, I have a soft spot for Cincinnati. But I hate it at the same time.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Louisville - great architecture, a bourbon lover's paradise, friendly people
Tallahassee
Miami

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tweedydon
Providence, RI.

shhhh.... don't tell anyone else.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Too late, your secret is out.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Madison, WI: nice cultured town, decent climate (all things compared)

deadly7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by speedy4500
"...or Washington, DC."

I'm a fan of Columbus, Nashville, Charleston, Milwaukee, Minneapolis.

Whenever I'm there [and it's not frozen over] I always +1 this. It's a great city to raise a family. Has much of the "big city" feel without being as douchey as NYC.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Chicago is not underrated, by any means. Chicagoans use every opportunity to rep their city.

alballa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Texasmade
Fort Worth. Went there for a week and thought it was a nice city.

i agree. i visit my cousins there from time to time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads