1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Underrated US Cities

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gladhands, Jan 11, 2011.

1. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

There are some pretty nice towns in the South, which are not filled with filthy rednecks. I've been pretty happy living in Athens GA for the last couple years. It's not really a "city", only 100k people, but it's a good place to live.

You're right about Athens: it is very nice, indeed

2. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

I'm not surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Charleston, West Virginia is beautiful. Anyone else been there? I was only there for a day, and could definitely see how it could get boring. Other than that I'd say that Birmingham, AL and Montgomery, AL are both underrated.

3. js4design

js4design Senior member

The town does have that Brooklyn-esque feel to it from the old tobacco buildings that are being renovated, which is what gives Durham its unique character. You won't see that kind of warehouse district architecture in Raleigh or Charlotte. Lots of cool projects going on downtown, and in 10 years I expect Durham to be in a very thriving position.

You might, if you go to the warehouse district in Raleigh. And there are a couple converted tobacco buildings dt as well. I looked at 2 of them when i was considering buying there a few years ago.

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

No, Raleigh's warehouse district (the gayborhood) was mostly built in the mid 20th century. They aren't very decorative.

It is really nothing like Durham's turn of the century tobacco warehouses (which are of a more consistent architectural style as they were built by fewer players). There's also several converted textile mills in Durham which offer another style (lots of windows).

5. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

I'm not surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Charleston, West Virginia is beautiful. Anyone else been there? I was only there for a day, and could definitely see how it could get boring.

Other than that I'd say that Birmingham, AL and Montgomery, AL are both underrated.

wat?

I havent been there in 10+ years but been to Chaleston a few times and it was by far the worst capital Ive ever seen. So dirty and poor. I just felt...sad. Once you get outside the city the shanty's come up faaast.

6. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Charleston WV is surreal: poor, weird (in an uncool way), yet strangely appealing, good to visit for a day or two... but to live there? That's suicide

7. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Charleston is super small for a capital city; 50,000 people. The social circles are very small and you basically need to buy a plane ticket to go shopping. I guess the internet makes that much easier now though. There's also a pretty big wealth disparity; most of the true middle class that work in Charleston commute in from up or down the valley. Charleston proper is just poores and then upper-middle class and rich.

8. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

Huntington is the nicest West Virginia city.

9. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Yeah, I mean, I just like the rich areas of most places, and generally ignore poor parts of town. I live in NOLA and refuse to go to the Quarter because poor people make me ill.

I guess I just though a lot of the properties across the river were really dope. The minor league baseball stadium/team looked fun too.

10. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

I love Portland, Maine. I used to date a girl who's dad lived out there and I kept dating her longer than I should have because I loved visiting that area so much. The downtown is nice and compact, has some great restaurants, and a surprising art scene for a city its size.

Wilmington, NC is another underrated place to get my vote. I used to live near there and would move back in a heartbeat if I could convince the wife. The beaches (along most of the NC coast really) are so much, cleaner, less crowded, and less expensive than what you will find in most of Georgia, SC, or Florida and the college seemed to supply a steady stream of good looking girls. My only complaint is that the housing stock, once you are right outside of downtown, is pretty bland.

11. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Atlanta is overrated by every black person in America.

Not by the gay black men[​IMG]

12. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

Just about every city mentioned in this thread was a bombed-out shit hole within living memory (North) or had untold numbers of termite-and-cockroach-ridden, moldy, wood-frame residences listing from neglect (South). Today's cool bar district is tomorrow's skid row. If you want your baby to grow up to be a homosexual prostitute (or panderer or John), why put on a pretense of interest in culture and arts? Just move to Las Vegas and be done with it.

I took a visitor friend around San Francisco the other day and noted that the Mission District gentrified over the last decade. It used to be the 24-hour hangout of tens of thousands of hypodermic-drug users. Haight-Ashbury long since became a tourist trap. The Johns get so familiar with their favorite seedy hangouts that they move there! They find it quite convenient to keep an apartment close to the action. The Johns follow the whores to the next shit hole, and the next, and the next. It's a real-estate racket that's guaranteed to improve property values. Restaurants and boutiques soon follow. When other areas are more lucrative, the formerly-hip neighborhood falls back into decay. (Social consciousness, for landlords, is in direct proportion to profitability.)

What need be for gentleman's clothes and gentleman's manners if you're going to follow the herd of un-self-conscious scoundrels?

13. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

Just about every city mentioned in this thread was a bombed-out shit hole within living memory (North) or had untold numbers of termite-and-cockroach-ridden, moldy, wood-frame residences listing from neglect (South). Today's cool bar district is tomorrow's skid row. If you want your baby to grow up to be a homosexual prostitute (or panderer or John), why put on a pretense of interest in culture and arts? Just move to Las Vegas and be done with it.

I took a visitor friend around San Francisco the other day and noted that the Mission District gentrified over the last decade. It used to be the 24-hour hangout of tens of thousands of hypodermic-drug users. Haight-Ashbury long since became a tourist trap. The Johns get so familiar with their favorite seedy hangouts that they move there! They find it quite convenient to keep an apartment close to the action. The Johns follow the whores to the next shit hole, and the next, and the next. It's a real-estate racket that's guaranteed to improve property values. Restaurants and boutiques soon follow. When other areas are more lucrative, the formerly-hip neighborhood falls back into decay. (Social consciousness, for landlords, is in direct proportion to profitability.)

What need be for gentleman's clothes and gentleman's manners if you're going to follow the herd of un-self-conscious scoundrels?

That's great and all, but where would you live?

14. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I'm not surprised no one's mentioned it yet, but Charleston, West Virginia is beautiful. Anyone else been there? I was only there for a day, and could definitely see how it could get boring. Other than that I'd say that Birmingham, AL and Montgomery, AL are both underrated.
    I'm pretty sure they still hang blacks in WV

And subsist on coal and moonshine

Not certain but I don't want to put my neck on the line

15. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

Not by the gay black men[​IMG]

They rate it exactly as they should: Mecca.

16. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

That's great and all, but where would you live?

Tijuana.

17. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I love Portland, Maine. I used to date a girl who's dad lived out there and I kept dating her longer than I should have because I loved visiting that area so much. The downtown is nice and compact, has some great restaurants, and a surprising art scene for a city its size.
    I spent an evening in Portland and enjoyed it a lot. Walked around: bought some pottery form a gallery that does some awesome crystalline stuff, drooled in some estate jewelry stores, liked that the kitchen/housewares stores also had wine, had a good scotch in a little bar, then had a good dinner. Missed out on going to the museum, but I'd definitely enjoy going back. ~ H

18. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Louisville KY

+1.

19. SD1

SD1 Senior member

Portland is a beautiful city in the summer. I went to a few good live music venues there as well.

20. connor

connor Senior member

today i saw a thing that was like the 5 most miserable cities in the US. Stockton, Modesto, Merced, and Sacramento were all on the list. my town is in the middle of stockton and modesto, which are in the middle of merced and sacramento... fuckin hell lol