Under the weather

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Brian SD, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Hey any health nuts out there... As the topic might suggest, I've been feeling pretty scheissty recently, and I am just looking for a general way to reduce symptoms or get rid of it all together.. I think I have your typical cold, and it's normally not too much of an inhibitor but the lack of energy is really hurting my sex life the past few days [​IMG] This is mainly why I ask... I would like to know if there are specific vitamins or food types that would help lower the length of sickness or just reduce symptoms in general (stuffy/runny nose, shivers, sensitive skin, always tired). Does echinacea help this at all? If anyone has some advice, I would really appreciate it.

2. alaaro

alaaro Senior member

A couple years ago, I started taking Centrum Performance vitamins every day. Its got gingko and some other stuff to help with added energy. It's definitely been working, I find sometimes even on not enough sleep, I can still keep chugging along.

I also got a recommendation recently to take extra vitamin C, above and beyond whats in the vitamins. So I take an additional 1000mg per day. As one who majored in biology, I know that extra vitamins just get peed out, but since I started 3 months ago, I have not felt ill at all. I am usually good for a couple colds/allergy attacks/flu bouts a year, and since I've been on extra Vitamin C, I've felt great.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Appreciated. I heard Vitamin C helps. I'm gonna go Overdose [​IMG]

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Move to California. Seriously. I've been sick here in Cambridge more times in 9 months than I had been in California for 6 years. Yes, the East Coast sucks.

5. hermes

hermes Senior member

really, just lots of rest and drink lots of fluids

6. rothko

rothko Member

No kidding. I've thought I've been through a lot of crappy Cambridge winters/springs, but this years takes the cake. When its not snowing, its raining, etc. I know of atleast half a dozen people who've been seriously sick this winter (week long bout of the flu/strep/etc.). When I graduate in June, I'm leaving cambridge and never coming back...

Hmm.. on second thought, maybe illness is related to stress induced by school...

7. F4iryder14

F4iryder14 Senior member

Echinacea can be very helpful, but its main use is to curb the intensity of a cold. Therefore it is very helpful to take when the symptoms start, but is not much use when the cold really starts to kick in. If I catch it early and start taking it, I have had pretty good results.

Kevin

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Already there [​IMG]
    Thanks for the input. I started taking Echinacea on monday, and the symptoms have been very mild compared to what I usually end up with. Perhaps the intensity of the virus isn't as bad as usual, but it's definitely worth trying again [​IMG]