• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Under appreciated masculine clothing

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pulled out from the back of my closet a black cashmere turtle neck and wore it with jeans yesterday. I haven't worn it in 5 years or so. What a cool, classic, masculine look. I'm bringing it back into rotation. I think it became under appreciated. Time to bring it back.

mcqueen.jpg

DandySF

Reaction score
I agree that it's a great look. Unfortunately I can't abide the close proximity of wool or cashmere to my neck--I find it very uncomfortable. You're lucky to be able to wear this type of sweater.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I came across three really nice turtle necks from the back of my closet as I was looking for items to donate to charity. Although I haven't worn them in years, I spared them. In fact, today is a perfect day in these parts to wear one. I like the look.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. A very cool look. Of course, Steve McQueen made everything he wore look cool.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the-codpiece-in-history.jpg

Masculine? Check.

Underappreciated? Check.

rjacobs

Reaction score
Masculine? Check.

Underappreciated? Check.

Between the codpiece and the right index finger, there's a lot of genital framing going on here.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjacobs
Between the codpiece and the right index finger, there's a lot of genital framing going on here.
art major.
richarddawson3.jpg
richarddawson3.jpg

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turtle neck dangers: soup, red wine, large belly, anything served in a sauce.
Other than that, I agree it's a good look especially for winter.
Shawl-collared sweaters are under-appreciated (imo). Would like to see more men wearing them.
The duffle coat is another. I see more women wearing them than men these days but still wear mine.
Today in Toronto it's -12°C and with Wind Chill feels more like -21°C Brrr!
Suspenders (braces) need more love too.
One other thought just came to mind; outside of 'SF World'; the use of colors in general for menswear has become vastly under-appreciated. Too much gray, black and lifeless dark blues & greens on most men for far too long. Men in general really need to learn how to use colors & textures.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Men in general really need to learn how to use colors & textures.

But SF men to get in touch with the fact that there are classic black items, i.e. turtle necks, to consider.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
But SF men to get in touch with the fact that there are classic black items, i.e. turtle necks, to consider.

+1, I'm moving into more masculine ways, I plan to turn my work wardrobe into grey suits (charcoal - med and light grey), flannel suits, white french cuff shirts and black captoe shoes.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
Turtle neck dangers: soup, red wine, large belly, anything served in a sauce.
Other than that, I agree it's a good look especially for winter.
Shawl-collared sweaters are under-appreciated (imo). Would like to see more men wearing them.
The duffle coat is another. I see more women wearing them than men these days but still wear mine.
Today in Toronto it's -12°C and with Wind Chill feels more like -21°C Brrr!
Suspenders (braces) need more love too.
One other thought just came to mind; outside of 'SF World'; the use of colors in general for menswear has become vastly under-appreciated. Too much gray, black and lifeless dark blues & greens on most men for far too long. Men in general really need to learn how to use colors & textures.

Shawl collared sweaters and duffle coats are HOT right now. Almost every designer has one and the J.Crews of the world are selling out of their stock. I think I may pull out my turtleneck sweater today as well.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought two new cashmere turtle necks a few weeks ago. One navy and one light grey. I've been wearing the hell out of them in the cold weather. People are probably getting sick of seeing me in them already, but I don't care. I like them.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually looked for a turtleneck recently and had a hard time finding one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads