• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Under 30's Mens Fashion Question

welshwizard

Reaction score
Hi,

Several colleagues and I are in the process of relaunching a well known British brand to appeal to a different market segment; that being the under 30's mens market. The aim of the brand relaunch will be to appeal to the under 30 professional; a young person who wears suits, someone who always loooks 'smart'. I'm not talking your average Joe down the pub, I'm talking that smart bloke you see.

It would be a huge benefit to us if you could take a few minutes to answer these 3 questions to assist us in this huge task!

Just a few questions. Answer yes or no or give essay answers if you have no life. Cheers.

1. Do you wear a suit? If so, how often do you wear it? What are the most important factors you consider in buying a suit?

2. How many of the following clothing garments do you have in your wardrobe?
a. Polo Shirt
b. T Shirt with print
c. T Shirt, plain
d. Jeans
e. Trousers
f. Suit
g. Knitwear
h. Other (please state)

3. Which brands do you buy the most from?

Cheers guys.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am still building my wardrobe, but here goes what I have so far for you (you have to send me complimentary samples as payment for this survey though
tongue.gif
)

1. I wear a suit once or twice a week. The MOST important thing to me is the cut. Most suits I see in America at least are cut for a fatass with no sense of style. I want something sleek that shows off a trim waistline.

a. Polo Shirt - 9
b. T Shirt with print - 12
c. T Shirt, plain - 7
d. Jeans - 4
e. Trousers - 3
f. Suit - 3
g. Knitwear - 6
h. Long sleeve collared shirts (but not for work) - 6

3. I don't really care about brands as long as it looks good and fits me well. I prefer European brands as they have a better fit. For Polos I stick to the dull basics in Polo and Lacoste, (Custom Fit and Retro Fit, respectively. Way better than classic fit). T-shirts usually from something obscure. Knitwear is interchangeable to be if the material is nice. Jeans are a crapshoot, whatever fits well. I know AX does not have a good rep here, but their jeans fit me absolutely wonderfully.

Hope that helps.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Go on then, I'll give you some free market research (in my late 20s, live in the UK):

1. Yes, 5 days a week most weeks. I generally buy made to measure or bespoke so can get the best fit and cut and get to select whatever cloth takes my fancy.

a. polos - about 5 I guess. Loro Piana my favourite
b. T-shirt with print - uh, again about 5, various brands
c. T-shirt, plain - similar number, similar variety.
d. jeans - 2 pairs. 1 pair of 501s for wearing out, one ultra-cheap pair from Next for DIY, odd jobs, etc
e. trousers - about 6-8 pairs. Probably mostly from M&S I think, surprisingly. Some Loro Piana.
f. suits - about 8-10 now I think. Some older Austin Reed, newer ones from Ede & Ravenscroft. A few other one-offs.
g. knitwear - way too many considering I don't wear them often - about 10 or 12 I guess. Lots of Ralph Lauren, one or two Nicole Farhi and John Smedley, some M&S.
h. long sleeve casual shirts - about 10. Mainly Ralph Lauren button-downs of one sort or another.
long sleeve dress/work shirts - 35+. Zegna my favourite, though have a pretty broad church of makers.
ties - 75+ - again a very broad church of makers.

Best of luck with the product launch.

cpac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by welshwizard
1. Do you wear a suit? If so, how often do you wear it? What are the most important factors you consider in buying a suit?

a. Polo Shirt
b. T Shirt with print
c. T Shirt, plain
d. Jeans
e. Trousers
f. Suit
g. Knitwear
h. Other (please state)

Cheers guys.

6'5" 225lb 28 year old New York attorney here.

1. Yes, 4-5 days per week. (As I acquire more suits it is moving more and more towards 5 days all the time).

a. 2 polo shirts (I actually need a couple more).
b. 2-3 print t-shirts (these are all free t-shirts acquired back in college or at runs or as gifts)
c. plain t-shirts - I really have just 1, unless you're counting undershirts, in which case there's probably a dozen or so more - but I'd never wear then undershirts without a shirt over them.
d. 1 pair of jeans, actually need to get a new pair (thanks to the gym)
e. I assume you mean odd trousers there's about 2 pair of linen, a pair of khakis, a pair of orange twills, 5 pair (or so) "dress" i.e. wool trousers, and a pair of cords in there somewhere. This is more than I need as I acquire more suits, but I haven't gotten rid of them yet.
f. I'm happily up to 7 suits (though one is seersucker so query whether that really counts).
g. lots of sweaters, which I tend not to wear often, but my wife loves, so they accumulate. I'm up to around 12 or so (rough guesstimate). A couple turtleneck shirts.
h. Other things? 4 odd jackets; 1 overcoat, 1 raincoat, about 4 pairs of shorts; tons of dress shirts (slowly all being converted to CEGO as the difference in fit is huge!).

3. Actually I've been moving further and further from "brands" as such:

My suits now will come from Mr. Ned in New York. As a 44XL, most OTR don't fit and what few choices there are aren't always to my tastes or needs at the time.

My shirts now come from CEGO in New York. The fit difference vs. anything OTR is too incredibly huge to ignore.

Other than that, I occasionally pick things up from Brooks Brothers, Polo (outlets usually), and on occassion (mostly because their sweaters are made long), Banana Republic.

Ties are probably the most "branded" thing I'm likely to buy - and most of mine are: Brooks Brothers (probably 50% at this point); Charles Tyrwhitt; TM Lewin; Zegna; and a favorite is a Charvet. Though with all this I'm tempted to try out some of the more custom options out there because while I can make a normal length tie work with a four-in-hand, I like the versatility of an extra-long, and those are hard to come by.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, once or twice a year - though in the future, probably more often in a professional environment. Factors, in order of importance - 1) Fit/cut, 2) styling/details/fabric, 3) construction (in line with the price of the suit).

a. Polo Shirt: 20
b. T Shirt with print: 20
c. T Shirt, plain: 25
d. Jeans: 12
e. Trousers: 15
f. Suit: 6
g. Knitwear: 25
h. Other (please state) 10 pairs dress shoes, 16 pairs sneakers, 25 ties, 5 belts, two winter overcoats, two winter casual coats, three leather jackets, 6 spring/fall jackets and windbreakers, 6 track jackets, 10 blazers/sport coats (which are worn a lot more frequently than the suits), 60 collared/dress shirts.

Everything from Express/Banana Republic to Brioni. I like mainline Dolce & Gabbana, Paper Denim & Cloth, Jil Sander, Turnbull & Asser, etc...to name a few.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, rarely however, perhaps a few times a year. Fit and appearance are the most important factors for me. I like a tailored look that fits me to a T. I also prefer more modern looks with flat front, no cuff, 2 or 3 button. At the very least I get a MTM suit for these factors.

a. Polo Shirt (2)
b. T Shirt with print (12)
c. T Shirt, plain (22)
d. Jeans (8)
e. Trousers (17)
f. Suit (1)
g. Knitwear (12)
h. Other (please state) 6 Belts, 6 ties, 27 buttondown shirts long sleeve, 6 buttondown shirts shortsleeve, 1 sportcoat

Anything that is quality and a good deal, I rarely buy a single brand.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear a suit a couple times a month, but probably daily within the next few months. Fit and material quality are the most important. Nothing is worse than an ill-fitting or cheap suit. I generally get mine when they go on clearance, and then spend some good money to have them tailored. Flat front pants are a must.

I have:

Polos: about a dozen
Printed Ts: three, all free
Plain Ts: a dozen or so
Jeans: 5
Trousers: 4
Suits: 3
Sweaters: about a half dozen

As far as brands go, it depends on the item. For suits, I like anything from Paul Smith to Dolce and Gabana. Material quality and fit are more important than a brand name. My favorite polos are Banana Republic, because they make a medium-tall. I also like their plain Ts because they are so soft. My favorite jeans are currently Nudies and Rag and Bones. I also have PDC and Diesel.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score

Not exactly, but I do expect to take a job that will have me in a suit 5 days a week. It's actually on my list of criteria, albeit far down on the list. Fit is most important, followed by styling. Construction is non-negotiable. Due to a hard-to-fit body, I don't buy suits OTR.

a. Polo Shirt 3
b. T Shirt with print 2
c. T Shirt, plain several
d. Jeans 4
e. Trousers 4
f. Suit 1
g. Knitwear a few sweaters
h. Other (please state) 3 or 4 odd jackets, half a dozen ties, a dozen or more button-front shirts. Too many shoes and socks. Boxers.

Nothing in particular, whatever fits and is cheap.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score

I do, but mostly just for interviews. None of my jobs so far have required one. Occasionally I'll just feel like looking smart one day. The most important factors in order of importance are cut, materials, and construction. If you want my honest opinion though, more RTW suits need to have floating canvas and be reasonably priced. Sacque Suit is a good example. I like the famous Savile Row silhouette: Good curved waist, swell chest, high armholes, high gorge, trim trousers, forward pleats. Prefer two button, double vents, ticket pocket, narrow lapels, and no pleats most of the time.

a. Polo Shirt - 3
b. T Shirt with print - at least a dozen or so
c. T Shirt, plain - about a dozen too
d. Jeans - 6
e. Trousers - 4
f. Suit - 2
g. Knitwear - 3
h. Other (please state) - wool coat, 6 ties, 6 shirts, pair of dress shoes, 3 sport jackets, 3 pairs dress socks

I buy from whatever strikes my fancy most of the time. American Apparel and BaronBoutique.com have some loyalty from me though.

CommercialDoc

Reaction score
Answer yes or no or give essay answers if you have no life. Cheers.

1. Do you wear a suit? yes

If so, how often do you wear it? 4 days/week

What are the most important factors you consider in buying a suit? fit and cost

a. Polo Shirt - 25, mostly prl, some rlpl and bb mercerized cotton
b. T Shirt with print - 10
c. T Shirt, plain - 2
d. Jeans - 7, all AG
e. Trousers - 20 zegna or bb
f. Suit - 8, mostly bb
g. Knitwear - tons of all types
h. Other (please state) - shoes - allen edmonds or C & J, ties - canali or brioni, dress shirts - canali, tm lewin and bb slim fit non-iron

3. Which brands do you buy the most from? zegna, canali, rl and BB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads