• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncontrollable Weight Loss, Help Please

Casgtx

Reaction score
Hey all i'm new to these forums, I've been seeking for answers what seems to be an unusual issue for me so i am hoping to possibly get some help here.

I am a 28 year old male, i stand at 5'10 and weight about 160lbs. This height and weight seems optimal right? Well i have an extremely difficult time maintaining it.

To give a brief history, i used to weigh about 230 pounds in my teen years, not happy with my weight i started to diet and exercise. Eventually i lost far to much weight and ended up around 130lbs. I hovered around this weight for years until i started working construction in which i managed to put on 30 pounds and pretty much stayed at 160 to which i am content with.

Here is my problem, my work is seasonal so around December i get a temporary lay off and then i return in March. In the time that i am laid off, my eating habits remain the same yet i lose weight so quickly. Last time i got laid off i dropped back down to 135, granted my eating habits changed and my sleep schedule was thrown off, and i wasn't very active. Now i've been laid off for about a week, I've been eating as much as i would if i were working, i am still very active since i train in mma and i've already lost 5 pounds. This ALWAYS happens when i get laid off, its frustrating. All i want to do is maintain weight but my weight is now going down..fast without even trying.

Please help, need advice, info or anything.

Casgtx

Reaction score
I've been to my doctor, he says i'm perfectly healthy and i should continue doing what i am doing. Had blood tests done and everything came back good. He says i just have a really fast metabolism, and that i have to make sure i eat every 2 hours, which i do but i am still losing weight. I am hoping there is someone on these forums that can relate to me with this issue.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did the doctor check your thyroid levels?

Other than that, try writing down what you eat. It's surprisingly easy to think you're eating a lot more (or less) than you are, especially when routines change. You can burn a lot of calories working out hard, especially something like MMA, and your appetite may not be changing enough to compensate.

What sort of foods do you eat? You may want to try adding some fattier foods to your diet, peanut butter, nuts, substitute out leaner meats. Drink shakes if you need to.

Casgtx

Reaction score
Doctor did not check my thyroid levels.

I do eat some ***** foods, i have peanut butter often..usually every 2 or 3 hours in between meals. I eat a lot of chicken, beef, meat etc. The thing what i don't get is, i am eating the same amount or close to as if i were working and i all i am doing now is my mma training so i would think my weight would go higher instead of lower with my lack of work.

My day usually goes like this, get up at 8 have breakfast..usually a bagel or a breakfast sandwich. At around 10:30 i'll have a peanut butter sandwich. At around 12:30 or 1 i'll go to the gym and work out for about an hour. After the work out i'll eat something heavy with a lot of protein. Around 5 or 6 i'll eat another heavy meal usually with a lot of protein and in the evening I'll have some fruits, bananas, apples, oranges, etc..

Thank you for the reply..

ishakir

Reaction score
It sounds like everything is fine and this is within normal limits.

The only variable is your work schedule (which I'd bet is pretty physically involved). My guess is that your natural "set-point" is around 130 lbs from a genetic standpoint. To maintain the weight, you need to maintain the level of activity = get a workout regimen going that involves lifting weights.

Last edited:

nystyle86

Reaction score
Is your colon/digestive function normal? No signs of Crohn's/Colitis? I'd get a thyroid function test as well just in case. Other than that, your situation sounds very weird that you would be losing weight from inactivity, but even something like that can be normal for some people with active metabolism.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
tape worm?

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are training MMA and not lifting as much (not doing construction) of course you are going to drop muscle mass.

Start lifting a lot more. And if you are having trouble packing in calories, then it might be okay to up your carb intake to compensate, since carbs have a certain density of calories.

Octoberfile

Reaction score

Hey all i'm new to these forums, I've been seeking for answers what seems to be an unusual issue for me so i am hoping to possibly get some help here.

I am a 28 year old male, i stand at 5'10 and weight about 160lbs. This height and weight seems optimal right? Well i have an extremely difficult time maintaining it.

To give a brief history, i used to weigh about 230 pounds in my teen years, not happy with my weight i started to diet and exercise. Eventually i lost far to much weight and ended up around 130lbs. I hovered around this weight for years until i started working construction in which i managed to put on 30 pounds and pretty much stayed at 160 to which i am content with.

Here is my problem, my work is seasonal so around December i get a temporary lay off and then i return in March. In the time that i am laid off, my eating habits remain the same yet i lose weight so quickly. Last time i got laid off i dropped back down to 135, granted my eating habits changed and my sleep schedule was thrown off, and i wasn't very active. Now i've been laid off for about a week, I've been eating as much as i would if i were working, i am still very active since i train in mma and i've already lost 5 pounds. This ALWAYS happens when i get laid off, its frustrating. All i want to do is maintain weight but my weight is now going down..fast without even trying.

Please help, need advice, info or anything.

Why don't you just enjoy being scrawny. Nothing wrong with it. You're only 28 and at 5'10" bulking up too much will make you look like a little brick house. Work on toning the muscles and take it easy on the protein milkshakes. Eat whatever you want now because you're only gonna fatten up as you get older anyway. You're super metabolism isn't going to last forever and once you hit 30 you'll be posting here about how you're quickly turning into a chunky monkey and begging members for weight loss secrets. Go celebrate your temporary gift of gluttony while it lasts by ordering an x-large pizza with pepperoni, anchovies and extra cheese.

But then again, why take advice from a meth addict?

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why don't you just enjoy being scrawny. Nothing wrong with it. You're only 28 and at 5'10" bulking up too much will make you look like a little brick house. Work on toning the muscles and take it easy on the protein milkshakes. Eat whatever you want now because you're only gonna fatten up as you get older anyway. You're super metabolism isn't going to last forever and once you hit 30 you'll be posting here about how you're quickly turning into a chunky monkey and begging members for weight loss secrets. Go celebrate your temporary gift of gluttony while it lasts by ordering an x-large pizza with pepperoni, anchovies and extra cheese.
But then again, why take advice from a meth addict?

130 is pretty damn scrawny at that height. 160 is probably a good weight and I doubt the OP is bulky at that weight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads