• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncommon Threads: Alexander Julian Retrospective

Flaneur

Reaction score
<Briggs Robinson Gallery's press release> "This month-long exhibit is an entertaining, artistically approached, in-depth analysis of 30 years of designer Alexander Julian's innovative contributions in men's and women's fashion and home furnishings. Playful installations illuminate Julian's textile design process. His innovative slant on form, color, pattern and scale will be highlighted throughout the exhibition. The Retrospective will include historical installations of signature design motifs and a spectrum of examples of the diversity of original color and pattern work in clothing, textiles and furniture. Also included are historic sports uniforms and original costumes from the Robert Altman film, "The Player". "Listening to Color", a short film by screenwriter Alex Rose, spans three decades of Julian's style. Original music score composed by jazz pianist Eric Lewis. For the past three decades, Alexander Julian has made an indelible mark on the creative landscape, utilizing his distinctive flair for opulent textures, superior craftsmanship and marvelous color. A five-time Coty award winner and youngest inductee to the Fashion Hall of Fame, Julian's textile designs are in the Smithsonian National Design Museum's Permanent Collection." Briggs Robinson Gallery 527 W. 29th St. New York, NY 10001 www.briggsrobinson.com (212) 560-9075 Monday through Friday 10am - 6pm Free admission

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flaneur
For the past three decades, Alexander Julian has made an indelible mark on the creative landscape, . . .

Do you care to remark on the other opinions? There seems to be a differening sentiment about Mr. Julian's indelible mark. Your response would be of interest.
http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/f...ad.php?t=55966

Flaneur

Reaction score
I'm not sure if the present context (namely, that of a thread concerning menswear designers who wear their own creations, morphed by a respected member of both the AAAC and SF communities into becoming a thread concerning a long-standing and very personal rancor) is the right context in which to argue for Alexander Julian's creative influence upon late 20th Century apparel and textile design. Frankly, I'm inclined to believe that any attempt at a frank discussion of the aesthetic merit of the design legacy of Alexander Julian will forever be squelched at both AAAC and SF by the above referenced vitriol, an ingredient guaranteed to produce a dish appealing to no one...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That thread looks like a mess, which in my prior experience on that board, seems to happen on a fairly frequent basis whenever certain things are brought up.

However, to counter the point in that aforementioned post, many designers traditionally were women's wear designers therein they probably weren't going to wear a ruched shirt or a gazar ballgown.

Although I believe Tom Ford does wear his own clothing, namely that of Gucci. Yves Saint Laurent probably wore bespoke Camps most of the time but he also wore his clothing such as the Safari suits.

Personally, I think some people simply don't appreciate the avant-garde tendencies of designer clothing hence the vigor in condemning designers, their suits, and such.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flaneur
I'm not sure if the present context (namely, that of a thread concerning menswear designers who wear their own creations, morphed by a respected member of both the AAAC and SF communities into becoming a thread concerning a long-standing and very personal rancor) is the right context in which to argue for Alexander Julian's creative influence upon late 20th Century apparel and textile design.

Frankly, I'm inclined to believe that any attempt at a frank discussion of the aesthetic merit of the design legacy of Alexander Julian will forever be squelched at both AAAC and SF by the above referenced vitriol, an ingredient guaranteed to produce a dish that will satisfy no one...

Unless you post some pictures other than these, I doubt anyone will defend the aesthetic merit of his clothing:
http://www.alexanderjulian.com/flash_content.html

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Designers who wore suits: Lucien Lelong, couturier who stood up to the Nazis
lelong.jpg
Jacques Fath
fath.jpg
Guy Laroche
laroche.jpg
Cristobal Balenciaga
balenciaga.jpg
Jean Desses- a couturier who initially trained as a lawyer
photo_jean_desses.jpg

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
And as for Alexander Kabbaz's point of designers all being insane--an outlandish statement--here are a few:
I read Kabbaz's statement as an idictment of Julian as a crook...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I read Kabbaz's statement as an idictment of Julian as a crook...
I read it a bit too quickly although I recall Kabbaz wasn't too fond of designer clothing.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Yves Saint Laurent probably wore bespoke Camps most of the time but he also wore his clothing such as the Safari suits.
Not all the time.
In this famous ad, he wore nothing but his own fragrance.

medium_yves_saint_laurent_1971_1_.jpg

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
Not all the time.
In this famous ad, he wore nothing but his own fragrance.

medium_yves_saint_laurent_1971_1_.jpg

Bien sur, his very famous ad by Jeanloup Sieff.

Tom Ford did a recent revamp of that ad but not with himself.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know Alexander Julian personally, but I do know people who do, and hold him in high regard. I don't know about, and cannot comment on his business ethics, one way or another. Personally, his styles are not for me. However, I can appreciate that he contributed to the landscape of American fashion.

As for discussions on the AAAC thread, we have a policy here not to discuss forum politics, and I think that that extends to discussions of controversial threads in other forums. Styleforum is not a place to air grievances about other forums.

Also, if anyone wishes to discuss Manton's book and provide counterpoints to any of his statements, you are welcome to, but please do so in a separate, selfstanding thread, without reference to the AAAC thread. That's all. Thanks.

Fok.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads