• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncommon problem with trousers

sportsguy

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have been following the forum for some weeks now, and find it very interesting. The reason I am writting is that I have a problem with my trousers in general, and cannot think of any solution to that, perhaps you have an idea.

So I am doing sports for several years, which keeps me thin, but I also have very muscular thighs from it. The combination of these two makes it very hard to find fitting trousers, whether they are formal trousers, chinos or even jeans: The ones that fit on the waist are usually too tight at the thigs, and the ones that fit on the thigs are so wide at the waist that they look ridiculous. If i search a lot I can usually find a pair of trousers that I like, that are not too tight on the thigs, and can be worn at least with a belt on the waist. Now the real problem is what follows, it might be related with what I described above but I am not sure: all pairs of trousers I buy start getting thinner and thinner on the area between the legs and a bit below the place the legs meet, until they finally tear. I wear a pair lets say twice per week and machine-washing them every second week (for chinos or jeans at least). I had no pair of trousers last me more than 10 months, I even had a pair of quality jeans tear after only 4 months. I suspect that my thighs have light contact with each other on that spot when I walk, which means that the trousers are brushing off against themself (I also walk 2-3km per day on my way to work and back). I could not verify that this is the reason, but I cannot think of anything else either.

I am really fed up of buying trousers all the time, I even avoid wearing suits a lot for this reason: I would then have to replace the jacket as well. Do you have any ideas on how to cope with this problem? I suppose there should be a way to either buy trousers of some sort that do not have this problem, or somehow alter them to make them last longer?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you with a 31" waist, large thighs and 40" chest. I would recommend trying a pair of Brooks Brothers Milano cut chinos. By far some of the best chinos I've own, and the fit is excellent.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has been covered before somewhere but either get your body altered (awkward) or try MTM.

sportsguy

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. I will definitely try out the milano cut when I buy my next pair of trousers - which will be soon since I had a pair tear yesterday! I have also thought about MTM, but it is strange to get MTM chinos or jeans, isn't it? I also was really thinking about getting myself an MTM suit, but then I think that after 6 months I might have to replace it because the trousers became useless... That being said, perhaps the tearing part is not because of the reason I think, but because of poor fit, in which case MTM would make perfect sense.

GBR, do you have a link on the thread it was covered before, or a hint on what keyword(s) I could use for finding it? I had tried several that came to my mind but without success.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would try them on first, I can't vouche for it being a perfect fit for everybody! There are some for sale on the B&S here and on eBay if you know your size as well.

For MTM chinos you can try tailorstore.com (haven't tried these nor read any reviews) and if you have some cash to spend on jeans Ramalhoni, a user here, is starting up hist MTM jeans program in august.

UnnamedPlayer

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I have been following the forum for some weeks now, and find it very interesting. The reason I am writting is that I have a problem with my trousers in general, and cannot think of any solution to that, perhaps you have an idea.

So I am doing sports for several years, which keeps me thin, but I also have very muscular thighs from it. The combination of these two makes it very hard to find fitting trousers, whether they are formal trousers, chinos or even jeans: The ones that fit on the waist are usually too tight at the thigs, and the ones that fit on the thigs are so wide at the waist that they look ridiculous.

Simplest option, and not "that" expensive considering that you will get a perfectly fitting pair of pants, you just buy the pair that fits your thighs and have the waist taken in.

As long as the waist does not need to be taken in more than three inches you are good to go.

rabiesinfrance

Reaction score
I think the problem's fairly common.

I went through several pairs of Farah trousers over the course of a few months. They were cords, but poor quality at that. So, fabric quality is an issue. You're probably better off with cavalry twill or Bedford cord, or simply jeans. It helps to buy lined trousers. But as with everything else, it difficult to buy quality. Mind you some of the best trousers I've owned were army surplus combats - light, strong, quick to dry.

sturm07

Reaction score
I have a friend who as the same problem. He is killing is pants super fast in the tight area because of his big legs. Why don't you look at some American brand of pants (Brook Brothers, Ralph Lauren, etc..). They usually cut there legs opening at about 8 to 8.5 inches compare to the European 7 to 7.5 inches.

gooter

Reaction score
the only solution is to eat more cheeseburgers!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The cloth is wearing thin and tearing from friction. Usually wears from the inside out but not totally or always. For chinos have the tailor take cloth that is cut off at the bottom of the leg when hemming and apply a triangle of cloth on the outside of the trouser where they are wearing thin. Place a piece of pocketing fabric on the inside. When either piece starts to wear a hole thru, remove the piece and replace. You can do the same for wool trousers.

I have a client that purchases 2 or 3 pairs of the same jeans. Cuts one pair off to be worn as shorts and uses the lower leg pieces to cover the crotch on the other 2 pair, same as above.

Sometimes a looser fit in the crotch helps but the type of cloth matters too. Don't buy flannels or soft fabrics. You won't get much wear from those cloth types. This issue is more common than you think.

Joker Man

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

So I am doing sports for several years, which keeps me thin, but I also have very muscular thighs from it. The combination of these two makes it very hard to find fitting trousers, whether they are formal trousers, chinos or even jeans: The ones that fit on the waist are usually too tight at the thigs, and the ones that fit on the thigs are so wide at the waist that they look ridiculous. If i search a lot I can usually find a pair of trousers that I like, that are not too tight on the thigs, and can be worn at least with a belt on the waist. Now the real problem is what follows, it might be related with what I described above but I am not sure: all pairs of trousers I buy start getting thinner and thinner on the area between the legs and a bit below the place the legs meet, until they finally tear. I wear a pair lets say twice per week and machine-washing them every second week (for chinos or jeans at least). I had no pair of trousers last me more than 10 months, I even had a pair of quality jeans tear after only 4 months. I suspect that my thighs have light contact with each other on that spot when I walk, which means that the trousers are brushing off against themself (I also walk 2-3km per day on my way to work and back). I could not verify that this is the reason, but I cannot think of anything else either.

I am really fed up of buying trousers all the time, I even avoid wearing suits a lot for this reason: I would then have to replace the jacket as well. Do you have any ideas on how to cope with this problem? I suppose there should be a way to either buy trousers of some sort that do not have this problem, or somehow alter them to make them last longer?
Yeah it's interesting. I've read things on here i never knew existed, like how someone could wear their pants out by just walking in them
lol8[1].gif

Get the right size and this won't happen.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tailors probably don't like when non-tailors argue with them, but adding a special lining only addresses the durability issue. It doesn't change the fact that the pants will fit tightly there, which isn't healthy and (on men) generally looks bad. Go MTM or buy pants that are roomy enough in the thighs and then take in at the waist.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Are you arguing your point? Isn't the op's concern about durability? A bigger pet peeve is when someone doesn't read posts thoroughly. Discussions are enlightening.

Tailors probably don't like when non-tailors argue with them, but adding a special lining only addresses the durability issue. It doesn't change the fact that the pants will fit tightly there, which isn't healthy and (on men) generally looks bad. Go MTM or buy pants that are roomy enough in the thighs and then take in at the waist.

Sometimes a looser fit in the crotch helps but the type of cloth matters too. Don't buy flannels or soft fabrics. You won't get much wear from those cloth types. This issue is more common than you think.

IsteRed

Reaction score
I've made a similar thread without getting a good solution, wearing roomier pants not always helps, pants with pleats and from durable fabrics are good solution, and wear your pants high don't let them fall down, it's weird but it also helps.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads