• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Uncomfortable Truths

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I love it: another hate thread!

Here's an uncomfortable truth: RJman's snarkiness is an expression of incurable bitterness for those he perceives to be better off than him in even the tiniest, most superficial way. He doesn't want a Florence Knoll sofa or bespoke shirt from Anna Matuozzo--he just doesn't want you to have one. Unless you're Bill or Matt. Then it's okay and he looks up to you.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What about Lanvin?

My experiences with Lanvin always took the place around the times when I had brushes with insanity.
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I love it: another hate thread!

Here's an uncomfortable truth: RJman's snarkiness is an expression of incurable bitterness for those he perceives to be better off than him in even the tiniest, most superficial way. He doesn't want a Florence Knoll sofa or bespoke shirt from Anna Matuozzo--he just doesn't want you to have one. Unless you're Bill or Matt. Then it's okay and he looks up to you.

Ooh! Keep going, please! I'm sure you can accuse me of a Napoleon complex, of being gauche caviar, of being pseudointellectual, vain, pathologically insecure, narcissistic, and probably secretly **** too.

FTR, I used to want a Knoll sofa.
frown.gif

Also, no one actually looks up to Bill. He tries too hard.

PS: thx for teh new sig. kthxbai

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter how much forumites might praise your Aldens/C&Js/Vass/Lobbs/whatever and you take pride in the perfect elegant shape of its last, the exquisite antiquing/patina most people will prefer the shoes on some guy wearing square toed Kenneth Coles, more chicks will dig them too.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Also, no one actually looks up to Bill. He's too short. Except for foof, maybe.

FTFY.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ooh! Keep going, please! I'm sure you can accuse me of a Napoleon complex, of being gauche caviar, of being pseudointellectual, vain, pathologically insecure, narcissistic, and probably secretly **** too.

Of all those things, only the insecurity is something I pick up on. The rest is too easy to project when you want to think poorly of someone. For whatever reason, you fixate on my conspicuous consumption more than anybody else's conspicuous consumption on a forum you'd only participate in if you were interested in conspicuously consuming things. You do your grocery shopping at Charvet, yet yelp on and on about some random junior attorney on the internet who has a sofa you used to want. I bet Brown did it to you. The place is largely filled with two types of student: (1) those who are not well-off and resent the well-off while desperately trying to emulate them (aka Democrats who want to be wealthy), and (2) those who are well-off and resent themselves for not being the bohemians they don't really want to be (aka wealthy Democrats). So, sadly, I understand where you're coming from more than others. But that doesn't make any of your fixation less annoying.

Can't we just be friends? Sheesh.

Also, no one actually looks up to Bill. He tries too hard.

I have to look up to everyone. Hell, when I met Manton, I don't think I even got a look at his face. All I could see was torso.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
  • Most handwork in RTW is pointless, except as a way to drive up the price tag.
  • Most handwork in general is pointless, except that it's pretty. If you look really, really closely.
  • No one but clothing fiends notices handwork.
  • Buttons don't button any better if they're fat MOP. But they look nice.
  • My linen shirts from H&K and the like have no practical advantage over the cotton-linen ones I bought from Old Navy. My favorites actually came from Old Navy, though H&K has nicer buttons.
  • The main advantage of "good shoes" is that they're pretty. As such, buying ugly shoes on sale is no bargain.
  • We're largely paying for aesthetics and prestige.
  • Buying at full retail no more guarantees a properly fitting, tasteful wardrobe than buying at a discount guarantees a bargain. You either have taste and a commitment to fit or you don't.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Of all those things, only the insecurity is something I pick up on. The rest is too easy to project when you want to think poorly of someone. For whatever reason, you fixate on my conspicuous consumption more than anybody else's conspicuous consumption on a forum you'd only participate in if you were interested in conspicuously consuming things. You do your grocery shopping at Charvet, yet yelp on and on about some random junior attorney on the internet who has a sofa you used to want. I bet Brown did it to you. The place is largely filled with two types of student: (1) those who are not well-off and resent the well-off while desperately trying to emulate them (aka Democrats who want to be wealthy), and (2) those who are well-off and resent themselves for not being the bohemians they don't really want to be (aka wealthy Democrats). So, sadly, I understand where you're coming from more than others. But that doesn't make you any of your fixation less annoying.

Can't we just be friends? Sheesh.

I have to look up to everyone. Hell, when I met Manton, I don't think I even got a look at his face. All I could see was torso.

What floor is the food hall on? I missed it.
frown.gif

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more posts one has, the more respect is given... even if they are way off base

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regardless of all the drape and waist suppression you still just an ape wearing Kiton....
crackup[1].gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
What floor is the food hall on? I missed it.
frown.gif

They wouldn't let me passed the ground floor after they learned I was only a first year associate.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
Wearing expensive workwear makes you a trend whore, not a man's man.
2 inch cuffs look bad on most people.
Bespoke isn't for everyone.
Most people should be buying suits from H&M for interviews, not RLBL.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
-Everyone who posts on this site probably has a little bit of the taste for the kack, even if they haven't fully embraced it yet. Yes, this means you, too. There's a meetup in your town soon.

-There's something not right in your outfit today, and you hoped nobody would notice. But you know, and now you know I know also, and that's sad.

-You really can't afford most of what's in your closet. It really would have been better put into a savings account or your kid's college fund.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how on point your suit is if your hair looks like absolute **** (THIS I DIRECTED AT SOME MEN'S CLOTHING WAYWT POSTERS).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
  • Even the best bespoke clothes cannot make you skinnier/handsomer/younger/more muscular.

• I liked all of them, but especially this one. Some of the $5-10K suits worn on here are by men so unattractive that I wonder why in the world they bother. The 95% off one, too, is spot-on and I doubt that most who require sucha discount actually give two ***** about the brand itself. They want it... whatever "it" is... on discount and will often be an absolute pig to get it. For me, the most "uncomfortable" truth is just to realize that in the grand scheme of things, getting worked up about clothes, accessories, etc. is a really hilariously dumb thing to do. For all this posting, think of the great books we could be reading, places to which we could travel, meals we could eat, friends we could make, or exercises we could do. Instead, we talk to strange men on teh interwebz and buy poofty garments that rarely are "superlative' or great as we pretend they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads