• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UNCOMFORTABLE TROUSER BUTT AND its APEARANCE

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
there is no nice way to express it except to say it.
the trouser is riding *********** crack.
there are three causes 1. the back fork is too tight or
2. the center back seam is too crooked or
3. its both at the same time.

shown are the positions of the original trouser seams
they are marked A.

the cloth marked B. is used when the cause is tightness
at the back fork/thigh the fork is then let out.

when the trouser has plenty of ease and the problem is still there
the angle of the back seam is too crooked .
a new seam C. is used to to correct this.
the excess cloth here is cut away, that gives the extra room.
tailors call this scooping out the seat.

line x represents the bottom of the rise.
the alteration should not go below this line.
except when the rise is too shallow and needs to be deepened.

Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
I have been searching for advice around this issue and found this old post. I must say it has left me confused as most other advice I have seen has suggested that the more crooked the seat angle the more fullness there is around the base of the seat. But this seems to suggest the opposite. Is anyone able to clarify?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When you want more room at the base of the seat; making the seat seam crooked helps. This is applied when making a pattern and or cutting the trouser.

The adjustment above is in the context of creating more room in the lower seat as an adjustment/alteration to a finished garment when you only have outlets to work with. More room/depth is needed from the front fork to the back seat seam. Letting out the crotch and shaping/scooping the seat makes the area deeper front to back. This is what you do if the trouser fits with a wedgie.

In the context of pattern making you want to increase the stride with a prominent seat. You are increasing the area from the crotch point on the back part to the top of the back part at the outseam. Picture an arc between those two points. The seat seam is more crooked and the outseam on the back part is more open.

Using fewer words. Use the above example as an alteration if you need more front/back room in the crotch and seat.
Crook the seat line if you are making a pattern or cutting for a prominent seat and want to increase the stride across the seat.

Last edited:

Aloysius16

Reaction score
Thanks @Despos. I’m not sure I have ever understood how the seat is ‘scooped’ on a finished garment. Does it essentially amount to taking cloth in along the seat seam, thus making the ‘body room’ inside bigger?

I have some pants which I think need this adjustment as they are tight across the seat when I try to sit or when I lift my legs forward. The initial thought is that they need more room across the seat so need to let fabric out at the seat seam, but of course this will just make the seat seam curve tighter won’t it?. So is the solution instead to let cloth out at the outseams and take in the excess at the seat seam? (All this assuming the back rise is long enough)

(Incidentally the problem has occurred on the only two pairs of bespoke pants I have had made for me - by different tailors. Both look very clean when I stand upright but have discomfort when moving/sitting. As I walk, both have a tendency to wriggle down my hips)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads