unbuttoned sleeve

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jorge, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

Hello, I've been lurking in this forum for a bit and witnessed something recently that called out for a posting. [​IMG] A salesperson at a high-end clothing shop had one of his sleeve buttons not performing the task it was created to do. I thought it odd then realized that this might be to show that it could in fact be accomplished. Live and Let Live is something I strive to do but sometimes uncouf behavior must be cited. [​IMG] J

2. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

I'd lump unbuttoned jacket cuffs into the category of amateur sophistication.  It's an obvious affectation by people who are determined to show the world that their cuff buttons really do (look at 'em.) function.  These same people probably monogram their shirt cuffs to ensure maximum exposure of what could be a private pleasure.  Three cheers for subtlety, modesty, and discretion.

3. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I'm one of these pompous asses who unbuttons a sleeve button, unfortunately-- my 'dandyism' has most definitely gotten the better of me. I think it is, at least in part, due to my years in the Army-- where EVERYTHING had to be buttoned up at all times (the gortex coat? yes, it has a zipper- but the snaps at both ends must ALSO be snapped up.. wall locker during leadership training? Yes, all those uniforms hanging in the locker must have ALL buttons buttoned, even the six on the fly/ at the waist/ inside the waistband....etc., etc.). So, maybe for me it is a small defiance?

4. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I'm not jumping on anyone here but there is never a reason to have an unbuttoned coat sleeve unless it accidentally comes unbuttoned or you're delivering a baby.

Just my opinion.

5. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

LOVE the avatar... My favorite actor...

6. Jorge

Jorge Senior member

(drill sgt mode on) Button it or lose it soldier. (drill sgt mode off) btw thank you for serving our country.

7. Tuerney1

Tuerney1 Well-Known Member

Depends how dandyish one wants to be, I suppose. Some of the best dressers of the last century wore them unbottoned now and then, and I believe I've seen Luciano Barbera with at least one unbuttoned once, but I can't be sure of that last one. [​IMG]

8. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Jorge--
    Ha. Good post-- also, i was glad to serve my country, but i'm glad as hell I made it out before the current situation REALLY took a turn for the worst; terrible tragedy our president has brought upon the united states, mostly upon our soldiers themselves. tragic.

Anyways....yes, it's gotten so bad that i actually hang all the suits and sportcoats that have functional sleeve buttons with the last button undone-- they're that way in the closet, and i wear them that way, as well. funny, huh?

9. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Ah, but a true dandy wouldn't want to call attention to his clothes [​IMG]

10. Gatsby

Gatsby Senior member

So true. IMO, the goal of this forum and why certain men flock to it, is to find refuge from today's uber-brand conscious society . While we do long for Edward Green shoes, Borelli shirts, Oxxford suits, and similar branded luxury goods, we do so not for the brand cache, but the brand quality. This philosophy plainly put: we dress for ourselves not for others. If you brazenly unbutton your jacket sleeves essentially you are accepting a self-conscious stance that you need to be defined by others -- "Please, someone notice my working sleeve buttons." The true dandy would never need such affirmation and would be self-confident in anything he wears. The only times I can possibly think of where it is OK to unbutton your jacket sleeves would be if: 1.) it's cold outside and you have to leave your jacket on to deliver a baby, and 2.) out of sheer irony: but in this case you should also be wearing a black suit with light brown shoes with a black belt and a short sleeve button-down shirt with a tie.

11. taillfuzz

taillfuzz Active Member

The last buttons on my jacket are never buttoned; just as I would not fasten the bottom front button on my suit jacket or a vest. I view this as a fashion statement rather than an indicator of arrogance. I enjoy wearing great quality clothing and revel in all the minor features that make my attire special.

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

I do it just because I like the way it feels. I always wear the cuffs of my shirts open as well (I'm only talking about casual wear here).

13. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

You can view it as a symbolic representation of your opposition to the U.S. presence in Iraq but it doesn't make it so [​IMG] Sorry, but there is no connection between not buttoning the bottom button of your coat or sportcoat and not buttoning the final button on your cuff. Revel as you will however.

14. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've never made a practice of leaving them unbuttoned, but with everyone here telling me not to, I may just start... [​IMG]

15. Horace

Horace Senior member

I wear my cuff buttons open all the time. I think it lends a real touch of class to my outfit. It shows people that I spend a lot of money on my clothes and that I have real taste. I'm to insecure to keep them buttoned.