1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unbuttoned button down shirt & hands in pockets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Twotone, Oct 8, 2009.

1. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Yes, I know, I'm sorry for always posting about it too. I just wish I could get some more info on the ways that others tackle the issue (stave it off, throw away shiny garments, etc.). I'll ease up if I can get some more info.

What possible info do you want? Buy better quality fabrics. Deal with the fact that items that get worn get, well, worn.

2. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket. Maybe some guys like looking like they have fat, poofy hips.

Perhaps they put their hands in their pocket to indicate that their jackets are made to measure.

Personally, I don't bother to unsew RTW jackets. However, I do make use of MTM jacket pockets.

Do you understand how making RTW cuffs functional by cutting out buttonholes may be an attempt to show that the jacket is MTM?

Is this for real or meant to be sarcastic? Why would you keep your jacket pockets sewn shut??? You think they are intended to stay sewn shut?

3. sifl

sifl Well-Known Member

Is this for real or meant to be sarcastic? Why would you keep your jacket pockets sewn shut??? You think they are intended to stay sewn shut?

It is a bit unsettling indeed if not a joke.

4. romafan

romafan Senior member

I dont remember Foof ever doing the hand in pocket thing.

Attachment 30485

He pulled his hand out just before pic was taken.....[​IMG]

5. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.

A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

Tres profound, Monsier le Doctor! Comme Voltaire a dit, "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" [​IMG]

6. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

No, use the pants pockets if your going to put your hands somewhere, not the front jacket pockets. Those are simply for show and not to be used in such a way.

7. binge

binge Senior member

I think foof started this trend, no? [​IMG]

He is the alpha and the omega; the master and the commander.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Do you just not care and chalk the shine up to patina and love as well?
    I don't know about Doc, but personally I discard them and get another pair.

9. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

The same reason you leave the tags on. So you can sell it NWT.

Leaving the shirt collar buttons undone shows you know it shouldn't be worn with a tie but you don't give a damn.