1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unbuttoned button down shirt & hands in pockets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Twotone, Oct 8, 2009.

1. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

but who would wear a button-down shirt with a suit? [​IMG]

me.

2. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

To people who complain about putting hands in the jacket pocket, have you ever tried?
    It's pretty comfy, and I find I feel very nonchalant and chilled doing it. I wouldn't do it with my dj or a "smart" suit, but with a more casual jacket I am a big fan, and I don't see what is objectionable about it.

i do that all the time...

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

bad look. would never do it.

4. a tailor

a tailor Senior member Dubiously Honored

Its Legal Its Just Sprezzatura.

5. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I really like carrying things in my front pockets. They're extremely useful for carrying tickets, receipts, notes, and other small paper items.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Just when I think this forum can't get any weirder, people start complaining about others actually...gasp...using their pockets. [​IMG]

Soon we'll be complaining about people who smile for photos. Obviously an affectation and NOT spazzatura.

7. vitaminc

vitaminc Senior member

Its Legal Its Just Sprezzatura.

since when is putting hands in pockets sprezzatura [​IMG]

I really like carrying things in my front pockets. They're extremely useful for carrying tickets, receipts, notes, and other small paper items.

+1

8. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

since when is putting hands in pockets sprezzatura [​IMG]

It shows you were nonchalant enough (gasp!) to unstitch the pockets open? [​IMG]

9. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

bad look. would never do it.
    I do it, daily.

10. Corniche

Corniche Senior member

I button down shirts, but even most unbuttoned-[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. romafan

romafan Senior member

I think foof started this trend, no? [​IMG]

12. winston

winston Senior member

To people who complain about putting hands in the jacket pocket, have you ever tried?
    It's pretty comfy, and I find I feel very nonchalant and chilled doing it. I wouldn't do it with my dj or a "smart" suit, but with a more casual jacket I am a big fan, and I don't see what is objectionable about it.

I think it looks very awkward. The angle and placement of the pockets really isn't right for accepting a hand on the end of a relaxed arm. I've tried it and it feels as awkward as it looks. Plus I'm sure they will become misshapen before too long.

13. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

I button down shirts, but even most unbuttoned-[​IMG] [​IMG]

Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.

A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

I think this is a measured, calculated way of showing nonchalance, and I don't care for it. I really don't care for the unbuttoned collar.

As for the pockets, I don't care whether they're opened or not, but for those that use them, what do you put in the pockets of your suit jacket? I've never felt the need to use them.

14. gshen

gshen Senior member Affiliate Vendor

hands in pockets -- sometimes its because its just too fkkkkkking cold? (like just an hour ago when i was out) [​IMG]

15. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

I think foof started this trend, no? [​IMG]

I dont remember Foof ever doing the hand in pocket thing.

16. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.
    A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

I unstitch mine. Clothing looks better worn in and well loved. Why should I want to go somewhere looking like I bought an outfit for the purpose?
    As for the small details: I used to be anal about 'em, but now I'm not. Personally, I think it's a change for the better.

Doc,

I completely agree. The one exception I keep getting hung-up on, though, is shiny wool. I'll admit that I do a few things (like taking my jacket off at my desk and trying to avoid sliding around on slick seats) to try to itigate the shine that develops on worsted. I'm sure your worsteds shine, too. Do you just not care and chalk the shine up to patina and love as well?

17. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Doc,

I completely agree. The one exception I keep getting hung-up on, though, is shiny wool. I'll admit that I do a few things (like taking my jacket off at my desk and trying to avoid sliding around on slick seats) to try to itigate the shine that develops on worsted. I'm sure your worsteds shine, too. Do you just not care and chalk the shine up to patina and love as well?

We get it; you don't like shine. [​IMG]

18. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I shove my hands and other things in my pockets all the time. I simply don't care and find them much easier to gain access to then my interior pockets. In fact, nearly all of my coat pockets have smaller pockets sewn into the lining, like below. Why the hell else would they make coat pockets like this, if they were not intended to be used? [​IMG]

19. The Louche

The Louche Senior member

We get it; you don't like shine. [​IMG]

Yes, I know, I'm sorry for always posting about it too. I just wish I could get some more info on the ways that others tackle the issue (stave it off, throw away shiny garments, etc.). I'll ease up if I can get some more info.

20. sifl

sifl Well-Known Member

Have more suits in your rotation. Buy better cloths.