Unbuttoned button down shirt & hands in pockets?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Twotone, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

What's up with this look? I see quite a few photos of Italian men with their "button down" shirts not buttoned and hands in their suit jacket pockets. I don't even un-stitch my pockets.

Twotone

From the Sartorialist:

[​IMG]

2. MrBon

MrBon Well-Known Member

I don't like the look, its unfinished, its sloppy, just wear a shirt without buttons, or at least have the buttons removed.

3. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Bunch of slackers.

I do use my jacket pockets though for things other than my hands. That is what they are there for after all.

4. sifl

sifl Well-Known Member

That is buffala stools.

5. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Meant to indicate nonchalance and show an indifference to their expensive and carefully coordinated clothing.

I can see why people object, but I find the conceit more appealing than the uncomfortable awkwardness you see from guys trying to baby their nice clothes. They look like they're being held hostage by their suits.

A few flaws, intentional or not, are better than creepy perfection, or failed attempts at perfection.

7. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Senior member

I don't think those unbuttoned collars ever look good in person. I've seen them a handful of times and they were more an annoyance than a statement. Much like someone having a giant loose white thread on the back of a dark jacket. You can't help but stare at it and offer to help.

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket. Maybe some guys like looking like they have fat, poofy hips.

8. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Perhaps they put their hands in their pocket to indicate that their jackets are made to measure.

Personally, I don't bother to unsew RTW jackets. However, I do make use of MTM jacket pockets.

9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

I'm having trouble understanding how a sewn jacket pocket being unsewn in order to put ones hands inside of it shows that the jacket is MTM.

10. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Senior member

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket.
    They are, in fact, not ornamental. I hear some people complain about them sagging out, but it's never happened to me.

As for the unbuttoned button-down, [​IMG]

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think those unbuttoned collars ever look good in person. I've seen them a handful of times and they were more an annoyance than a statement. Much like someone having a giant loose white thread on the back of a dark jacket. You can't help but stare at it and offer to help.

Not a clue why you'd unsew the pockets on a suit jacket. Maybe some guys like looking like they have fat, poofy hips.

I unstitch mine. Clothing looks better worn in and well loved. Why should I want to go somewhere looking like I bought an outfit for the purpose?

As for the small details: I used to be anal about 'em, but now I'm not. Personally, I think it's a change for the better.

12. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

[​IMG]

I don't care for unbuttoned collars, but seriously, the pockets thing is just stupid. Use them.

13. ysc

ysc Senior member

To people who complain about putting hands in the jacket pocket, have you ever tried?
    It's pretty comfy, and I find I feel very nonchalant and chilled doing it. I wouldn't do it with my dj or a "smart" suit, but with a more casual jacket I am a big fan, and I don't see what is objectionable about it.

14. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Just when I think this forum can't get any weirder, people start complaining about others actually...gasp...using their pockets. [​IMG]

15. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I'm having trouble understanding how a sewn jacket pocket being unsewn in order to put ones hands inside of it shows that the jacket is MTM.

Do you understand how making RTW cuffs functional by cutting out buttonholes may be an attempt to show that the jacket is MTM?