1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Unattractiveness and the discussion of style

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by thealbatross, Jun 23, 2006.

1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

If this is the case I sincerely hope that I employ more tact in the future. I didn't mean to be hard on any individual or group of people here with the possible exception of myself. I concede to your points as they apply to your own pursuit of style; or luxury, whatever term we want to use, as you seem very clear (internally) with your own intentions. I do think that my original point stands for a large portion of the forum (which I include myself a part of) and even more so now due to the responses I have received in this thread; many which are constructive and honest in their own right even if the participants are not aware of their own candidness.

This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode in which Jerry concludes that 95 percent of people are undatable. (UNDATABLE!)

I wonder if this thread isn't built, at least in part, on the presupposition that the participants in a style forum must be dashing, handsome young men dressed to the nines at all times. (The anonymity of the 'Net helps make this believable.) But I imagine we're really just like any other group -- some of us are fat, some thin; some beautiful, some homely. Really, would you consider the majority of society at large to be "attractive"?

Beyond that, I find the evidence too flimsy to make any sweeping conclusions. Some folks, I'm sure, dress well because it aids their appearance, some because it's a way to show off, some because dressing well is its own noble goal. If anything, I'm impressed at how many of our posters seem to fall into the latter category.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

I am ugly, poor, rude, and I smell funny. But I have a huge package. That totally makes up for it as far as most of the ladies are concerned.

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think that the members of this forum are probably more attractive (regardless of clothing) than the average population.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

how do you go about formulating an opinion on your own attractiveness, or
    Quality of tail pulled.

Seriously though, why would anyone need to judge thier own attractiveness? I'm short so I'd like to be taller, stocky so I need to take that into consideration when I dress. But as far as facial features go, they can't be affected, so who cares?

5. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I am ugly, poor, rude, and I smell funny. But I have a huge package. That totally makes up for it as far as most of the ladies are concerned.

Ugly ladies or pretty ladies?[​IMG]

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

As is often the case, this discussion is, in general, the middle-brow versus the high-brow and low-brow. Usually the middle-brow sets, preserves and inforces the rules of attractiveness, style and fashion. Often the low-brow is into streetware, etc and conspicuous consumption. Much of the time the high-brow does or doesn't follow the rules of the middle-brow or low-brow, but selects rules from each at their leasure and pleasure while making up their own rules.

So basically you think people that are into streetwear are lowbrow consumerists? Nice analysis...

7. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Hi,

There are multiple points to address.

1) Humprey Bogard's facial attractiveness was not bad at the start of his career.

2) Surveys and other evidence suggest that physical attractiveness is more sought after than it used to be.

3) Researchers have found that a man's perceived physical attractiveness is affected by the female companionship he keeps.

4) Many, many studies have found that better-looking candidates are more likely to receive job offers.

5) Judging by findings about online dating and speed dating, which more and more people use these days, male physical attractiveness probably matters more in dating success than in professional success.

6) "Through this study it was found that women and men share the same views on whether the male photos they were exposed to were attractive, neutral or unattractive. Some differences between the sexes surfaced on the extremity of their views of attractive versus unattractive males but were not significant. The men saw both the attractive and unattractive male photos as less attractive than their female counterparts. The significant difference, on the other hand, was between the sexes concerning their views on the neutral male photo. It was found that males viewed the neutral male more positively than the females did."

7) Men overestimate the amount of muscularity that women find attractive in men.

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Can you really judge how attractive other dudes are? I can't. I can guess, and sometimes get it right at the extremes, but otherwise have no clue whatsoever.

I can in your case, I love the long black hair, the milky white skin, the almond-shaped eyes and the tastefully applied lipstick on your gorgeous lips...oh wait that's not you nevermind....[​IMG]

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Ugly ladies or pretty ladies?[​IMG]

Mostly fat, filthy rich, redneck women with no apparent skills, you know, like Britney Spears.

10. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Also, although many studies focus on only 3 to 5 levels of attractiveness, research into attractiveness and wealth has found that slight differences add up.

11. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I can in your case, I love the long black hair, the milky white skin, the almond-shaped eyes and the tastefully applied lipstick on your gorgeous lips...oh wait that's not you nevermind....[​IMG]
    Damn, and you were making me feel all good about myself there for a minute...

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

LOL pwned!!

13. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Even though I'm a newbie, I'll throw in my two cents.

I recently passed the Bar in my state (hence my resurrected interest in dressing well that goes beyond having one "nice suit" in the closet, and which led to the discovery of this forum). Prior to being sworn in, all new Bar members are required to attend a series of seminars/lectures that are conducted by the top attorneys in this state. Over the course of three days one thing that struck me about all of these men (and there were a few women as well) was that while none of them were GQ/Esquire model material, they all knew how to dress well. They exuded a sense of style that was not fashion conscious, foppish, or dated. In particular, the man who is considered the finest criminal defense attorney in this state is definitely not high on anyone's "attractive" meter, but he more than compensated for it by his impecabbly tailored suit, shirt, and tie. And for those of us who aren't model material, that's the key, IMO.

Here's a pic of me signing the Roll of Attorneys after being sworn in at the Supreme Court. Suit is Ralph Lauren navy pin stripe in Super 100s. Tie by Bill Blass.

[​IMG]

14. VMan

VMan Senior member

Lets all post our photos.

Like a StyleForum Hot-or-Not!

15. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Like a StyleForum Hot-or-Not!

yea as long as it doesnt turn into a bunch of guys emulating ratemycameltoe.com

16. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

yea as long as it doesnt turn into a bunch of guys emulating ratemycameltoe.com

That ties in nicely to the recent "Critique My Outfit" thread with the guy spreading his legs. [​IMG]

17. JeffC

JeffC Senior member

How many in attendance used the cheap Bic Sticks?

18. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

How many in attendance used the cheap Bic Sticks?

I didn't notice. I consider having a good pen part of being well dressed. The day before the swearing in my Waterman ran out of ink so my trusty all stainless Parker was called into service. [​IMG]

The interesting thing about the Roll of Attorneys is that it goes all the way back to 1809, an unbroken chain that every lawyer admitted to the Bar in this state has signed upon being sworn in.

19. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I consider having a good pen part of being well dressed.

Meet a fool who has spent untold thousands upholding this golden precept. [​IMG]

20. thealbatross

thealbatross Active Member

Seriously though, why would anyone need to judge thier own attractiveness? I'm short so I'd like to be taller, stocky so I need to take that into consideration when I dress. But as far as facial features go, they can't be affected, so who cares?

I am not making assumptions that most people look in the mirror everyday deliberating over their own attractiveness, but surely over the course of your life you have come to a conclusion, perhaps unconsciously over this issue; unless you lack any thread of self-awareness. On a forum where nearly every nuance of dress is discussed I would find it hard to believe that the majority of members haven't spent a disproportionate amount of time thinking about their facial features at one time or another in their life, considering the amount of discussion here on such particulars as Goodyear welting, and pocket square folds; it would only seem natural that such analysis has been applied to more personal issues.