• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Unable to wear black shoes anymore!

Maximus Mark

Reaction score
Ever since I stumbled upon AAAC and SF some months ago, I have expanded my brown shoe collection from 1 to 7+ pairs.

However, I am now unable to wear any of my black shoes because, damnit, I think they look ugly with everything and extremely dull, not to mention every other man I see has these unsightly black square/STEEL-toed abominations. I spent a fair bit on them too, mostly AE's at near retail.

HELP! How can black shoes possibly look good during the day (business/casual setting)? What matches? My thanks to you!

BDCook

Reaction score
I feel the same way, luckily I was saved from the black leather just before starting my first real job.

Now my black shoes only get pulled out when we are meeting with a conservative client.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I share your feelings totally. I presently have eight pairs of black shoes. If I had it to do it over again, I would have only purchased two--my A-E Park Avenues and my A-E Byrons.

Except to funerals and dressy evening affairs, I really don't like wearing black shoes at all. Sometimes I have to contrive outfits just so that I can get some honest wear out of the other black shoes I have and give my beloved brown shoes a slightly greater respite in their rotation.

pkincy

Reaction score
I have a fabulous new pair of EG for Polo MacKay captoes in black. And they get worn very seldom unless I just decide I have to wear them and put on a grey suit and use black rather than brown accessories.

I also have a less than 6 month old pair of AE Fairfax in black and almost never wear them.

Well I am getting older so maybe my wife will bury me in the AEs and sell the MacKays on the forum to get some spending money.

Perry
blush.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
what does the "x" mark mean?

mbc

Reaction score
I love black shoes. You guys are nuts.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had never seen nicely coloured brown shoes before SF. Seriously. I have two pairs of black boots, a chukka and a brogued chukka & one pair of black shoes, an AE Park Avenue. The rest are varying shades of brown (plus some distressed/antiqued burgundy Dr Martens brogues).

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Black shoes have their place. Check out Tom Cruise in Collateral: brown shoes would have been completely out of place on that character, in that suit. I'm going to get a pair of Vass London in black for just such outfits.

Tom

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maximus Mark

I am now unable to wear any of my black shoes because, damnit, I think they look ugly

HELP! How can black shoes possibly look good during the day

Get a pretty pair of black shoes.

DSCF0169.jpg

C&A

Reaction score
Beautiful medaillon, what make are these?

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of 13 pair of shoes 2 are black, the rest brown or some variation. The black shoe pictured(don't know make / model) points out one of the problems I have with the aesthetics of the black brogue shoe. Because it is dark you can't see the detailing that the shoe has like you can with most shades of brown. It's a contrast issue.

However, this particular shoe, or the camera flash has solved this problem. I do like black shoes, but the two pair I have are minimal in their styling.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Black shoes have their place.
Tom

I agree Tom. I don't have too many pairs, but they can be quite nice and a good change-up from brown. I just get these RLPL from GVH...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads