Unable to wear black shoes anymore!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Maximus Mark, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Strokeman

Strokeman Active Member

I love black shoes. You guys are nuts.

Agreed. I love my black shoes as well. Brown is lovely, eye catching and I have more browns than blacks, but when it's time to be serious at work then black easily rules. For me at least:

Dress shoes = business shoes. Business = serious. Serious = black shoes. Simplistic perhaps, but business is not immune from bouts of curious attitudes, ill-considered points of view and other human frailties.

On a somewhat unrelated point, brown shoes and dark suits can sometimes make me feel like a chihuahua. Thankfully I'm 6'4" so my clients are less likely to think the way I feel. [​IMG]

2. Tibo

Tibo Senior member

There are situations where black shoes are _required_. In a conservative business environment (and there are quite a couple of those: professional services, public affairs, corporate lawyers, investment banking), brown shoes can easily be frowned upon.

Plus, black shoes from a good shoemaker and with a nice shine actually *are* nice.

3. stach

stach Senior member

Well I am getting older so maybe my wife will bury me in the AEs and sell the MacKays on the forum to get some spending money.

Perry [​IMG]

Shoes are not worn in coffins.

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

On a somewhat unrelated point, brown shoes and dark suits can sometimes make me feel like a chihuahua. Thankfully I'm 6'4" so my clients are less likely to think the way I feel. [​IMG]

That's very interesting. An evil Chihuahua? (puts pinky to mouth, Dr Evil style)

I agree with Tibo, and not just because I love belgian chocolates, good quality black shoes look rich and gather their own unique patina.

5. thinman

thinman Senior member

Black shoes have their place.

Tom

Agreed. Although I now own many more pairs of brown shoes than black, thanks to StyleForum and AAAC, there are times when black is just more appropriate. I would guess that roughly 1/3 of my shoes are black, but I wear them much less often than my beloved brown shoes. Brown shoes can just take on such a rich patina that black can't possible match.[​IMG]

6. ATM

ATM Senior member

what does the "x" mark mean?
    The caption says "Thumbs down".

7. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

However, I am now unable to wear any of my black shoes because, damnit, I think they look ugly with everything and extremely dull, not to mention every other man I see has these unsightly black square/STEEL-toed abominations. I spent a fair bit on them too, mostly AE's at near retail.
    I think you drank too much AAAC/SF kool-aid. Black is a colour (yeah, yeah, I know) and limiting yourself from a colour because other people think it shows limited imagination, shows limited imagination yourself. Take what people editorialize upon here and AAAC as suggestions or musings, not gospel. Meanwhile, I wear black shoes and I feel fine.

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Anyone with good black shoes in US 11 who don't need them anymore may drop them off at my house. Thank you.

9. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

One thing I will say is that I wear black shoes far more often in fall and winter as the fabrications and colors that i wear in the summer almost always lend themselves more favorably to brown shoes.

10. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I think you drank too much AAAC/SF kool-aid.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

One thing I will say is that I wear black shoes far more often in fall and winter as the fabrications and colors that i wear in the summer almost always lend themselves more favorably to brown shoes.

I've found the same thing myself.

12. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i have this problem too! but i am not permitted to where other colored shoe other than black - stupid HK old fashion office dress codes - but i also remember reading that in the city people that wear brown shoe were concidered un trustworthy!!

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Folks, black is one of many shoe colors. Some people like black shoes (including me). Some can do without black shoes. Some like cowboy boots, some don't. Some like squared-toe shoes, some can't abide them. etc
    It's neither a sin or virtue to wear black shoes. It's a choice--not a religion.

14. creat3cp

creat3cp Well-Known Member

kitonbrioni, you have a nice blog. Can we exchange links? yes, most guys will have at least a pair of black shoe I guess if they need to attend formal dinner. Cannot imagine black suit with other colour shoes.

15. whoopee

whoopee Senior member