Umbrella Suggestions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bonded, Apr 19, 2011.

1. bonded

bonded Active Member

It is spring and its raining...I'm tired of carting around cheap golf umbrellas. Any thoughts on this Brooks Brother model?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

Briggs and James Smith seem to be the top reccomendations, but both are pricey. Open to alternatives though...

Thanks!

2. JRB

JRB Well-Known Member

3. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Would recommend the umbrellas offered at Howard Yount. Although, not as many styles offered as before.

Howard Yount

4. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

I just finally bought a Brigg in oak...wish I had bought it twenty years ago.

5. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

The usual recs on here are Fox, Smith, SAB and Howard Yount. J Peterman had some cherry SABs on sale awhile back but I believe we cleaned them out.

6. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

7. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Talarico blows away Brigg in quality and price, but you have to take what you can find.

8. entrero

entrero Senior member

Whangee comes at a premium these days, I don't believe BB are quality. There are Davek and Senz, but these are definitely more modern.

9. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

Davek. Come with an unconditional lifetime guarantee.

10. computerpro3

computerpro3 Senior member

LOVE my Davek. Holds up to Ohio severe storms just fine.

11. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

Talarico blows away Brigg in quality and price, but you have to take what you can find.

Yep. I love my Talarico, but can't find another with the handle I am looking for and will probably end up settling for something at Rain or Shine (Fox).

12. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

The Blackwatch umbrella at Howard Yount is awesome and receives nearly endless praise (especially from teh ladiez).

13. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

ShedRain makes nice cheap ones. The ribs aren't very strong, but they have a storm flap, which really helps make up for the weaker rib construction. It's extremely hard to have this invert on you. You can buy them for around $15-20. For about the same amount, you can also go with Totes, which is on sale right now at Belt Outlet. It's a fuller sized umbrella, but doesn't have the storm flap.

I personally like my Brooks umbrella, as well. Never had a problem with it. On sale, they're quite a good deal, and Brooks is about to have their Friends and Family sale soon. I picked mine up for $30.

Additionally, Orvis is also selling a Barbour umbrella that I think is handsome. It has tartan design that I like.

Another good one is Davek. They retail for $100, but you often see them on Gilt for around $50.

Howard Yount's are incredible. They're handmade by a third-generation family-owned umbrella company in Italy. The shaft is one solid stick of chestnut wood, which is really nice. It's a bit heavier than the other options, because of that full wooden shaft, but it's much better looking.

Finally, for really high end ones, Briggs, Talarico, and Francesco Maglia are incredible. All three have OTR models, but they'll also make you bespoke umbrellas. Depending what kind you get, they'll run you between $200 to $1,000

14. bonded

bonded Active Member

Thank you, all. I've decided to go with the Howard Yount. It is a decent price point and I like the solid wood construction. Love the Briggs, but I'm not ready to jump up to that price yet.

Thanks again!

15. JonathanCWalker

JonathanCWalker Senior member

What size did you get?