• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ulysse Nardin vintage . . . help please

Torrente

Reaction score
Hello gentelman . .

I am writting from Hanoi . . .here on a business trip . . .

I managed to get in contact, thru a friend, with a small antique shop . . . with very nice things . . . but Im no expert .. .

They also carry vintage watches . . . WW2 and so on . . .

There is this Ulysse Nardin, no doubt on its origin . . . its an original . . . but I wasnt able to find it on line . . .

Steel case . . . quite large . . .transparent back, automatic . . . cca 1950-1960 . . . solid condition . . roman numerals on black. . . It looks very interesting . .. I suppose its a military watch . . . functions properly . . .the mechanism has a serial number and is in excellent condition . . .

I managed to get the price down to 250 US . . .

Does anyone recognize the discription . . .

Should I go thru with it . . . HELP please . . .

Thanks . . .

Torrente

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a photo would help. Also, if you manage to get down to $250, it's likely that the watch is worth $10 in those parts of the world. For the love of puppies, try to construct your sentences more logically next time without so many ellipsis, which forced the reader to infer what you are trying to say and no one here has the patience, myself included.

Try timezone.com sub forums, esp. the repair forum and the UN forum. You'd probably get more expert advice over there.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coho
Try timezone.com sub forums, esp. the repair forum and the UN forum. You'd probably get more expert advice over there.

And they would tell you to get a good close up photo of the inner mechanism of the watch to see if was in good condition. If you could get a photo, they would refuse to give you an evaluation as it is against their forum rules. Lastly, they would tell you to "buy the seller" first and the watch second.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sator
And they would tell you to get a good close up photo of the inner mechanism of the watch to see if was in good condition. If you could get a photo, they would refuse to give you an evaluation as it is against their forum rules. Lastly, they would tell you to "buy the seller" first and the watch second.
Show him a better, yet still viable, alternative then.

Re: vintages watch in Viet Nam;

I have read that most vintages watches floating around VN, or SE Asia in general, are "frankenwatch". This means they've been tampered with, dials or crowns not original parts, or even replaced movements etc. There are stories about 40-50s JLC with cheap Chinese movements. LabelKing made a good point about the exhibition caseback. If I were you, I'd be very careful.

That said, even if that UN is not 100% original, it might still be worth the asking price. If you don't care much for (perfect) authenticity, the company history, and resale values (in other words, if you're a normal, not TZ-contaminated person
laugh.gif
), just buy it if you like the watch.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Show him a better, yet still viable, alternative then.

The point I was inferring, and I think you will agree with me, was that I would doubt that the seller would even allow the OP to get a decent picture of the watch for an independent evaluation.

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
...If you don't care much for (perfect) authenticity, the company history, and resale values (in other words, if you're a normal, not TZ-contaminated person) ...

Sacrelige!

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must admit that the TZ admins are a bunch of wankers but the OP can always mention private message as an alternative medium for communication. The OP can restate his question without mentioning that he is Vietnam. If it's fake, some dude will point it out. Another place: pmwf.com or poor man's watch forum. Don't be fooled by the name as those guys are rolling around with Rolexes and GOs and I know two members who "collect" F.P. Journe watches. The discussion milieu is much more relaxed and not as corporate oriented as TZ. Since Sator mention it, I'd say that TZ is not a good place to talk watches any more with so many trivial rules and regulations.
Originally Posted by Sator

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll quote myself from this thread:
I think the watch, with the fifty years old PP case, and a new quartz (or Chinese Seagull) movement sums up the last fifty years of Vietnamese history beautifully. In a historical context, the watch tells a story that is far more interesting and dramatic than a pristine vintage PP watch could tell. It's a conversation piece. Buy it for exactly what it is.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
A proper vintage watch wouldn't have a transparent back.

This is key. There's no way that watch is all original. I'd be skeptical of what's been done to the insides.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe M@t purchased a really ugly vintage PP Frankenwatch for approximately $50 USD.

Torrente

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

For your precious info and advices. That was just what I was looking for.

I actually decided not to buy it. I went back for further inspection, and it is definitively the case whacked explained . . .

It has a UN movement and the crown, but everything else is not original, probably.

The problem is that I fell in love with it at first glance, and then couldn't get a grip on myself. Everything you said is true.

I thought of buying it just for the sentimental value, even dough I was clearly being ripped of. If the seller was willing to drop the price I would go thru with it. But he wasnt.

This truly is a fake mecha. From watches to ''genuine'' war Zippos .. . faked almost to perfection.

Still there are lots of nice things to be found, like; silks, MOP products, silver, ivory (bought beautiful ivory chopsticks with a landscape engraving), ceramics and wooden figurines . . .

I actually commissioned a jacket and a traditional dress for my girlfriend in a silk mix from a tailor. It should be ready tomorrow.

If there is interest I can post pictures when I return, of the jacket and the trip, and also of the watch in question (the seller didn't mind).

Thank you once again.

Tam biet from Hanoi,

Torrente

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads