• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ultralight hoodie

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my first post on the streetwear forum-

I am in the market for a hoodie that is about as warm as a standard cotton hoodie by gap or old navy, but is very thin, like underarmor or coolmax or something like that. I travel with a hoodie, and it is one of the most bulky items in my bag.

any suggestions?

fashionnoob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
my first post on the streetwear forum-

I am in the market for a hoodie that is about as warm as a standard cotton hoodie by gap or old navy, but is very thin, like underarmor or coolmax or something like that. I travel with a hoodie, and it is one of the most bulky items in my bag.

any suggestions?

american apparel has some that are thin, well-insulated, and cheap. not going to be underarmor thin though.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fashionnoob
american apparel has some that are thin, well-insulated, and cheap. not going to be underarmor thin though.

I concur with AA. They're light, thin, and comfy; but not "well-insulated" as they're fairly thin.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The American Apparel hoodies are not really warm, and won't really pack much smaller than a standard champion (esp if you get the thermal lined). Has anyone tried their "new Flex fleece"?

You're probably best off with some kind of performance fabric from a sportswear company. Patagonia makes fleece hoodies that could squeeze into a pack.

Streetwear snobbery would point you to acronym, but I have yet to meet anyone who wants to drop $250+ on a hoodie. I have no in-person experience with acronym.

EDIT: the performance fabric hoodies may be warmer than you're looking for.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cashmere is the best warmth/bulk fabric you're going to find a hoodie made of. Capeline or merino wool are much more affordable options - look for hoodies in baselayer weight. (I think you might have trouble finding these cut for men.)

raley

Reaction score
I would go with american apparel. With our without the thermal lining (thermal is obviously going to be warmer). It will pack probably like 2 t-shirts as opposed to a champion hoodie which is going to be really thick all folded up.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks. there is an american apparel in my town, I will go and explore what they have.

brimley

Reaction score
If you go for an athletic type hoodie, I recommend Nike Dri-Fit. You can find these on sale fairly easily and they're super thin. Very slim fit, I own a pullover model, spectacular. I also have a Salomon zip up, which has thumb holes, but is short in the sleeves (I have long arms) and a little bulkier and. Still a very comfortable mesh. I've been impressed with other Coolmax products but have a hard time recommending Under Armor. Also, for serious weight/warmth considerations, consider Arc'Teryx hoodies.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nyf
Also, for serious weight/warmth considerations, consider Arc'Teryx hoodies.

seconded. Acronym gets occasional mentions but it's too bad companies like Arcteryx don't get more play in the Streetwear forum. if i lived in a cold weather climate, i'd definitely be wearing some Arcteryx stuff.

that being said, i've always been a fan of the Arcteryx Covert hoodies. easily the lightest and warmest hoodie i own and it doesn't look like you just walked offf the slopes.

-Jeff

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third, on Arc'Teryx stuff. Undoubtedly some of the very best stuff money can buy, but also come with heavy pricetags. Unless you're an elitist, or have cash to spare, Arc'Teryx might be an overkill.

I'm an elitist, so...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
boy, i get the feeling that I simply can't ask this without sounding like a real nerd, but where would one go to find Nike dri-fit? I saw that REI carries Arcteryx, and I have passed an American Apparel store on my way through town. I haven't been in a real clothing store (not gym clothes or tailored clothes) in years.

brimley

Reaction score
Nike Dri Fit can be found at department stores like Nordstrom's or at sporting goods stores like Sports Authority or Dick's. For Arc'Teryx, high end gear stores like REI will carry it but it won't be cheap. Unfortunately, finding Arc'Teryx on discount is not easy. I recommend www.backcountry.com or www.altrec.com for technical gear purchases after you've tried something on. It will probably be cheaper than REI.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
REI, at least on-line, is a stockist for Nike Dri-Fit merch. i believe i've seen Nike merch in the brick and mortar REIs too. if you're near a Nike outlet, that might be your best bet. otherwise, just about any major sports clothing retailer will carry Nike Dri-Fit.

-Jeff

Originally Posted by globetrotter
boy, i get the feeling that I simply can't ask this without sounding like a real nerd, but where would one go to find Nike dri-fit? I saw that REI carries Arcteryx, and I have passed an American Apparel store on my way through town. I haven't been in a real clothing store (not gym clothes or tailored clothes) in years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads