1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

ULTRAGEEKS -The Unoficial Thread (ultra-endurance sports)

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Fueco, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Rather than derail the running thread over and over, here's a new place to discuss all things pertaining to Ultra-Endurance Sports, whether it be running, swimming, cycling, or all three...

2. wingin' it

wingin' it Distinguished Member

Like the thread.
    The 50 I trained for was pretty easy with training. Many plans out there and most were relatively the same. Lots of 20-25 mile runs, a 50K, and a few 25-30 training runs to practice eating, what foods worked, run / walk pacing, clothes, and shoes. Things went very well and finished with a time and effort I was happy with.
    Things I didn't realize or plan for were after the race. Took an ice bath, ate, drank, went to bed. Good case of edema in right foot a day or two after and lasted for 3-4 days. Just about got now.
    Read alot about compression gear after, icing feet, joints, etc. Elevation of legs after the event. Quite a few things I missed that I'll catch next time.
    I'd be interested to know what others have had success with for recovery efforts after the race. I plan to walk, stretch, light elliptical work, for close to 7-10 days and then slowly get back into running longer.
    I know each person is different in terms of age, body, years running, etc., but what has worked for any of you to have a successful recovery after an ultra event?

3. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Compression gear during the race and rest, ice, compression and elevation after the race. Kick your feet up and ice them for a couple of days. I always get the swelling bad. After UMWC last year, my feet hurt horribly for a week. The flight home from Kona didn't help!

4. wingin' it

wingin' it Distinguished Member