• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ULTRAGEEKS -The Unoficial Thread (ultra-endurance sports)

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than derail the running thread over and over, here's a new place to discuss all things pertaining to Ultra-Endurance Sports, whether it be running, swimming, cycling, or all three...

Quote:
I've also been struggling with this same issue... I signed up for a 100k race last May, but had to drop out due to an overuse injury from training too much. Finding the balance between doing enough and overdoing it is quite a challenge.

That's partly why I'm taking it fairly easy at the moment. The only running race I've signed up for yet this year is the Golden Gate Relay (a 12-person relay covering 192 miles (I ran a total of 17.6 miles during the race last year)). I'm also planning to do a half Ironman in August, and possibly a marathon in December. There's an outside chance that I will sign up for another 50 miler late in the season, but finding a Western States qualifier that works with my cycling schedule is a challenge.

Ultraman Florida is the end goal of the current training cycle. It's in February, so almost a year away. My aim is to go considerably faster there than in previous goes at that distance.

wingin' it

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like the thread.
The 50 I trained for was pretty easy with training. Many plans out there and most were relatively the same. Lots of 20-25 mile runs, a 50K, and a few 25-30 training runs to practice eating, what foods worked, run / walk pacing, clothes, and shoes. Things went very well and finished with a time and effort I was happy with.
Things I didn't realize or plan for were after the race. Took an ice bath, ate, drank, went to bed. Good case of edema in right foot a day or two after and lasted for 3-4 days. Just about got now.
Read alot about compression gear after, icing feet, joints, etc. Elevation of legs after the event. Quite a few things I missed that I'll catch next time.
I'd be interested to know what others have had success with for recovery efforts after the race. I plan to walk, stretch, light elliptical work, for close to 7-10 days and then slowly get back into running longer.
I know each person is different in terms of age, body, years running, etc., but what has worked for any of you to have a successful recovery after an ultra event?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compression gear during the race and rest, ice, compression and elevation after the race. Kick your feet up and ice them for a couple of days. I always get the swelling bad. After UMWC last year, my feet hurt horribly for a week. The flight home from Kona didn't help!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads