• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ultra portable laptop + phone replacement

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with either internet or business commnuication devices? I'm thinking along the lines of the Nokia N770/N800 or the iMate Jasjar. My laptop has been beat to hell and should probably be relegated to stationary use, so I'm looking for something extremely portable to replace it. If I can get a functional cell phone and camera in the same package, I'll be thrilled.

Basic needs are word processing, email/internet, and powerpoint presentations on the computer front. As a phone, it probably only needs to work in cities, but it needs to work in all cities and countries. Camera is just for snapshots, nothing special.

I hate the form factor on blackberries and other mobile devices that I've seen--I'd like to have a realish keyboard and larger screen. The Nokia and iMate are the only ones I've found that have both (as an external device on the Nokia) and still look more or less like a phone when you hold them to your ear (not really into earpieces, either). The Nokia is cheaper and has a better screen, but only has "internet telephony," which makes me worry that it won't work in the 99% of the world that's not an internet hotspot.

Thoughts from the gadget nerds out there? Thanks!
Tom

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Meh, yeah, just found this about the Nokia:

"The Linux-powered Nokia 770 [predecessor to the 800] Internet Tablet offers convenient Internet browsing and email through built-in WiFi, or via a Bluetooth connection to a compatible mobile phone."

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had this one for six-seven months now:
k800.jpg
I have nothing but nice things to say about it - the design is boring, if that's of any importance, but it works very well on Bluetooth or with a cord with any lap-top (IBM, in my case). The real bonus here is the 3.2 megapixel camera.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lucky Strike
...it works very well on Bluetooth or with a cord with any lap-top ...
Thanks for the info LS, but I really am trying to replace the laptop primarily. I'm tired of lugging it through airport security, and don't really enjoy the extra 7 lbs or whatever it adds to my carry on.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allright, this is really weird Tom but right before clicking on the thread I thought about bringing up the new Nokia tablet as an option
smile.gif
Other than that you could look in to the Nokia Communicatiors that run Symbian Series 80, or the OQO
I believe there are a few ultraportable PCs although I am a fan of smartphones, personally.
The Nokia N93 (or updated N93i that is prettier and slimmer) is a powerhouse that when combined with a bluetooth keyboard and connected to a TV via its TV Out can be used for anything from powerpoint presentations to games to word processors. Or even standalone as its screen twists to landscape mode.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
That oqo thing is pretty damn cool, but at 3x the price of the Nokia, a tough sell. Maybe if I can hack it to run OS X
devil.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lucky Strike is your phone a quad-band or tri-band? I know there's two versions available the U.S. version and the other version that is a world phone. I want the latter. How much and where did you get yours?

harryx2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are interested I have this for sale:

DSC02592.jpg

This is an ultra portable Sony PCG U1, is almost like the size of a large Gameboy. It won't replace your mobile phone but is fine for Word and internet explorer. In flawless condition.

Let me know
smile.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the dell inspiron I got last year is the most portable I have had. I love it, even more than the brand new dell I have from work

DM.ru

Reaction score
My recomendation is Sony TX as the portable laptop. The battery is good, the weight is a little over 2lbs, the screen is perfect. I am using this for a year now and very happy with it.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the comments all. I think right now I'm leaning towards the Nokia, with a cheap-o cell phone that can give me a good internet connection all the time. Still have time to decide so I'll see what shakes out in the next couple of months. So, no one has used this thing?
i-mate_JASJAR_300.jpg

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Lucky Strike is your phone a quad-band or tri-band? I know there's two versions available the U.S. version and the other version that is a world phone. I want the latter. How much and where did you get yours?
I got it handed to me at work, so I can't really answer - I would assume it's the non-US version, though.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Still have time to decide so I'll see what shakes out in the next couple of months.[/IMG]

Of course, in a few months there will be the iPhone to put a new wrinkle in your decision...

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
Of course, in a few months there will be the iPhone to put a new wrinkle in your decision...
Yeah, but much as I love my Apple products, I just don't think it's going to be the right one for me. Too little screen real estate, and I don't know that I'm ready for the fantsy pantsed (ie sartorial) interface yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads