1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ultimo in chicago...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by discostu004, Aug 5, 2004.

1. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

anyone have experience w/ Ultimo in Chi-town and what lines they carry? thx

2. nukular

nukular Member

If I recall, they dropped men's clothes maybe two years ago.

3. AAA

AAA Senior Member

I went to Ultimo in either 2000 or 2001 and at that point they had already stopped carrying men's clothing. The salesperson I spoke to claimed that they were going to resume selling men's clothes "shortly". To date, I don't think they have.

4. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior Member

The fellows who started George Greene, which is just across the street and a bit west of Ultimo on Oak Street, used to work at Ultimo. When I went to Ultimo in 2001 they told me that they no longer carried men's clothing and gave me a business card for George Greene. I'd be surprised if Ultimo carries men's clothing again.

5. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

why'd they quit, i assume it's money, but what other high end places are there in chicago?

6. nukular

nukular Member

Uhhhhh....Gucci, Barneys, Armani, Prada, Neiman Marcus, George Greene (already mentioned), Marshall Fields (State Street), Apartment Number 9 (maybe not HIGH end, but good nonetheless) Sak's mens store, etc......

There was some sort of forcing out of the old guard/ownership at Ultimo and sales losses and the like as I recall. Created a relatively major fashion stir in Chicago for the people who are only concerned about such worthless issues.

7. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior Member

Also the only branch of Paul Stuart in the US (other than the NY flagship). Also, Mark Shale had nice clothes, as I recall.

8. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

Pretty much any high-end brand has a store in Chicago. Aside from Barneys, Saks, NM, Nordstrom, Marshall Fields (much better stuff than at other Fields), Bloomingdales, as well as privately owned mens stores, the botiques are (as I remember):

- Prada
    - Gucci (2)
    - Ferragamo
    - Zegna
    - Vuitton
    - Jil Sander
    - Chanel
    - Escada
    - Paul Stuart
    - Botega Veneia
    - Burberry
    - Pucci
    - Cartier
    - Bvlgari

There's more that I cant think of...someone help me out.

9. bryce330

bryce330 Senior Member

You didn't mention the Ralph Lauren store, which is in a beautiful building. Just off the top of my head, there is also a Loro Piana store on Oak Street and a Fratelli Rosetti on Michigan. Where is Bottega Veneta?

10. VMan

VMan Distinguished Member

(VersaceMan @ 05 Aug. 2004, 5:27) There's more that I cant think of...someone help me out.
    You didn't mention the Ralph Lauren store, which is in a beautiful building. Â Just off the top of my head, there is also a Loro Piana store on Oak Street and a Fratelli Rosetti on Michigan. Â Where is Bottega Veneta?
    Well, maybe I was confusing Bottega Veneta for Fratelli. I thought BV was just north of the Hancock center? Or is that FR?

11. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Lance doesn't deal with those guys though - he is looking for privately owned, high-end stores.