1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Tie & Square Swap

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NORE, Dec 2, 2011.

1. NORE

NORE Senior member

If need be, yes.

I'll leave that up to the participants.

2. NORE

NORE Senior member

Already received picture submissions from:
    gyasih
    hikari013

with some really nice looking ties!

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

Entrants so far:

1. NORE
    2. davesmith
    3. hikari013
    4. steveoly
    5. allaboutshoes
    6. DerekS
    7. ChetBakerSings
    8. gyasih
    9. SpooPoker
    10. TheWGP
    11. ?

Bolded names indicate I have received pics of their ties via PM

I'm going to wrap up the entry list this Sunday night and whatever number we fall at will be it. Hopefully I will have received all of the pics by then and will have confirmed judges so we can get this thing underway.

Thanks for playing.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

We kicked around the idea of having all participants send their entries to one central location, then have the box just sent around. Don't know if you would consider something like that here, might make your life easier.

Do you need pics from me, or are you fairly confident that I don't roll Jerry Garcia?

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

The only problem I see with that is getting peeps to actually send the ties/having someone hold up the grand send-off and the additional shipping cost they would incur.

Part of the reason for the PM pics is so members can't flake with what they put in once they get the box.

And yes, please PM me pics of the ties you wish to submit :)

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Im insulted you don't believe me lol.

Give me a few, kids still asleep.

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

I believe you, but if I do that for you I'll have to do that for others...

8. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

hey guys, sounds like fun. I don't wear ties too often for work so don't exactly have a large rotation (or surplus, or need actually) so I'll be out, but am curiously following the thread to see what people take.

as for seeding,
    1. yep, for the fragrance box I spent a few months going 'round gathering and buying and swapping for things, so that's sort of what it takes to make sure the seed is well loaded.
    2. probably makes more sense for each person to just add as the box goes along, rather than everyone sending to the seed up front because of double shipping costs as mentioned, plus the earlier people get full selection so by the end there may not be as much left. The only exceptions are if the seed needs more substantiating and there are 1-2 people who have a lot to add.

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

Thanks for the input MC. I would also like it if you acted as a judge. I'll be running out again today to try and pick up a few ties and look for a potential prize for the winner of the tie & square-off.

If dudes want in, now's the time because I'm closing this thing tomorrow nite.

Thanks

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

Oh, and the box will originate from NY, NY so I will need everyone's locations to draw up the order.

Thanks

11. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

Got it. Some nice looking stuff.

Thanks!

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

Entrants so far:

NORE
    davesmith
    hikari013
    steveoly
    allaboutshoes
    DerekS
    ChetBakerSings
    gyasih
    SpooPoker
    TheWGP

14. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

If you saw my collection of ties I guarantee you wouldn't be saying "thank goodness". In fact I might post a pic just to spite you guys.

And just for the record, the couple private deals I made had nothing to do with the box getting screwed up. The greed of certain other members is what made for a decline. You notice in both the other threads there are members that had the boxes and never posted pics or made any comments as to what was swapped? Think that's a coincidence? I put good stuff in those boxes and posted pics to prove it.

15. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

You got a full list yet?

I have a pretty sick collection....

Might make sense to photograph what we are sending to the next person. Akin to a game of telephone we can easily trace who seeded the box with shit. Sounds like that screwed up the other thread.

16. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

To be honest, this would be better if you just included renowned MC members. I sort of think that the honour involved there would mean that it wouldn't get buggered up. One of the main reasons the other swap boxes (in the USA) went tits up is because I think a lot of newer members unloaded their pre-SF ties in there. WOuldn't be possible with established members, as those have all been burnt.

17. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

I've seen some of those "established members" collections. You would be surprised. All that glitters is not gold.

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

True, but the idea of the regulated swap box, as fascist as it is; is an improvement.

19. NORE

NORE Senior member

Entrants so far:

NORE
    davesmith
    hikari013
    steveoly
    allaboutshoes
    DerekS
    ChetBakerSings
    gyasih
    SpooPoker
    TheWGP
    idfnl?

20. NORE

NORE Senior member

Agreed. This is what I would prefer but most renowned members aren't really interested in a swap box.