• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
I'm looking for new shoes.

Need to get two pairs.

Typically I usually wear something like pumas (but none of the crazy odd look styles), addidas, new balance or something similar to that.

I tend to gravitate towards black, and I'm trying to break the mold.
I really like blue, and generally anything colorful seems to grab my eye, but purple, pink, orange, etc, really BRIGHT colors, are usually a no no.

Gilt had a sale recently on really colorful/stylish new balance shoes, I really liked the look of some of those, but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.

ANyways, I'm fully open to recommendations.

Thanks

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gayestmanalive
I'm looking for new shoes.

Need to get two pairs.

Typically I usually wear something like pumas (but none of the crazy odd look styles), addidas, new balance or something similar to that.

I tend to gravitate towards black, and I'm trying to break the mold.
I really like blue, and generally anything colorful seems to grab my eye, but purple, pink, orange, etc, really BRIGHT colors, are usually a no no.

Gilt had a sale recently on really colorful/stylish new balance shoes, I really liked the look of some of those, but I can't seem to find them for sale anywhere.

ANyways, I'm fully open to recommendations.

Thanks

leather? canvas? you want slim and classic or hypebeast?

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jump Around
While on subject of casual shirts, anyone recommend some companies to look at for casual solid colored shirts? $50 or less, casual, solid color, and slim. Just want to go pick up a few clean and casual shirts I can wear untucked. I stopped at the gap and liked the shirts they had there. I almost bought a few Old Navy shirts, but not sure why I didn't.
AA, discounted J.Crew, Gap come to mind immediately. Uniqlo too if you're in NY.
Originally Posted by Brothersport
Alright, so I came to the realization that I like almost nothing in my wardrobe. Right now I'm looking for a peacoat, some button ups, and maybe shoes/hoodies. Peacoat: I'm really looking for wool, not black, with a collar that wouldn't look outrageous popped. Price range anywhere from $100-250 or so. I liked the J. Crew (pretty classic) in navy, but they're all out of stock, it appears. I also would prefer a back vent, but it's not a huge deal. The Krane Ayling is ******* sweet, but I'm not big on the double buttons and it's, you know, 4x out of my price range. Buttonups: I'm really looking for something casual, not striped, to be worn w/ the sleeves rolled up and probably untucked. Would like to spend $50-115ish. I really like the Shipley + Halmos gingham but it seems to be sold out everywhere.
tiber_long_sleeve_woven_shirt_picnic_gingham.jpg
I'm a size 39-40 or so. I've looked into Epaulet, but that's more than I'm looking to spend per shirt. As for hoodies, any suggestions for brands close to W+H quality, but for cheap (max $120)? And I really want a plain toe blucher, but can't find any anywhere...sigh. Would a boot instead make a huge difference? Honestly, what's the difference with jeans on? Can you even tell?

Peacoat: Schott or Sterlingwear. Check out the "MEGA PEACOAT THREAD" for more info. Shirts: untucked with the sleeves rolled up, bro?
devil.gif
You can't walk two feet without stumbling on gingham. J.Crew and AA both sell black varieties for <$100, and J.Press has a navy gingham on sale for $67. BoO and Steven Alan ginghams can be had on sale for $100 or so. Also, I'd implore you to reconsider on Epaulet. The fit is better than all of the aforementioned brands, and on-par with BoO (at half the retail, and with better materials to boot). Sorry, can't help with hoodies or shoes. Boot won't make much of a difference, although would you wear it during the spring/summer when it's hot?

Jump Around

Reaction score
Thanks Breakz!

I'm going to have to stop by the GAP. Didn't even think of Uniqlo or AA, never even bought anything from them.

Originally Posted by breakz
Shirts: untucked with the sleeves rolled up, bro?
devil.gif

Sorry I'm a noob, what is wrong with doing this? If some shirts seem to have the sleeves a bit longer than I like, I tend to roll up the sleeve, and I never tuck.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jump Around
Sorry I'm a noob, what is wrong with doing this? If some shirts seem to have the sleeves a bit longer than I like, I tend to roll up the sleeve, and I never tuck.
Not a fan of the idea of "never tucking..." Why would you always keep shirts untucked?

Jump Around

Reaction score
Sorry, I should have stated it a bit differently. I'm in college so I never have been in a situation where I would need to tuck in shirts on a consistant basis like in an office. Now walking around school I do not tuck, but not against it. If I were to be in a different state for example where the majority is tucking even in casual situations, then I'll be tucking.

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peacoat: Schott or Sterlingwear. Check out the "MEGA PEACOAT THREAD" for more info.

Shirts: untucked with the sleeves rolled up, bro?
devil.gif

You can't walk two feet without stumbling on gingham. J.Crew and AA both sell black varieties for <$100, and J.Press has a navy gingham on sale for $67. BoO and Steven Alan ginghams can be had on sale for $100 or so.

Also, I'd implore you to reconsider on Epaulet. The fit is better than all of the aforementioned brands, and on-par with BoO (at half the retail, and with better materials to boot).

Sorry, can't help with hoodies or shoes. Boot won't make much of a difference, although would you wear it during the spring/summer when it's hot?

Not a fan of the idea of "never tucking..." Why would you always keep shirts untucked?

Thanks a lot for the help. As for the peacoat, I was steering away from Schott and Sterlingwear. I'm not looking for something really traditional, but perhaps I'm just being difficult. Any opinions on these? Modern Amusement and Operations. They're 25% off today with a Tobi code. But the first one is 40% viscose, so I'm not sure it's worth the $225, and the Operations one is cotton, so I dunno if it can withstand East Coast winter.

Bwahaha, at least I specified no striped shirt, right? I was specifically looking for shirts designed to be untucked (like the above Shipley & Halmos fit), not a dress shirt that would hang below ******. Hopefully that's better. I'm not against tucking all the time, but I just had a hankering for a good really casual buttonup. Yeah, maybe I will try the Epaulet. We'll see how much Xmas money I get.

As for boots in the summer, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Lots of questions now that I'm starting anew. That's a good point, though. I'll keep searching for those PTBs.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help. As for the peacoat, I was steering away from Schott and Sterlingwear. I'm not looking for something really traditional, but perhaps I'm just being difficult. Any opinions on these? Modern Amusement and Operations. They're 25% off today with a Tobi code. But the first one is 40% viscose, so I'm not sure it's worth the $225, and the Operations one is cotton, so I dunno if it can withstand East Coast winter.

Bwahaha, at least I specified no striped shirt, right? I was specifically looking for shirts designed to be untucked (like the above Shipley & Halmos fit), not a dress shirt that would hang below ******. Hopefully that's better. I'm not against tucking all the time, but I just had a hankering for a good really casual buttonup. Yeah, maybe I will try the Epaulet. We'll see how much Xmas money I get.

As for boots in the summer, well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Lots of questions now that I'm starting anew. That's a good point, though. I'll keep searching for those PTBs.

Heh, yeah I get you on avoiding the traditional look. These coats, though, might not keep you warm. The MA coat isn't 100% wool, and forget about cotton. Schotts are about $100 cheaper than either, and by all accounts they're incredibly warm. Maybe you are being difficult.
fight[1].gif

The S&H shirts actually have significant tails--they're meant to be tucked. I own a few and leaving them untucked would look odd IMO. This actually takes me back to the Epaulet shirts--their shirts have a versatile length, with tails that could be tucked but avoid the "below the ass" look.

I know where you're coming from too regarding the XMas $$. What I suggest is cutting back a bit on the shirts. Instead of 4 J.Crew shirts, maybe get 2 and an Epaulet?

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I came to the realization that I like almost nothing in my wardrobe. Right now I'm looking for a peacoat, some button ups, and maybe shoes/hoodies.

Peacoat:
I'm really looking for wool, not black, with a collar that wouldn't look outrageous popped. Price range anywhere from $100-250 or so. I liked the J. Crew (pretty classic) in navy, but they're all out of stock, it appears. I also would prefer a back vent, but it's not a huge deal. The Krane Ayling is ******* sweet, but I'm not big on the double buttons and it's, you know, 4x out of my price range.

Buttonups:
I'm really looking for something casual, not striped, to be worn w/ the sleeves rolled up and probably untucked. Would like to spend $50-115ish. I really like the Shipley + Halmos gingham but it seems to be sold out everywhere.
tiber_long_sleeve_woven_shirt_picnic_gingham.jpg

I'm a size 39-40 or so. I've looked into Epaulet, but that's more than I'm looking to spend per shirt.

As for hoodies, any suggestions for brands close to W+H quality, but for cheap (max $120)?

And I really want a plain toe blucher, but can't find any anywhere...sigh. Would a boot instead make a huge difference? Honestly, what's the difference with jeans on? Can you even tell?

Band of outsiders would be standard recommendation for a casual shirt that can be worn untucked without looking like a "going out" douchebag.

For hoodies, I like cheap **** like urban oufitters house brand, American apparel, etc. Save your monies for steezy **** like expensive sweaters, jackets, and shoes.

For the plain toe blucher, I would research that purchase for a while and look at hgher end brands like Alden, Allen Edmonds, churches, Crockett and jones. Trickers makes a decent looking plain toe blucher, too. Classic styles and shoes that will last forever and get better with age. Don't cheap out there.

Gayestmanalive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
leather? canvas? you want slim and classic or hypebeast?
Sorry, I wrote down what shoes I usually bought as an indicator I guess. Um, it can be whatever I guess as long as it looks good with jeans, shorts, etc. I'll be wearing the shoes mainly with jeans and ****. Nothing fancy or dressed up. Think college. I just bought a pair of adidas classic vulc in roayl color, I really like them. I just need one more now. I'm thinking about a pair of red hi top converse. Simple, and I've never had a pair of red shoes. But I'm fully open to suggestions. Thanks

Brothersport

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heh, yeah I get you on avoiding the traditional look. These coats, though, might not keep you warm. The MA coat isn't 100% wool, and forget about cotton. Schotts are about $100 cheaper than either, and by all accounts they're incredibly warm. Maybe you are being difficult.
fight[1].gif

The S&H shirts actually have significant tails--they're meant to be tucked. I own a few and leaving them untucked would look odd IMO. This actually takes me back to the Epaulet shirts--their shirts have a versatile length, with tails that could be tucked but avoid the "below the ass" look.

I know where you're coming from too regarding the XMas $$. What I suggest is cutting back a bit on the shirts. Instead of 4 J.Crew shirts, maybe get 2 and an Epaulet?

Haha yeah, I'm probably being too picky.

See, that's why I can't trust random fit pics, even on store sites. All that info really helps, man. Thanks a lot.

Originally Posted by BBSLM
Band of outsiders would be standard recommendation for a casual shirt that can be worn untucked without looking like a "going out" douchebag.

For hoodies, I like cheap **** like urban oufitters house brand, American apparel, etc. Save your monies for steezy **** like expensive sweaters, jackets, and shoes.

For the plain toe blucher, I would research that purchase for a while and look at hgher end brands like Alden, Allen Edmonds, churches, Crockett and jones. Trickers makes a decent looking plain toe blucher, too. Classic styles and shoes that will last forever and get better with age. Don't cheap out there.

Yeah, BoO would be awesome if it didn't sell out at ~$100 in B&S within 25 minutes all the time lol. I'll keep an eye out. That's a good point on hoodies.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea on the shoes. I was looking at the Trickers Woodstock which didn't look bad to me (not in black), but as far as my rudimentary search showed, it's only sold overseas. I'll keep hunting.

Man, this advice has been really helpful in the past couple days. Thanks, guys.

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha yeah, I'm probably being too picky.

See, that's why I can't trust random fit pics, even on store sites. All that info really helps, man. Thanks a lot.

Yeah, BoO would be awesome if it didn't sell out at ~$100 in B&S within 25 minutes all the time lol. I'll keep an eye out. That's a good point on hoodies.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea on the shoes. I was looking at the Trickers Woodstock which didn't look bad to me (not in black), but as far as my rudimentary search showed, it's only sold overseas. I'll keep hunting.

Man, this advice has been really helpful in the past couple days. Thanks, guys.

Oh yea I forgot to mention in my last post that you can get BoO shirts for ~$100 in the B&S section. I wasnt recommending them at retail, which would be about double your listed budget.

ramp

Reaction score
I don't know why these are being so hard for me to find, but what brands/stores sell what I guess is called a u-neck or scoop neck t-shirt? Like your standard crew neck but cut lower. $25 and under. Long or short sleeved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads