• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

chrispy179

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kodiak
Anyone have any recommendations for a nice spring jacket, preferrably cheaper than the one I posted last page? An M65 would be legit, I've never had/worn one.

i have an H&m m65 that looks similar to the shades of greige one. quality and details arent as nice but theyre nowhere near as expensive

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get the hare summer m65 from a few seasons back, moy on sufu used to rock it pretty good

Kodiak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
get the hare summer m65 from a few seasons back, moy on sufu used to rock it pretty good
oh yeah, i've seen that. where2kop/how much?

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
kodiak-- take the lining out of an M-65 of its French equivalent and you'll be set.

robbie

Kodiak

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
kodiak-- take the lining out of an M-65 of its French equivalent and you'll be set.

robbie

ionno, the hare m65 is the slimmest **** i've ever seen

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need a Japan proxy for Hare...

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old polos are actually pretty good, as far as it goes...unless they're Hollister or something.

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CounterStrike
Recommend me summer shirts for my wardrobe -

The cheaper the better, I am thinking about t-shirts but I am open to anything. All I have right now is old polos. Thanks!

I really liked those 50/50 cotton/linen shirts uniqlo put out last year. I'll buy more when they come out this year.

Madras is great too.

wgnftw

Reaction score
I have a bit of a tough time finding clothes that fit. Pants are always way too tight ********** and way loose in the waist. End up buying overly baggy and using a belt... really tired of using a belt all the time. Shirts are similar tight in chest loose in waist, but less of a prob than pants using shirts with some stretch.

I'm 6ft 200lb around 10% bodyfat, fairly muscular.

44in chest
34.5in waist
42in hips

Yea... I'm an hourglass.... WTF!?

Is there anywhere you guys can think of that sell clothes that would fit my body-type well? I like a lot of the clothes I see on the forums, but know I could never fit the style. Is MTM my only hope?I'm pretty cheap, but if its the only route then so be it.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Band of Outsiders shirts have a massive taper. You'd probably be an XXL or even XXXL, but I don't know if they make such a thing. I'd recommend just getting shirts that fit you well in the neck, chest, and shoulders (and have sleeves that are long enough) and have them darted at the waist to fit better there. However, too much darting will give you a weird hourglass figure, which I doubt you'd want.

As far as pants go, try wearing them lower, so that they're sitting on your hips, rather than your waist. APC Rescues are a pretty generous cut.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^I assumed it was his own wedding. assuming otherwise, I guess it'd make less sense to splurge on a new suit.

chrispy: yeah, they only have colored slimfit "jeans" in grey, khaki etc. and the regular light blue/grey trousers on the site, but they also have chinos, seersucker pants, and maybe some other stuff in the nyc store. I'm sure they could give you a more complete inventory if you called.

Naw it's my uncle's wedding but I don't understand why people don't like black suits.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the US, outside of nightclubs, weddings, and funerals, it's kind of just not done. I'm not exactly sure why. You could start a thread in Men's Clothing about it and I'm sure it would explode into some 25-page monstrosity about 'the rules' and how you're meant to break them. Might be fun.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
In the US, outside of nightclubs, weddings, and funerals, it's kind of just not done. I'm not exactly sure why. You could start a thread in Men's Clothing about it and I'm sure it would explode into some 25-page monstrosity about 'the rules' and how you're meant to break them. Might be fun.

MC has a 50-page thread about black suits 1~2 times/month. Everyone makes all these great arguments about why not to wear them, but nobody argues against them (other than occasional trolls). It's kinda vain.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean in vain, or vanity? I guess both apply.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally meant in vain, but you're right that those threads are a form of vanity...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads