Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

pokey-

what about a different peacoat? i.e. one that hits at the waist

2. SPK

SPK Senior member

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

None of those bridge the casual-formal gap--all of those are easily casual. For that, you'd need some boots or something.

Master-Classter,
    None of those shoes are proper for the winter in a snowy area.

master-classter:
    all nice choices but pretty casual. on a 1-100 scale the all black might move up a couple of points compared to a multi color shoe. a low profile boot might do the trick also. lots of boots on sf arent exactly low profile, but there are plenty available. only issue with them might be price.

K, thanks guys.

4. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

This, maybe? This is slightly different from J.Crew (more utility-like). Sorry, winter coats aren't my strong suit...
    Thanks anyway. I like the first one. I mean I like the second one too, but out of my price range :-/
    pokey- what about a different peacoat? i.e. one that hits at the waist
    That is a possibility. A cropped pea coat? I do like this http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=97 But the guy looks like a tool, so it's hard for me to gauge if I would look just as bad in it lol.

5. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

Thanks anyway. I like the first one. I mean I like the second one too, but out of my price range :-/

That is a possibility. A cropped pea coat? I do like this

http://www.express.com/catalog/produ...bCategoryId=97

But the guy looks like a tool, so it's hard for me to gauge if I would look just as bad in it lol.

i think youll be ok al long as everything else didnt come from express also

6. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

What I need is a pair of shoes that bridges the gap between casual (Chucks) and formal (Allen Edmonds)... Edit - basically, something I can wear with khakies, sort of like boat shoes but not for summer...
    I'm looking for plain black that just flies under the radar. I have difficult to fit feet, want to spend under $100, and live in a snowy country...

how about a pair of zig zags?

7. factorial

factorial Senior member

I want a casual, lace-up boot for the winter, so I’m thinking a combat boot. Here are my requirements:
    • Rubber sole (pref. commando sole or lug sole) – going to be walking through snow, ice, and salt
    • Medium to dark brown or burgundy leather – want something that goes with anything, don’t want suede due to above
    • Plain or cap toe (no moc toes) – prefer a more elegant/streamlined look
    • Reasonable price (under $400) and good value
    Here are the boots I’ve looked at:
    What else should I be looking at? Any thoughts on the above? (I’m familiar with the RW GT thread and the Wolverine 1000 mile collection thread.) Thanks in advance.

8. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Senior member

^^ i really like my 1000 mile boots. the only other boots on your list i would personally be interested in are the indys and roys

9. breakz

breakz Senior member

how about a pair of zig zags?

Similar problem--they're canvas sneaks. They're casual.

10. Babaloo

Babaloo Member

Looking for a really nice slim leather bomber jacket - surface 2 air and apc had some great ones last year around this time, but can't really find anything this season. Any suggestions? Thanks!

11. breakz

breakz Senior member

I've been repeating myself a lot about leather here, but for a slim-fitting leather bomber you should consider ToJ (Temple of Jawnz). See their thread.

12. theom-

theom- Senior member

13. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

I'm looking for a toggle coat. Navy. Any ideas?

Most likely not what you are looking for but Urban has d collection toggle coats 30% off in store. I know they have black and charcoal, not sure about navy.

14. robbie

robbie Pleading Poverty

i hate basically all the shoes i have that aren't canvas sneakers.

So I suppose some might say, 'so just wear canvas sneakers'. Wearing just canvas sneakers would be an okay solution if I still lived in Texas or Oklahoma or somewhere without any sort of actual winter. The problem is Nebraska has winter, and we skipped fall and went straight into winter this year. The past saturday reminded me that I still need boots, or shoes that will keep my feet warm and dry and are also comfortable.

Also, if I am going to spend money at this point in my life i'd like it to be something i can wear the hell out of and not care about [like white t-shirts] or something I can care alot about and still wear the hell out of [like a really nice pair of boots].

My problem is that while I want boots I like for things I buy to work well with a lot of different outfits, and maybe if possible work well in multiple seasons. And since I need something sort of dressy and sort of casual boots seemed like the right choice. But i like loafers as well, and boat shoes and had sort of been wanting eying some kind of loafer or a moccasin of some kind.

So if i could I'd buy a pair of boots, and a pair of loafers/mocs I would.

But then i thought 'I should just get chukka's''. Then i'd have a sort of boot, and it would be kind of like a boat shoe/moccasin too.
    And if I'd been on my toes i could have gotten a really nice pair of the sperry chukkas on GILT. But I missed out.

So I thought, ''how about vans chukkas?''

I really just don't know. they come in suede, but would that keep my foot warm AND dry?

I could come up with 60 dollars easier than the 100+ a pair of boots would cost, and decent loafers or even the ll bean mocs are atleast 80. I Already have a pair of desert boots, and they just don't seem to keep my feet warm. i suppose these chukkas might be the same, but it seems like the lining and stuff would keep my feet warm.

I just don't know.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

ROBBIE

15. breakz

breakz Senior member

^ robbie i have no answer to your question (sorry) but i'm really, really pulling for the Sooners this wknd. please beat the Longhorns.