Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

What do you guys think of these? I know rubber soles seem to be looked down upon here but i kinda dig em... sorta plain but alright

http://www.zappos.com/product/7602321/color/6

I like them, but they are a bit expensive for Ted Baker shoes.

2. steviecakes

steviecakes Senior member

any recs for a slim black casual oxford or derby a la rachel comey or common projects that cost a lot less? is this too much to ask for? i'm a broke college student so if i should stick to my shitty zig zags and save up my money for more packs of pbr then feel free to slap some sense into me.

3. saelan

saelan Senior member

any recs for a slim black casual oxford or derby a la rachel comey or common projects that cost a lot less? is this too much to ask for? i'm a broke college student so if i should stick to my shitty zig zags and save up my money for more packs of pbr then feel free to slap some sense into me.

Basically, there's nothing substantially cheaper in terms of the look that I think you have in mind. There's knock-off brands like Asos or Gravitypope's in-house line that are cheaper, but they don't make anything that looks as good. Your can either change how much you're willing to pay, change what you're looking for, or save some searches for what you want on ebay and hope for the best. Sometimes things go on sale, too.

4. saelan

saelan Senior member

I'm looking for a chunky beanie (in Canada we call them toques). One with a pom on top would be nice. Something like this Universal Works one, perhaps. [​IMG] I'd prefer to not pay $80 for a fuzzy hat, though. Amazing how difficult it can be to find a good version of something so simple.

5. pharrow59

pharrow59 Senior member

No one have any suggestions for winter coat with fur hood lining? :/

spiewak humbolt?

6. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

Any suggestions on good looking boots or sneakers to wear with jeans? Not young anymore (30+), but "young at heart". Price range <$500 for boots and <$200 for sneakers.

7. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

^ there is this black pebble grain boot from John Varvatos that is from their current lineup $600. i am trying to get it, the best boot i have seen thus far and wil go with any jeans or streetwear.

8. breakz

breakz Senior member

Any suggestions on good looking boots or sneakers to wear with jeans? Not young anymore (30+), but "young at heart". Price range <$500 for boots and <$200 for sneakers.

To start: what's your style? What do you want to look like?

Boots: do you want rubber or leather sole? Color? Style (wingtip, work boot, etc)? Sneakers: high-tops? lo-tops? Color preference?

9. splattered

splattered Senior member

^ there is this black pebble grain boot from John Varvatos that is from their current lineup $600. i am trying to get it, the best boot i have seen thus far and wil go with any jeans or streetwear.

Could you link it? I havent seen too much Varvatos footwear that i liked enough to justify the price :p

10. youalreadyknow

youalreadyknow Senior member

For sneakers you can't go wrong with common projects

11. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

Could you link it? I havent seen too much Varvatos footwear that i liked enough to justify the price :p

i cant find the exact pair but it is similar to this

http://www.johnvarvatos.com/Calfskin...31/p/1176.html

it is more for the streetwear denim guy, and if you (not you) can step out of your mc narrowmindedness, this boot is very excellent aesthetically in person and when paired up with your outfit. the shoes are definitely solid though. most out of any designers shoes out there .

12. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior member

To start: what's your style? What do you want to look like?

Boots: do you want rubber or leather sole? Color? Style (wingtip, work boot, etc)? Sneakers: high-tops? lo-tops? Color preference?

I can wear jeans only in the weekends.
    Sneakers: Currently Puma (yeah I know), tune cats and drift cats. Basic black and white. No high tops and prefer to stay that way. Is Converse any good? I am getting some straight leg jeans and some slims with small leg openings. Just want to make sure if I were to stack the jeans, they will look good with the right sneakers.
    Boots: Currently RM Williams Craftsman. I considered them as dressy and for straight leg jeans. Open to wing tip or work boot and rubber or leather sole as well. Rubber sole is quite handy in the Great White North (tons of snow). But they will have to fit in jeans with smaller leg openings. Dont' really like desert / churka boots. Alden Tank boots for Context look pretty good. But they only come in black.

Any suggestions?

13. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

i cant find the exact pair but it is similar to this

http://www.johnvarvatos.com/Calfskin...31/p/1176.html

it is more for the streetwear denim guy, and if you (not you) can step out of your mc narrowmindedness, this boot is very excellent aesthetically in person and when paired up with your outfit. the shoes are definitely solid though. most out of any designers shoes out there .

I like these, but in person JV shoes always feel like plastic.

14. snake

snake Senior member

15. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

I'm looking for a chunky beanie (in Canada we call them toques). One with a pom on top would be nice.

Something like this Universal Works one, perhaps.

[​IMG]

I'd prefer to not pay $80 for a fuzzy hat, though. Amazing how difficult it can be to find a good version of something so simple.

Ditch the pom pom top and go check out your own Canadian brand Wings+Horns. They make a brilliant chunky Toque like the one you posted. If you want quality shit and not some lame acrylic material, then you have to be willing to pay for it. I am still on the look out for one from them myself for this season.