1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Hey, I'm looking for a minimal sort of mid- to hi-top; leather, preferably gray or black - lace up, I've had it up to here with velcro. I'm in love with the gray Common Projects Achilles mids, but there's no way I can drop upwards of 350$ on a pair of sneakers. I'm hoping to find something around the 100$ mark, but I really haven't seen anything that fits the bill. Does anyone have any recommendations? Mostly, I just dislike loud, obnoxious logos and branding and am looking for something with clean lines - hoping to wear them with skinny black denim. Cheers.

2. Kodiak

Kodiak Senior member

Hey, I'm looking for a minimal sort of mid- to hi-top; leather, preferably gray or black - lace up, I've had it up to here with velcro. I'm in love with the gray Common Projects Achilles mids, but there's no way I can drop upwards of 350$ on a pair of sneakers. I'm hoping to find something around the 100$ mark, but I really haven't seen anything that fits the bill. Does anyone have any recommendations? Mostly, I just dislike loud, obnoxious logos and branding and am looking for something with clean lines - hoping to wear them with skinny black denim. Cheers.
    Maybe some Spring Courts, only $170. http://shop.springcourtusa.com/_B2_P...W7104A9-A.aspx

Or way cheaper, leather chucks, $70. http://www.zappos.com/product/7188222/color/3123

3. sploosh

sploosh Senior member

If I called the soho us uniqlo store, would they have the stuff on the uk section of their site?

4. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

^ Not necessarily; call or email them to check. Also, the items may have a different name in the US, so it's probably best to email them with a link to the product page to avoid confusion.

5. Razele

Razele Senior member

Excellent idea for a thread.

I got rid of all my denim except for the edwin 50x ( or whatever the lowrise slim straight leg is )

Should I get a pair of Levi's 511 indigo to wear for rotation until I've lost enough weight for two pairs of new standards?

Can anyone tell me were I can buy slubby chambray fabric online? Looking to make some t's. And MJK is out of medium.

Thanks!

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

Thanks Kodiak; I actually tried on a pair of Spring Courts today - size 42 is too small and size 43 is too big, so that's a no go. Plus, the thick soles/toe cap tend to make my feet look large, which is also the case with chucks. It seems like size 10.5 in converse tends to make my feet look very big...I don't suppose anyone has any other ideas? I appreciate the suggestion, though - very much so.

7. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus Senior member

Should I get a pair of Levi's 511 indigo to wear for rotation until I've lost enough weight for two pairs of new standards?

Personally, I would pick up the 511's until I could afford something better than APC's. Personally, I don't find them extraordinary in any way, and really think the rigid 511's are the best value on the lower end of the spectrum.

8. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Excellent idea for a thread.

I got rid of all my denim except for the edwin 50x ( or whatever the lowrise slim straight leg is )

Thanks!

Why would you get two pairs of new standards ? $150 x 2 = 300 so just get one pair of top of the line jeans.

9. Lel

Lel Senior member

-Some sort of lightweight, SB, belted, slim fit trench/mac coat with an interesting collar design. Lightweight in a more unlined way so I can wear it in the springtime and layer when it's cold out, preferably water proof or resistant but not a deal breaker. Also, one of the more important things, in an interesting color. Red, metallic red, bright blue, something interesting. Something like this

10. Steggy

Steggy Senior member

you guys have any ideas on where i can pick up a nice ribbon belt for <50 bucks, or ~50? I don't feel like spending 100 at RL. As far as color i'm sort of undecided. Like, i'll be wearing stuff like this over the summer a decent amount, so i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] sorry for the image sizes i'm assuming they will be huge.

11. Lel

Lel Senior member

you guys have any ideas on where i can pick up a nice ribbon belt for <50 bucks, or ~50? I don't feel like spending 100 at RL. As far as color i'm sort of undecided. Like, i'll be wearing stuff like this over the summer a decent amount, so i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything.

Just get something cheap from Old Navy and put the rest of the money into something that matters.

12. Meis

Meis Senior member

Marshall's and H&amp;M are also pretty decent for finding cheap summer belts

13. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything.

[​IMG]

14. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

-Some sort of lightweight, SB, belted, slim fit trench/mac coat with an interesting collar design. Lightweight in a more unlined way so I can wear it in the springtime and layer when it's cold out, preferably water proof or resistant but not a deal breaker. Also, one of the more important things, in an interesting color. Red, metallic red, bright blue, something interesting. Something like this

I've been looking for something like this too. I think MJK is gonna have a mac, but it's going to be gray.

you guys have any ideas on where i can pick up a nice ribbon belt for <50 bucks, or ~50? I don't feel like spending 100 at RL. As far as color i'm sort of undecided. Like, i'll be wearing stuff like this over the summer a decent amount, so i think i should have a good summer belt so i don't have to use my leather penis belt for everything.

[​IMG]

I think he means like this.

[​IMG]

15. Steggy

Steggy Senior member

16. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Senior member

^No dude, 40 dollars?! Shit is a trap.

J Crew has some nice simple ribbon-whatever belts for less than that (check out the WAYWT-J Crew SS09 discussion crossover post I made with the white club shorts, I'm wearing a white and tan ribbon belt that can be found in stores for twenty five or thirty bucks, I think it's pretty solid, they have other colors too...as does Club Monaco albeit in more interesting colors.

17. Leverandon

Leverandon Senior member

This has probably been addressed before on this board, but I spent a bit of time and couldn't find a good answer.

I'm a total noob when it comes to denim. What, in your opinion, is the best pair of dark-wash jeans to be had for under $100. I've traditionally gone with boot-cut, but straight leg would be fine as well. I've been wearing Abercrombie but figure that there are probably better jeans out there for that price point.

Thanks!

18. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

IMO, the best ribbon belt (I have two): J Press.

They used to be a bit cheaper.

19. andychen

andychen Well-Known Member

I am definitely newbee about fashion and brand, so please don't be mad at me when I mention Macy's.

I know Macy's does not get much love here. and I know it is better to save for better stuff, but I live very close to a Macy's store, like I can walk into it everyday just as an exercise. Recently I found some pretty good deals at Macy's clearance section that I could not pass, like a nice CK sweater for $10, and PLRL fleece jacket for $25. So I will probably check it out very often. Could somebody tell me what brands in Macy's are actually OK to buy even though they are not SF approved.

I know Polo, Boss and lacoste are definitely good. I got some impression that CK, DKNY, Levis, guess are OK, how about other brands like Tommy, timeberland (not shoes), Nautica, lucky brand, club room, marc by new york?

20. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

there is nothing wrong with macy's. nothing wrong with the brands you mention as long as they fit, are color coordinated, you like them, etc.

just you got to be vigilant of pricing per quality ratio that determines its value. basically, that is what we get off on here all the time about.

except for tommy hilfiger or nautica.