Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

Need to buy new shoes, I'm looking for something for everyday wear (read: what I put on when I go to library, class, etc). Sneakers probably. Looking for something below $200, and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, so there has to be a store there. Really have no clue about any style let alone sneaker/everyday shoe style, so please help me out and show me some pics of what is good and what is not, or better yet what I should probably get. I tend to wear jeans btw. Thanks a lot.
    You're pretty much SOL with finding decent shoe stores in Ottawa for what you appear to be looking for, best bet is to go the online route. If you're looking for sneakers and are more of the hypebeast type, I think NORML clothing is still around downtown. If you're not a hypebeast, you're pretty much stuck looking online unless you like Converse. Trustfund (on Sussex near the US Embassy) sometimes has some men's shoes, but their selection is extremely limited. That's all I can think of, but it may have changed lately (last time I was there for any length of time was over a year and a half ago).

2. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

What's the verdict on plain black cardigans? I want something black between a full on jacket and a shirt that opens up + can go w/anything. I feel like the black cardigan was done to death last year though, any ideas?

3. Lane

Lane Senior member

they are boring?

4. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

What's the verdict on plain black cardigans? I want something black between a full on jacket and a shirt that opens up + can go w/anything. I feel like the black cardigan was done to death last year though, any ideas?

Sure. There is a reason they're so saturated now, they go with everything. You could even try the Italian cardi-tuck. You could even wear them with those brown dress shoes if that's still a thing in NYC; I haven't been there since August so I don't really know.

5. Cool The Kid

Sure. There is a reason they're so saturated now, they go with everything. You could even try the Italian cardi-tuck. You could even wear them with those brown dress shoes if that's still a thing in NYC; I haven't been there since August so I don't really know.
    Cool. Eh. Well, even in its ubiquity it's still a great staple. I will just get one. Good reason to get some nice black dress shoes too (can't imagine them going well with brown)

6. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

Cool. Eh. Well, even in its ubiquity it's still a great staple. I will just get one. Good reason to get some nice black dress shoes too (can't imagine them going well with brown)

Don't you live in New York? The black-with-brown-belt-and-shoes look was really big there all summer, at least in the Soho area.

7. Cool The Kid

Don't you live in New York? The black-with-brown-belt-and-shoes look was really big there all summer, at least in the Soho area.
    I did not spend much time anywhere but Crown Heights and Midtown last summer...

8. YuppieSkuppie

YuppieSkuppie Active Member

A short rainjacket that is at least water resistant and not "heritagey"? That means no brown/khaki/green/tan/etc., and I guess no blue either. $300-$700 ish?

9. DeliciousFruits

DeliciousFruits Active Member

[​IMG]

I'm looking for a cropped duffle coat (with tan or white toggles) somewhere in $0-$240. I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything in stock.

10. NonPoly

NonPoly Active Member

Starting a new wardrobe

Alright, I'm tired of wearing shitty clothes, and I'd like to start over.

Background:
    I'm an 18 year old college student, 5' 7" and 140lbs with a slim build but broad shoulders. I'm white, and have short black hair. Up until I've been buying all my stuff from AA, I kind of like the style, but the quality and fit is awful so I'm done with them.
    I recently bought some low top creative recs, a pair of N&F WierdGuys in grey and a N&F Black Selvedge Chambray, and I really like all of these. I also plan on buying some SkinnyGuys in deep indigo.

I'm basically looking for a couple more button down shirts, a sweater that can be worn with BD shirts(preferably black or grey), a wool coat, and some undershirts that will work with my build.
    I like simple, but high quality clothing ex. an off white oxford, indigos and a pair of brown Red Wings.

Budget is about $500, but it's flexible.

I'm not very stylish, so any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

11. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

[​IMG] I'm looking for a cropped duffle coat (with tan or white toggles) somewhere in $0-$240. I'm having a lot of trouble finding anything in stock.
    looking for something similar as well but in a trench, hopefully anything but black

12. BubblyMasquerade

BubblyMasquerade Senior member

Starting a new wardrobe

Alright, I'm tired of wearing shitty clothes, and I'd like to start over.

Background:
    I'm an 18 year old college student, 5' 7" and 140lbs with a slim build but broad shoulders. I'm white, and have short black hair. Up until I've been buying all my stuff from AA, I kind of like the style, but the quality and fit is awful so I'm done with them.
    I recently bought some low top creative recs, a pair of N&F WierdGuys in grey and a N&F Black Selvedge Chambray, and I really like all of these. I also plan on buying some SkinnyGuys in deep indigo.

I'm basically looking for a couple more button down shirts, a sweater that can be worn with BD shirts(preferably black or grey), a wool coat, and some undershirts that will work with my build.
    I like simple, but high quality clothing ex. an off white oxford, indigos and a pair of brown Red Wings.

Budget is about $500, but it's flexible.

I'm not very stylish, so any help/recommendations would be greatly appreciated [​IMG]

do a search for the college thread. its got ten pages of advice for you.

13. 93deg

93deg Member

I am looking for a plain crew neck gray merino or cashmere sweater. I am pretty much a noob so the places I've looked at (H&M, Gap, Banana Rep, etc) all seem to have sweaters with a huge elastic band at the bottom (3 to 5 in). I am not too sure I like that and was wondering for any recommendations. I am trying to set my limit to 100 Canadian, but willing to go a bit above that for something good.

Was just also wondering about that elastic in the waist thing. Is it just me that doesn't like that? Or is it something that doesn't really matter in a sweater?

14. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

I am looking for a plain crew neck gray merino or cashmere sweater. I am pretty much a noob so the places I've looked at (H&M, Gap, Banana Rep, etc) all seem to have sweaters with a huge elastic band at the bottom (3 to 5 in). I am not too sure I like that and was wondering for any recommendations. I am trying to set my limit to 100 Canadian, but willing to go a bit above that for something good.

Was just also wondering about that elastic in the waist thing. Is it just me that doesn't like that? Or is it something that doesn't really matter in a sweater?

Try J Crew. Be advised though, shipping/duties to Canada from them are tantamount to gang rape, so try and search for a free shipping/discount coupon to help offset those costs.

15. AHShadow

AHShadow Senior member

Hi, winter is coming soon and I would really like to keep my feet warm this year (spent the whole canadian winter with chuck taylors...) so I was wondering if anyone can recommend me some nice slim-profiled boots. I usually wear a cardigan/sweater/shirt paired with APC NS. I don't think that Red Wings would fit me since they're too chunky for my build (5'8, typical asian build).

I was also loking for a nice fall jacket. For now I put my TOJ Varsity Jacke(Red/Cream) most of the days but I would like something a bit less colorful like grey/olive/black/navy. I would of bought a TOJ Bomber but I don't have the funds for it.

I could go for about 200$ for each item.

Thanks everyone!