Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Poincare

Poincare Active Member

Recommend me some polo whites (as in jeans) and/or riding breeches please!

Also, in terms of socks and underwear who are best? I hear Sunspel are good for boxer shorts?

2. ramp

ramp Senior member

reccomend me some slim/straight (not skinny) raw denim black jeans please. price range maximum $150, preferably less
    At that price I think you're limited to Naked and Famous, unless you can find something in B&S. Or maybe Levi's has a black raw? Dunno

3. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

What is a good leg opening size to rock w/high tops? I see people getting mean stacks on their Dior 19cms, and I got my APC NSs tapered down to about that size (7.5" across)... they look 1000x better than before, but are still pretty wide. What's the deal?

4. Makeshift_Robot

Makeshift_Robot Senior member

What is a good leg opening size to rock w/high tops? I see people getting mean stacks on their Dior 19cms, and I got my APC NSs tapered down to about that size (7.5" across)... they look 1000x better than before, but are still pretty wide. What's the deal?

The high top tuck is a really difficult affectation. It's about way more than leg opening, you have to have the right figure and the right pants and the right shoes.

5. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

Uniqlo, actually, is probably your best bet. Other than that I really don't know, knits (as well as shoes and leather goods) really reward buying slightly above your usual bracket.

yeah wish there was one nearby, i don't think it can wait till november when if i make a trip to new york

what about something just outside of mall brand pricing

6. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior member

reccomend me some nice white trainers please.

currently considering adidas stan smiths (55 pounds)... would like to be in that price range. thanks. x

7. Speirs

Speirs Member

I need a new fall jacket. I'm open to any suggestions.

8. DocWindigo

DocWindigo New Member

I need some wardrobe help something terrible. I'm 21 and I've never gotten too interested in what I wear and how I dress, but the last year I've found that I'm constantly wanting to look my best, to be dressed in a way that looks really nice and grabs peoples attention towards me. Not that I crave attention, but I get a kick out of turning heads from time to time. I'm actually in a relationship right now, but I want to look the best I can for my girlfriend and not only that, but be a reason other girls will be jealous of her, haha!

I have absolutely no concept of fashion, I don't know anything about designer clothes, vintage clothing (whatever that is), fashion, etc. etc. etc. I am absolutely clueless, but I have a great amount of intelligence and when I get interested in something, like style, fashion, and clothing, I learn really quick. I tend to second guess myself a lot though, so I figured joining this community for some feedback would be a good idea.

Right now my wardrobe consists of:

Shoes- 1 peair of Nike tennis shoes, a pair of black leather dress shoes.
    Pants- Canyon River Blues (from Sears I think), Jop (from walmart), Wranglers (from outlet mall), and a few other plain denim jeans from little dpeartment stores.
    T-shirts- Rascall Flatts concert tee, blood drive tees, Nike tee, and white tees.
    Button up shirts- Steve and Barry's, attention, Dickie's, and a few other random not worth mentioning brands.

I'm just trying to give you an idea of what you're going to catch me running around in. 90% of the time you will see me in plain blue jeans, a white tee under a button up shirt that I have buttoned once bettween my stomach and chest and leave open, and a pair of tennis shoes. I don't think it looks terrible and I do get some compliments on looking "nice", but I'm tired of this same old look and poor display of style and fashion sense. I'm tired of looking ordinarily nice and want to work on looking extraordinarily nice and to have pride in my self image.

I'd appreciate any and all help that I can get in conjuring up an interesting, stylish wardrobe. I'm suppose to be receiving $2000 back from Fin. Aid this semester and I'm willing to take $500 out of it to get started on building up a wardrobe. But, I need some more direction on how to start and continue building a nice wardrobe as I phase out the old, "not worth mentioning" wardrobe I've worn for years.

9. max_r

max_r Senior member

words

i suggest reading through the waywt discussion thread and finding fits you like, and a style you like. read the comments that people get aswell.

once you figure out exactly what you want to be doing, you'll be able to ask more specific questions and get more specific answers.

there are lots of threads people have made (and posts in this thread) where people ask what they should buy to be fashionable, but theres no set list of things you will look good in, depends where you live, what you look like, what you're shaped like, what you do for a living, etc etc. (only the MC section of this forum thinks people can be dressed by a formula)

10. epilepc

epilepc Well-Known Member

i suggest reading through the waywt discussion thread and finding fits you like, and a style you like. read the comments that people get aswell.

once you figure out exactly what you want to be doing, you'll be able to ask more specific questions and get more specific answers.

there are lots of threads people have made (and posts in this thread) where people ask what they should buy to be fashionable, but theres no set list of things you will look good in, depends where you live, what you look like, what you're shaped like, what you do for a living, etc etc. (only the MC section of this forum thinks people can be dressed by a formula)

this

11. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Senior member

12. Rigel

Rigel New Member

Hi, I've recently moved to a pretty cold part of the country from a pretty warm part of the country, and I need a nice fall/winter jacket. I'd like it to be slim fitting (so no giant parkas), prefer it to have little/no elastic around waist/wrists. A nice leather jacket would be ideal, though one that doesn't make me look like a biker, a WWII aviator, or a mall goth. In terms of leather I like the look of these: [​IMG] [​IMG] In terms of non-leather jackets I have less of an idea of what I'd like, but any and all suggestions are welcome. Thanks

13. max_r

max_r Senior member

^ the top one, i think he made himself, kind of reminds me of some stuff i've seen from blackscissors though.

bottom one is a moto jacket. Temple of Jawnz has a good one (guy on this forum who is making clothes) heres a link to the thread, pictures of the new moto are on this page http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...38419&page=362

14. yourguy11

yourguy11 Member

Need to buy new shoes, I'm looking for something for everyday wear (read: what I put on when I go to library, class, etc). Sneakers probably. Looking for something below $200, and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, so there has to be a store there.

Really have no clue about any style let alone sneaker/everyday shoe style, so please help me out and show me some pics of what is good and what is not, or better yet what I should probably get. I tend to wear jeans btw.

Thanks a lot.

15. yourguy11

yourguy11 Member

Need to buy new shoes, I'm looking for something for everyday wear (read: what I put on when I go to library, class, etc). Sneakers probably. Looking for something below $200, and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, so there has to be a store there.

Really have no clue about any style let alone sneaker/everyday shoe style, so please help me out and show me some pics of what is good and what is not, or better yet what I should probably get. I tend to wear jeans btw.

Thanks a lot.

bump