1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Senior member

I have a 26 waist, 36 inseam and I prefer a slim-straight cut to my pants (I have weird digestion problems and small bones). I've never found a pair of jeans or slacks that fit well. Whenever I find pants that fit me in the waist, the inseam is always way too short, with far too little material to bring down.

Do you have any recommendations for stores/brands to check out? I live in the Boston area. I know there are custom jean sources online, but I would really prefer to have somewhere physical to go to buy my clothes, both to feel the quality of the material and to try them on.

Thanks!

Lucky Jeans will go 28x36.5, and they have several stores in Boston. It's not 26, but it might be close, especially with a little shrinkage.

2. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

3. auxym

auxym Member

BB molino

484 fit cords r great on me. Get longer inseam tho

I have the jcrew cords and I really like them. Fit is TTS (as far as I can tell).

Thanks for the comments. Do any of you have any idea if top block (read: ass) is more roomy in either of those pants? I tried on some levis 514 (sz 32) cords at the bay the other day. Fit great in the waist, thighs, and legs, but wayy too tight for my butt, pulled a lot behind and had the camel toe look.

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

How is Orvis leather, compared to ToJ? Looking for a bomber

5. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

6. Ike

Ike Senior member

I'd then question the point of buying a St James hat specifically... if it's black. I'd say have some fun and go with the stripes if you have another 2-3 hats in your wardrobe.

7. Spaghettimatt

solid... the stripes aren't as easy to make work with stuff as you'd imagine..
    Well I'd be wearing it with a Navy blue peacoat... so that is why the nautical stripes seemed to make sense to me on the scarf and hat. Would that be a bit overboard (pun) on the sailing though?

8. jm97351

jm97351 New Member

9. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Hello, Style Forum:

I suppose for my inaugural post, I'll ask something I have always wondered:

Where, oh where can I find a type of pant -- any type of pant -- where the ass doesn't hang down to the floor? Jeans, khakis, it doesn't matter. I seem to have tried everything (save for the thousand-dollar models you see in those ads that have come to replace the articles in GQ).

I've been fat and I've been slim, and it has made no difference. Any leads are appreciated!

Thanks.

10. cowsareforeating

cowsareforeating Senior member

just check the rise measurements (front rise) and if you're less than 10 inches on that measurement with a fitting waist, you'll be fine.

11. Prada_Ferragamo

Prada_Ferragamo Senior member

Hello, Style Forum:

I suppose for my inaugural post, I'll ask something I have always wondered:

Where, oh where can I find a type of pant -- any type of pant -- where the ass doesn't hang down to the floor? Jeans, khakis, it doesn't matter. I seem to have tried everything (save for the thousand-dollar models you see in those ads that have come to replace the articles in GQ).

I've been fat and I've been slim, and it has made no difference. Any leads are appreciated!

Thanks.

So you don't want sag? mid rise or high rise is your answer.

12. voyaging

voyaging Well-Known Member

So I am really wanting to buy a pair of black, slim Chelsea boots to go with my Nudie Grim Tim Selvages and Theory grey wool slim(ish) pants. From what I would guess, they would match well (I'l going for a bit of a Bob Dylan look).

Good decision? And if so, what Chelsea boots should I get? I've heard a lot about RM Williams, but they're out of my price range. I've also heard a lot about Charles Tyrwhitt, but I've heard some things about their quality getting worse over the years. Input is appreciated.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

So you don't want sag? mid rise or high rise is your answer.

Cows, Prada, that is very helpful. Thanks!

14. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

So I am really wanting to buy a pair of black, slim Chelsea boots to go with my Nudie Grim Tim Selvages and Theory grey wool slim(ish) pants. From what I would guess, they would match well (I'l going for a bit of a Bob Dylan look).

Good decision? And if so, what Chelsea boots should I get? I've heard a lot about RM Williams, but they're out of my price range. I've also heard a lot about Charles Tyrwhitt, but I've heard some things about their quality getting worse over the years. Input is appreciated.

how out of your price range? you could try and wait for sales or get them second handed. if i really wanted chelseas i'd just save up for those. or troll b&s (the mc side too).

15. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

16. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

17. Spaghettimatt

no stripes. and if you ignore that then please dont match

Solid advice. Thanks.

18. Knisse

Knisse Senior member

Hey everyone. I am trying to get less but more quality stuff. So i could use some solid advice on comfortable but high quality socks - both regular, and so called loafers- and also underwear briefs/boxers.

Anyone that got some solid recommendations? But please no annoying logo like D&G or CK versions.

19. coco2010

coco2010 Senior member

Can u guys recommend me a decent leather jacket (preferably a bomber) in a $200 - 400 range?

20. Ike

Ike Senior member

Hey everyone. I am trying to get less but more quality stuff. So i could use some solid advice on comfortable but high quality socks - both regular, and so called loafers- and also underwear briefs/boxers.

Anyone that got some solid recommendations? But please no annoying logo like D&G or CK versions.

Mocc socks or equivalent for loafers. I think J crew and some other places sell them as well in a similar cut. The other option - women's no-show socks. I have used them in the past.

Otherwise, avoid cotton. Get some cheapo workout socks from Target/Champion and splurge on some wool socks like Wigwams/Thorlos. Smartwool is also a great option, especially just basic black ones for dressing up. I either wear wool socks or no sock, depending on the season...