Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. farraj18

farraj18 Senior member

Yes, buttondowns are fine.

2. Lane

Lane Senior member

what about hats for a 20 year old college student? any reason why you'd advise against a hat?

3. farraj18

farraj18 Senior member

what about hats for a 20 year old college student? any reason why you'd advise against a hat?

Again, I think that type of hat and situation come into play here.

Panama hats are a no-no.
    Baseball caps, again, 99.9% of the time no.
    Fedoras, more often than not I'd say no. They've become an icon of douchebaggery, so it's usually recommended to avoid them.

New York City and Boston are the only places I could think of seeing people wearing a newsboy cap and not looking sorely out of place, to be honest.

Again, beanies are situational and locational.

4. Lane

Lane Senior member

I use beanies a lot cuz its cold here in DC most of the year. I was thinking of getting some kind of hat. I agree with your assessment on each type of hat so I guess I might stay away from them.

5. farraj18

farraj18 Senior member

I use beanies a lot cuz its cold here in DC most of the year.

Whoa!? Since when did DC get cold?

6. Lane

Lane Senior member

washington, DC

you trolling? lol

7. Piroshky

Piroshky Senior member

Whoa!? Since when did DC get cold?
    It usually hits around the teens for a few weeks in winter. Nothing to spit at.
    I use beanies a lot cuz its cold here in DC most of the year. I was thinking of getting some kind of hat. I agree with your assessment on each type of hat so I guess I might stay away from them.
    What's your aesthetic like? If you think it would mesh well with the rest of your gear, try out stormy kromer's offerings, they're probably as casual as you're going to get with hats, and are probably the most age appropriate for the average 20-something. Although there's nothing wrong with a good watch-cap.
    Again, I think that type of hat and situation come into play here. Panama hats are a no-no. Baseball caps, again, 99.9% of the time no. Fedoras, more often than not I'd say no. They've become an icon of douchebaggery, so it's usually recommended to avoid them. New York City and Boston are the only places I could think of seeing people wearing a newsboy cap and not looking sorely out of place, to be honest. Again, beanies are situational and locational.
    Nah, baseball caps are nowhere near 99.9% no. A subtle, well-styled ball cap is entirely functional and stylish, given that it is worn in a casual situation. I wear a wool ball cap occasionally in winter, and in the summer when the sun's oppressive I throw on a ball cap. Granted, it's not an everyday thing, it's certainly more about utility. I agree with the newsboy cap suggestion.
    Depends on your style, if you have the swagger to pull off a wool walking hat or something of that sort, go for it.

8. farraj18

farraj18 Senior member

It usually hits around the teens for a few weeks in winter. Nothing to spit at.

I should've put in the (5) for sarcasm. I've got relatives that live there. Wisconsin is just a tad bit colder and I'm moving to Colorado (not much warmer). So it was semi-sarcastic

9. Lane

Lane Senior member

http://shop.standard.co.uk/images/pr...89/8901633.jpg i was thinking something like that. However, I've changed my mind and am looking for some jackets again instead. Also, aesthetically I vary between a lot of stuff. Kind of hard to describe what I like. I just look for dark colors.

10. YUT

YUT New Member

@ Green_Pinguin

Cheers!
    Any more suggestions?

11. Piroshky

Piroshky Senior member

I should've put in the (5) for sarcasm. I've got relatives that live there. Wisconsin is just a tad bit colder and I'm moving to Colorado (not much warmer). So it was semi-sarcastic
    Nah I picked up on it. True, DC's not particularly cold (I live up in VT) but it's all what you're acclimated to, ya'know. Lane, probably wanna stay away from stuff like that. To be fair, if you're going for well dressed urban gentleman, and you're going to match the formal-ness of that hat with the rest of your attire, by all means, but you could run into some dodgy sartorial territory.

12. ~whip~

~whip~ Active Member

I'm currently in the process of over-hauling my wardrobe and getting some decent clothes in and I'm mulling over what footwear to get myself for the Autumn ~ Winter period. I'll mostly be wearing jeans, some khakis when I get hold of some and maybe some lighter trousers too but all being within a casual-smart look. Now, the boots I'm currently looking at getting are either a pair of Red Wings (on the left of the picture) or a pair of Clarks Desert Boots. But I'm not sure if the suede of the Clarks will be warm enough for the Autumn & Winter periods....[​IMG] The Red Wings are £160, the Clarks £75.

[​IMG]

What do you think?

13. scientific

scientific Senior member

what's a good neighborhood in manhattan that i can walk around and find some shorts and tee shirts to buy tomorrow?

14. GraphicNovelty

GraphicNovelty Senior member

what's a good neighborhood in manhattan that i can walk around and find some shorts and tee shirts to buy tomorrow?

Soho has both Topman and Uniqlo a block away from each other on broadway, and Opening Ceremony is right around the corner.

15. scientific

scientific Senior member

cool i like soho. any other good places to check out there? esp ones that are not excessively hipster-ish or emo-ish?