1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

^^
    I like this guy.

Honestly, my best advice is to just rock basic shit until you get your money up. I gained a lot of weight and cut my income roughly in half recently, so that's where I'm at. Thing is, if you just do simple and tasteful you're already ahead of like 97% of people anywhere in this country - including dat WEST SIIIIIIIDE.

I love that smug feeling I get when I'm waiting for a table or something and some clown walks by in Rock and Republics with a chick on his arm wearing Citizens or whatever. I'm just like, my jeans are so much fucking cooler than yours you wouldn't believe it if I told you.

Welcome to StyleForum.

2. Dashaansafin

Dashaansafin Senior member

Where do I buy casual ties? Jcrew is one source....

3. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

After a recess of poor-dom: There have been a few threads on a similar topic, but the basics: in the middle of a weight trim-down (15 pounds in, 30 or 40 to go) but I've stretched as much as my old wardrobe can go--I have a couple of American Apperal polos and Tees that fit (I have a medium that's bigger than a large, further baffling my calls for a medarge size--mediums are tight and midriff me but larges are a tad too baggy for most brands). I sunk most of my cash on a pair of jeans that should work even after I shed an inch or so off the waist [most of my weight is in my legs and upper body] and a pair of rapist boots, but I need --something-- to wear for the next year or so until I'm happy enough to buy bespoke/more expensive pieces. And between asking "I has a hemming APC NS question" and "make me not wear the same three shirts and belts." repeat questions, I've settled on the latter. Currently residing on the west side of LA, near santa monica. Any help, detailed or broad, is warmly loved. Looking to spend ~$500 over a month or so on the temporary wardrobe.
    Just buy one RO tee a month for a year. They look awesome oversized so losing weight won't be a problem. (Only half kidding, I wish I had just straight up bought RO stuff when I was first getting in to fashion as opposed to buying all these "basics" that don't fit my aesthetic at all now and that I'm desperate to sell)

4. Razele

Razele Senior member

I'm in the same dilemma.

I've lost 20 pounds, 30 left. So what do you do?

I've got plenty of MTO shirts done, that my tailor will take in when I get down to my normal weight, then, I've also been buying shoes for both streetwear and menswear.

My current dilemma is this - I was going to get the SEXSC06 followed by a pair of A.P.C's or Crate, if I can get my size.

Do I get them now? The SEXSC06 is on sale, at a attractive price. They will shrink in when I hot wash them, so can I wear and then hot wash when I need to bring them back in? A.P.C's do the same I'm told.

Horde cash to buy later, or get things that I like now, but size them for what I'll be when I loose the weight?

5. Steggy

Steggy Senior member

anyone know where i can get a hat in these 2 colors? unfortunately the particular one below has been sold out for a while, but i can deal with different logos or plain. i just really like the turquoise with a red bill. halp? [​IMG]

6. robbie

robbie Senior member

^Are there any Zaras in the Omaha area? Their style is pretty Euro (not much moreso than H&M), but they make good stuff. If you can spend a little more, J. Crew has some decent stuff.

What kind of fabric/cut are you looking for? The prepster in me wants to recommend a seersucker or khaki-colored linen suit would be pretty sharp.

I sincerely doubt there is a Zara in Omaha.

I like how the j crew look... but they don't look like they'd fit the way I want my suit to ideally fit.

I want a cotton suit if possible, I think these are better year round right? seersucker is too east coast/kennedy's IMO, and I don't know how I feel about khaki.

I really want a navy blue suit. I had no idea what/who brioni was and tried a navy sports coat on at a place in OKC called Mr Ooleys... it was just about perfect, but I think the shirt and pants were something like 2300 together or someting.

I will look into Zara, but yeah. any further suggestions wmmk?

7. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

2300 for Brioni is LEGIT. Anyway, what don't you like about the way J. Crew fits? I assume you'll be having alterations done, right?

Anyway, you could always try a Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren outlet store. I think Brooks actually has a different label for outlets (they call it "346", IIRC, and it fits very boxy), but you can sometimes find very nice Purple/Black/Blue label suits at RL outlets. Only concern there is that you probably couldn't find enough identical suits for all the groomsmen. On that note, how important is having everyone in the same suit to you? Your frame is probably going to be best suited (no pun intended) by something that'd look clownish on the guy who's a 42R. If you're willing to keep everyone in, say, navy 2B notch lapel suits, but have different cuts for different guys, it'd be a little easier.

8. robbie

robbie Senior member

the pants don't look as though they'd fit they way I want them to. They look pretty straight leg and looser than I'd like. And I don't know.

I think my problem is that the suit I want can't be had within my price range.
    And I don't know enough about suits to see a suit I like in a magazine/etc, and then use that info to find a suit for myself.

9. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

the pants don't look as though they'd fit they way I want them to. They look pretty straight leg and looser than I'd like. And I don't know.

I think my problem is that the suit I want can't be had within my price range.
    And I don't know enough about suits to see a suit I like in a magazine/etc, and then use that info to find a suit for myself.

Pants are something a tailor could slim down easily. Cheap Monday is making some really great (slim) suits for under $300. Their aesthetic is a little TaT-esque. Look into them. Again, how do you feel about wearing a different cut/make than groomsmen, as long as all the suits look pretty similar?

10. Clemson

Clemson Senior member

anyone know where i can get a hat in these 2 colors? unfortunately the particular one below has been sold out for a while, but i can deal with different logos or plain. i just really like the turquoise with a red bill. halp?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. robertorex

robertorex Senior member

anyone know where i can get a hat in these 2 colors? unfortunately the particular one below has been sold out for a while, but i can deal with different logos or plain. i just really like the turquoise with a red bill. halp?
    [​IMG]

Wrong thread. Try this one.

12. JaPo

JaPo Senior member

Potentially on the look out for some sweet ass desert boots. I currently have a pair of utterly disheveled Loake Kemptons, which I was a big fan of. Obviously the Clarks classics are highly regarded, but for small difference in price (negative/positive depending on where I go), I can get the Loake Desert Boot. Obviously I haven't a clue about quality but I'm swaying towards the Loake in terms of sheer aesthetics. Whadda you hoodlums think? [​IMG] / [​IMG] Apart from the inescapable feeling of 'Primary School shoes'... the Clarks has a ton of colours to choose from. I'd probably go for the brown suede in both pairs.

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

14. genericman

genericman Senior member

I've been looking for a slim suit lately and thought I could score one during the Shipley & Halmos sale on Gilt. Unfortunately, my trigger finger was too slow and my size 40R suit was taken from me. Some information about myself...I'm a graduate student with an ill-fitting Kenneth Cole Reaction Black Suit (42R) bought from Dillard's back in my college frat days. I have no suit-requiring events in the near future that I know of, so there is no rush to get one. It's just nice to have one so that I can try to "complete" my wardrobe. Anyways, my ideal suit would be a charcoal Black Fleece but I can not justify the price with my meager student loans. I found these suits at Topman. Any suggestions? Should I go for a Topman/Zara/H&M slim suit for now or wait for a Shipley & Halmos/TaT quality-type suit sale? Looking to spend between $200-$350ish. Thanks! Top Man Grey wool blend sharkskin slim fit single breasted 2 button jacket. 52% Wool,48% Polyester. On Sale $130 Retail $270 [​IMG] [​IMG] or Top Man Designs (their fashion runway line, I guess), Single breasted, 2 button and slim fit. 100% Cotton. $370 Retail [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Why not go with TaT? With a standard fabric, they're definitely in your price range ($453 for a suit).

16. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

Looking for a slim bifold wallet, preferably black, preferably leather, but I'm flexible; the most important thing is that it's as slim as possible. This is pretty much exactly what I want, but I'm wary of doing business with any company that can't respond to a simple email inquiry, so I'm looking for alternatives. Thanks in advance.

17. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Looking for a slim bifold wallet, preferably black, preferably leather, but I'm flexible; the most important thing is that it's as slim as possible. This is pretty much exactly what I want, but I'm wary of doing business with any company that can't respond to a simple email inquiry, so I'm looking for alternatives. Thanks in advance.

These things are thin as hell:

http://www.all-ett.com/products.asp

People's only gripe is the "noise" the synthetic material makes. Quieter with the leather outer... inner is still synthetic.

18. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Looking for relatively thin (silk? linen?) khaki/tan pants. I'm thinking something somewhat drapey all the way through the calves, but with a really small leg opening would look kinda cool. I've seen some gothninja pants that are kind of like this, but I'd like something that would look less out-of-place with my other clothes. Affordable, plz. kthxbai.

19. thegreenlight

thegreenlight Member

I'm looking for a black military jacket. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can find a good one?

20. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

The army surplus store?

And there's a ton of different &quot;styles&quot; of military jacket... you might want to be more specific...