• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

JackTheRipper

Reaction score
I'm looking for a non-baller sneaker that doesn't have a low profile. I don't like plimsols since I'm kinda bulky and having such a sleek sneaker really offsets my proportions. I was thinking of chukka styled sneakers, but any other alternatives? I'd prefer nothing ghetto or too skateboardish.

netovargas90

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vertig0

Thank you for reading this entire post, I sincerely appreciate any and all help/advice.

It sounds like you are confusing simple with boring. Please have some personality, you wrote a novel on your aspiration to look mediocre.

vertig0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by netovargas90
It sounds like you are confusing simple with boring. Please have some personality, you wrote a novel on your aspiration to look mediocre.

Yes, I agree. I realize now that I wrote way too much and that the majority of people did not read it, which is my fault. But the reason I wrote so much is I feel like I have a pretty good grip on my personality, and I'm trying to dress accordingly, so I thought the more information I gave, the better. Mediocre is not my goal, granted I'm not trying to become a beacon of fashionable dressing, but I am trying to dress according to my personality and body style, which is what I am having trouble with.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. I realize now that I wrote way too much and that the majority of people did not read it, which is my fault. But the reason I wrote so much is I feel like I have a pretty good grip on my personality, and I'm trying to dress accordingly, so I thought the more information I gave, the better. Mediocre is not my goal, granted I'm not trying to become a beacon of fashionable dressing, but I am trying to dress according to my personality and body style, which is what I am having trouble with.

You are not a sitcom character, you are not a Batman villain. Not every aspect of your life needs to conform to a personal archetype. Instead of "dressing your personality", or deciding on what style you want before you've had a chance to develop your wardrobe, you'll be missing out on growth opportunities. Maybe you'll find out that you really like Paul Smith brogues. Not a fit with what you think of as your style, but there's no reason to let that hold you back. The most interesting personal style, I think, develops from a fairly laid-back approach to clothes - buy a thing if you like it, then make it fit your wardrobe. Don't just fill out a checklist that will make you look kind of like Steve McQueen.

Saltricks

Reaction score
I'm looking for some nice:

sub100 sneakers
a summer tie
and sub 200 dollar pants that go well with a brown jacket (with blue window pane pattern)

vertig0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
You are not a sitcom character, you are not a Batman villain. Not every aspect of your life needs to conform to a personal archetype. Instead of "dressing your personality", or deciding on what style you want before you've had a chance to develop your wardrobe, you'll be missing out on growth opportunities. Maybe you'll find out that you really like Paul Smith brogues. Not a fit with what you think of as your style, but there's no reason to let that hold you back. The most interesting personal style, I think, develops from a fairly laid-back approach to clothes - buy a thing if you like it, then make it fit your wardrobe. Don't just fill out a checklist that will make you look kind of like Steve McQueen.

Thanks for the advice. Again, I agree with you. It wasn't my intention with my post to create some sort of checklist of pieces I need to add to create my wardrobe. I suppose what I am looking for is a jumping off point. The biggest thing I have working against me is my current location; there is literally no where around me to shop (not even the decent mall brands); so I have to do all my shopping online, which can prove to be difficult since I can't try pieces on/just walk around and see what jumps out at me.

So again, I agree with you 100%, I'm just having difficulty with a starting point.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Again, I agree with you. It wasn't my intention with my post to create some sort of checklist of pieces I need to add to create my wardrobe. I suppose what I am looking for is a jumping off point. The biggest thing I have working against me is my current location; there is literally no where around me to shop (not even the decent mall brands); so I have to do all my shopping online, which can prove to be difficult since I can't try pieces on/just walk around and see what jumps out at me.

So again, I agree with you 100%, I'm just having difficulty with a starting point.

The best thing to do is wait, really. I've bought online before, and there's really nothing like going into a store and trying the item on. 3/4 of the year, I'm in the same boat as you, and I know how much it sucks. I once had to buy a suit, and my options were Men's Wearhouse, Banana Republic, and Macy's.

Take a trip to a bigger city sometime, and, while you're there, try stuff on. You don't need to buy anything, but you should at least get a feel for sizing/materials/real world look by brand. Then you can buy online with some confidence, knowing what size you are in Band/KZO/W&H etc.

Until then, online MTM is probably your best bet. Generally, they document their goods better because they don't have a physical store, and you can get a really good look at sizing and appearance. Temple of Jawnz gets lots of love here, as does Thick as Thieves. I haven't tried either, but forum reactions have been generally positive.

Hope that helps. Good luck, man.

vertig0

Reaction score
The best thing to do is wait, really. I've bought online before, and there's really nothing like going into a store and trying the item on. 3/4 of the year, I'm in the same boat as you, and I know how much it sucks. I once had to buy a suit, and my options were Men's Wearhouse, Banana Republic, and Macy's. Take a trip to a bigger city sometime, and, while you're there, try stuff on. You don't need to buy anything, but you should at least get a feel for sizing/materials/real world look by brand. Then you can buy online with some confidence, knowing what size you are in Band/KZO/W&H etc. Until then, online MTM is probably your best bet. Generally, they document their goods better because they don't have a physical store, and you can get a really good look at sizing and appearance. Temple of Jawnz gets lots of love here, as does Thick as Thieves. I haven't tried either, but forum reactions have been generally positive. Hope that helps. Good luck, man.
Thanks again for the advice Makeshift_Robot, I do appreciate it! I'm glad, but not necessarily glad, to see someone else with my problem. With my original post I was really trying to find some labels and places to shop that sort of cater to my general aesthetic/body type, for the exact reasons you mentioned; the market is just too big to try and buy everything online without some disappointment. Plus, I'm trying to avoid buying random pieces, at least this earlier in the game, that do not go together as I feel I need to build a more interchangeable wardrobe in the beginning. But I think I'll try to purchase some basics, and save some of my bigger purchases for when I can get in a city and really get a feel for the clothing (and hopefully avoid splurge and impulsive purchases). Thanks again for the help!

ben39

Reaction score
I'm looking for a pair of slim fitting beige/tan/olive chinos. I am 5'11, 130lbs and usually wear size 29 raw denim. I like the look of Acne chinos (http://shop.acnestudios.com/shop/men...itt-34132.html) but I am unsure of there sizing and they are expensive.
2LP101-259_a__1.jpg
Anybody got any recommendations for under $150 USD? Need to be able to get them online.

ben39

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saltricks
I'm looking for some nice: sub100 sneakers
What kind of sneakers are you after? I like some of the stuff from Lacoste.
lacoste-lawn_srm_sde-brown-1.jpg

Max_Yeah_True

Reaction score
Hey I'm a total fashion nub. I want to get into it, and I was wondering if you could set me up with some "set-ups"? Like complete clothing set-ups. I saw this picture and thought it was pretty fashionable... http://cdndvs.yoox.biz/36/36076969BI_zm1_5.jpg Do you know what those pieces are? If you don't know what I mean then ask and I'll clarify. BTW I'm 15, and I'm a guy, and I live in Montreal, Canada.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Max_Yeah_True
Hey I'm a total fashion nub. I want to get into it, and I was wondering if you could set me up with some "set-ups"? Like complete clothing set-ups.

I saw this picture and thought it was pretty fashionable...

http://cdndvs.yoox.biz/36/36076969BI_zm1_5.jpg

Do you know what those pieces are?

If you don't know what I mean then ask and I'll clarify.

BTW I'm 15, and I'm a guy, and I live in Montreal, Canada.

On the off chance that you aren't a troll...

That all looks like ****.

No one is going to set you up with a wardrobe, nor should they.

You are going to grow in the next 10 years, so buying good clothes is kind of pointless.

Honestly, just learn to play piano or breakdance or something, it's way more important at that stage of life.

Jinx88

Reaction score
Any taupe belts with simple belt buckles? The only ones I could find for a decent price were ones with elaborate, and in my opinion, gaudy belt buckles.

gwydion

Reaction score
On the off chance that you aren't a troll...

That all looks like ****.

No one is going to set you up with a wardrobe, nor should they.

You are going to grow in the next 10 years, so buying good clothes is kind of pointless.

Honestly, just learn to play piano or breakdance or something, it's way more important at that stage of life.

That's what goes for fashionable here in Montreal
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads