• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

vertig0

Reaction score
Gents, It’s been about five months since my original post and plea for sartorial advice, and I think it’s finally time for my follow up post. I’ve honestly been putting off writing this for a good while, as I’m still pretty green, but I feel I have a very good grasp on who I am and my personality, and it’s time my clothing became an extension of my personality. I’m, quite honestly, approaching this very seriously, because this is something I want to get better at. Anyway, I’m going to stop rambling and get to it. Body Composition: Age: 24 Height: 5’10” Weight: 172lbs Bodyfat: around 8-9% Skin: Caucasian, somewhat tan Build: Athletic build Hair: Dark brown Eyes: Hazel Random shot. T-shirt is baggy as hell and shaped terribly. I tucked the front you could get an idea of my proportions.
randomshot.jpg
By invertig0 at 2010-06-06 Quick note on hair: My hair’s short, a lot like Jake Gyllenhaal’s on the last cover of GQ. I’ve been using American Crew Fiber, but it’s not really doing what I want. I think I need to switch to possibly a matte finish? GQ recommends Kevin Murphy Night Rider, but I know a lot of you guys like Gatsby wax. Could I get some recommendations and the best way to use the product? Measurements: Tailor number one: Chest:43 Full length:31 Back width: 9.5 Overarm: 51 Waist:35 Natural waist: 33 Seat: 40 Inside sleeve: 16.25 Trousers: Outseem: 39 Inseem: 29 Bottom: 19 Tailor number two: Neck: 16.5 Sleeve: 34 Outseem: 40 Chest: 42.5 Overarm: 50 Seat: 39 As you can see, I have a good 9-10 inch drop, which makes buying shirts a pain. Also, I’m not sure if this is normal, but my chest measures at 42.5-43, but a size 40 coat fits me best. Is this normal? Personal style: Personality: Extremely laid back, but competitive Music I like (I feel like music is a good indicator of personality): Classic rock (CCR, Led Zeppelin), Jam Bands (Cream, moe.), REAL country (Hank Williams, Guy Clark), Bluesy bluegrass (Old Crow Medicine Show, or think “True Blood” soundtrack), Live music, Acoustic guitar Favorite ice cream: homemade vanilla Interests: Anything outdoors, fitness, sports, fishing, hiking, hunting, swimming, dive bars, naturally pretty girls that don’t wear much make-up, good Bourbon on the rocks, naturally pretty girls that don’t wear much make-up that drink good Bourbon on the rocks Literature: I’ll read about anything. It’s hard to deny the classics, but I’m also a fan of Modernism, leaning more towards Hemmingway than Joyce. I like the old world feel of their type of stories, where it was perfectly acceptable to drink cocktails at the cafÃ
00a9.png
all night and have promiscuous sex with virtually everyone. A time where people did what they want, rather than what they thought they should do. Guys I view as icons: Gary Cooper, Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, Warren Beatty, and Brad Pitt Clothing Style: This is where things might get messy and I apologize. I know this is long, and I know I left out some details in trying to make it shorter. I took the advice after my last post and cruised affiliate threads, WAYWT, and a few blogs. I got a good idea about fit from a few helpful links Lel posted up for me. I looked through the newest version of WAYWT, and though I saw some good fits, nothing jumped out at me that I want to try and recreate. I also checked out the latest trends on my sartorial journey. Other than a few outerwear pieces, I’m not into the workwear trend. I don’t have to wear suits, so Mad Men is out. I’m not an elitist self-admitted progressive so no Ivy League trad/prep. Though it’s neither profound nor new, my personal style really fits the mold of classic, clean, American-prep (but what were you expecting from a guy whose favorite ice cream is homemade vanilla). But not in the frat boy/country club sense, I can’t stand that nonsense. I like well-fitting basics, and want to keep things SIMPLE. I’m a minimalist, I like the simple things in life, and I can definitely see this transpiring to my clothing. I would honestly rather have 5-6 outfits that I love and feel comfortable in, than 25 that are just OK. My color palate will probably be pretty bland, but I plan to make up with that and get some color from socks/scarves. This is a casual look, so I figure I could possibly incorporate more trousers and shoes over jeans and sneakers to dress it up a little. I know my outfits will probably be pretty bland, but I hope that the fit and ease with which I wear them will make them great. I would like to get a few interesting pieces to spread throughout my wardrobe, but I’m not quite sure what they’ll be yet, but probably more along the lines of outerwear in the winter, I really like the surf-bum/hippie/gentlemen persona. So I suppose my style is about simplicity and keeping things clean cut. I want to master the art of looking good without appearing to give a damn. This is going to be a complete wardrobe makeover, which really isn’t going to be difficult since I’ve already gotten rid of most of my old clothes. What I have that can still work: one pair of APC NS, Earnest Sewn Fulton’s Baxter Wash, Black Pea Coat, Tanner Goods natural leather belt, Adidas Sambas (though I think these will just be my bum-around-town sneakers; I don’t really like the contrasting white and black, and I don’t think they look good with dark indigo), Sperry Top-sider boat shoes. That’s it. I do really like the raw denim trend that came with the workwear, I like the idea of clothes that last forever, and all the stories they could tell. I’ll sort of list out items I could use, but please don’t think of it as a shopping list, more like areas I’ve identified that need work soon so they’re in my short term mind. Footwear: I feel like footwear makes or breaks an outfit. The last few summer I’ve worn flip-flops exclusively (Father forgive me for I have sinned), but since I don’t like near the beach yet, I do need to pick up some sneakers and boots. I’m thinking some DB’s in brown suede, non-baller sneakers (SeeVee’s is my upper limit when it comes to sneakers) probably white and canvas; I don’t like Converse of JP’s. Bottom: I’ve got: 1 pair APC NS 1 pair Earnest Sewn Fulton’s Baxter wash (my one impulse buy off Gilt a few weeks ago; they’re OK, I’m not a huge fan of fake distressing, but at least there’s no embellishments or ridiculous back pocket stitching I would like: A few more pairs of denim (I can see myself developing an obsession). Really too much out there for me to sort through, but maybe another pair of dark indigo, and a more medium wash or grey pair Chinos (Grey, Stone, Navy) Shorts (for the beach) Possibly Shades or Greige Cords or one of the other shorter pairs I saw on Need Supply Top: Here’s where I run into trouble. I rarely find anything I like for my upper body. I’m definitely a T-shirt guy (plain T’s) and was thinking possibly Velva Sheen, even though there are pricey. I’ve completely stopped wearing OCBD’s and polos the last few years, but I hope I can find something that fits me well. I’m thinking 1 White OCBD and 1 Navy OCBD. I never liked short sleeve button ups, but the BoO one’s look nice. Lapels I’ve identified that I think I’m interested in: Unis, Riviera Club, BoO Notes I know it sounds like I’m saying “build me a wardrobe to these specifications,” and in a way I am, so I feel a need to explain myself. After the last few months of reading about style & fashion, I’ve realized there’s a lot I don’t care about and way too much out there for me to sort through. Now that I’ve sort of carved out my niche, I’m looking for any help possible in cultivating it; whether it be blogs, forum members that share my same sartorial sense, literally anything. Biggest problem My biggest problem is where I’m currently living there is ZERO inspiration. I have to get any inspiration from this website, blogs, or the occasional GQ. This affects me because I have to do all of my shopping via the internet, and I’m not particularly good at building outfits because I never see what a well put together outfit looks like. Thank you for reading this entire post, I sincerely appreciate any and all help/advice.

tightandbright

Reaction score
Soo... Umm I'm trying to look more like an adult now (I'm 18, graduated from high school). I'm sick and tired of looking like a kid.
I live in BC Canada and I don't know where I should go to buy preppy clothes. So far I've been buying things from Club Monaco, but they don't really have a lot of colors there... I kind of want to wear like sweaters and blazers and stuff like that. So where can I buy clothes like that near where I live? I consider myself to be very slim (I wear XS Club Monaco clothes, 5'11 and 130lbs) and that kind of makes shopping for clothes difficult. None of the things at BR fit me. Thanks in advance.
Also, where can I buy like casual dress shoes or whatever. Like I've seen a lot of people wearing jeans + brown/black dressy looking shoes.

sbwoodside

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jyksf
I'm looking for some slim plain and graphic t-shirts. No dress shirts. I'm 6 feet tall, slim, but not super skinny. I'm an athlete so I don't have an irregular body shape or anything.
Quiksilver has a lot of slim fit t-shirts that fit me very well. They are labelled "slim fit" or such like. The fabric they use varies but some of it is decent and the designs tend to be pretty abstract. I also buy shirts from adidas, umbro etc. that are specifically designed for wearing while you play soccer, since they are designed for a more slim/athletic build.

Cheweh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightandbright
Soo... Umm I'm trying to look more like an adult now (I'm 18, graduated from high school). I'm sick and tired of looking like a kid.
I live in BC Canada and I don't know where I should go to buy preppy clothes. So far I've been buying things from Club Monaco, but they don't really have a lot of colors there... I kind of want to wear like sweaters and blazers and stuff like that. So where can I buy clothes like that near where I live? I consider myself to be very slim (I wear XS Club Monaco clothes, 5'11 and 130lbs) and that kind of makes shopping for clothes difficult. None of the things at BR fit me. Thanks in advance.
Also, where can I buy like casual dress shoes or whatever. Like I've seen a lot of people wearing jeans + brown/black dressy looking shoes.

I was in your situation a few years ago. It's really hard to buy well fitting clothes when you have a small frame. I feel your pain.

Seeing as you're coming out of high school, you probably want to be looking for cheap basics and go from there. I'd recommend looking at the gap/H&M/american apparel.

Also, these oxfords are great for the price
http://www.payless.com/store/product...playName=Mens+

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vertig0
Extremely long post.

For shirts, if you're interested in OCBD's, I'd suggest the Brooks Brothers extra slim fit shirts. I don't think BoO will look so good with your build. If you're looking for some more interesting fabrics, you could buy J. Crew shirts that fit in the shoulders and then have them tailored in the waist. It's a very cheap job.

The jeans you're wearing in the pic look like they fit very well. If those are the APC's, they will likely become much lighter through wear. I'd suggest a jean that would keep it's dark color to keep as a dressier jean, perhaps Acne Mics. Between those and the APCs you should be set on the blue jean front. There is a thread on grey jeans you may want to check out. Uniqlo is now offering a decent slim straight pair in addition to the usual suspects.

vertig0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
For shirts, if you're interested in OCBD's, I'd suggest the Brooks Brothers extra slim fit shirts. I don't think BoO will look so good with your build. If you're looking for some more interesting fabrics, you could buy J. Crew shirts that fit in the shoulders and then have them tailored in the waist. It's a very cheap job. The jeans you're wearing in the pic look like they fit very well. If those are the APC's, they will likely become much lighter through wear. I'd suggest a jean that would keep it's dark color to keep as a dressier jean, perhaps Acne Mics. Between those and the APCs you should be set on the blue jean front. There is a thread on grey jeans you may want to check out. Uniqlo is now offering a decent slim straight pair in addition to the usual suspects.
Thanks for the advice BossTweed; it's much appreciated! I realize my post was a too long, probably tried to cover too much. Those are APC NS, my first pair of raw denim, and I like them a lot -- I'm really excited to see how they turn out. What I really would like advice on is: I would say my personal aesthetic is a sort of minimalist simple classic, clean American-prep. I dig the sort of surf-bum/hippie feel; but I'm not saying I need to incorporate this everyday (got this idea from the picture of Steve McQueen sitting on a rail by the beach in a white t-shirt and slim chinos). Given my body type, what labels would fit me best, and what specific sort of clothing should I cater too and stay away from.

tightandbright

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheweh
I was in your situation a few years ago. It's really hard to buy well fitting clothes when you have a small frame. I feel your pain.

Seeing as you're coming out of high school, you probably want to be looking for cheap basics and go from there. I'd recommend looking at the gap/H&M/american apparel.

Also, these oxfords are great for the price
http://www.payless.com/store/product...playName=Mens+

laugh.gif
I bought a couple shirts at H&M. I don't really like their spring/summer clothes though. And no no for AMerican Apparel and Gap lol. I have a very good job (pays 18$ an hour) so um... I can afford pricier things (not too pricey though).

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I really would like advice on is:

I would say my personal aesthetic is a sort of minimalist simple classic, clean American-prep. I dig the sort of surf-bum/hippie feel; but I'm not saying I need to incorporate this everyday (got this idea from the picture of Steve McQueen sitting on a rail by the beach in a white t-shirt and slim chinos). Given my body type, what labels would fit me best, and what specific sort of clothing should I cater too and stay away from.

Read through lots of WAYWTD. Go to lots of stores and try on lots of things, even stuff you feel is outside your look. If you find a picture of a style you like online, even if it doesn't fit your look, save it somewhere.

Don't be too eager to define your look. It's a self-reinforcing loop; if you're into, say, classic tailoring, and constantly tell yourself that that's what you like, you'll never develop beyond it. Always keep an open mind on fashion, and don't be afraid to buy a piece outside your style range if you like it.

I think everyone should own some nice leather shoes (not sneakers, shoes), a good pair of jeans (raw or otherwise, as long as they're simple and fit well), and a white button-down shirt. You sound like you could also use some canvas sneakers, white shirts, and chinos. But don't worry too much about building up basics.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice BossTweed; it's much appreciated!

I realize my post was a too long, probably tried to cover too much. Those are APC NS, my first pair of raw denim, and I like them a lot -- I'm really excited to see how they turn out.

What I really would like advice on is:

I would say my personal aesthetic is a sort of minimalist simple classic, clean American-prep. I dig the sort of surf-bum/hippie feel; but I'm not saying I need to incorporate this everyday (got this idea from the picture of Steve McQueen sitting on a rail by the beach in a white t-shirt and slim chinos). Given my body type, what labels would fit me best, and what specific sort of clothing should I cater too and stay away from.

Boxy or tight - those are the only things you particularly should avoid. Also, as you want "classic, clean American-prep," you ought to incorporate some polo shirts into the wardrobe. There is no reason not to rely on, for example, J. Crew and Ralph Lauren, some specialty retailers (for more elaborate pieces), and a tailor. Getting a perfect fit on the first try ordering online is not likely. Maybe add an interesting watch as a personal trademark.

Makeshift_Robot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tightandbright

Don't buy this stuff so you can look like an adult. Really, I know lots of adults who don't wear any of this stuff. If you like the clothes, buy them, but don't do it just so you can look "grown up". If you feel mature, you'll look mature in a t-shirt and sneakers; if you feel young, you'll look like you're playing dress-up in blazers and brogues. Your body, your face, and your personality will tell people a hundred times more about you than your clothes.

To make your wardrobe feel more mature without moving into this stuff, focus on fit and design. Plain t-shirts (V-necks look good on most skinny guys), slim jeans without a ton of bold stitching, understated sneakers. You'll look older, but not like you're trying to look old.

Grow on a personal level. Read difficult books, take chances with pretty girls (or guys, if that's your thing), listen to classic music, and talk to the elderly. Learn to play an instrument or fix a car. That's way more important than whether your jacket has lapels or not.

vertig0

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Makeshift_Robot
Good advice

Thanks for the advice. I think my biggest problem is when I say I can't go to stores and try on things, I literally can't. I don't currently live around any sort of good shopping whatsoever, so the internet is my only outlet. Also, to go along with your picture suggestion, I actually started doing that some weeks ago because there is also no inspiration around me, which is really unfortunate. If you think it could help, I can post some pictures of styles that I seem to be drawn towards.

Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Boxy or tight - those are the only things you particularly should avoid. Also, as you want "classic, clean American-prep," you ought to incorporate some polo shirts into the wardrobe. There is no reason not to rely on, for example, J. Crew and Ralph Lauren, some specialty retailers (for more elaborate pieces), and a tailor. Getting a perfect fit on the first try ordering online is not likely. Maybe add an interesting watch as a personal trademark.

Thanks mensimageconsultant! I know this is a dumb question, but when you say boxy and tight, I know that includes garments that aren't shaped, tailored, etc. But what about a piece of outerwear that comes to say my belt, or a shorter OCBD? I'm not a complete dumbass and I know what boxy is, but I guess I could you a little clarification in this arena.

I think shoes make an outfit, I can see myself developing an obsession with denim, but I'm incredibly picky when it comes to clothing my upper body and I think it's because of my awareness that boxy makes me look like the hulk, but I feel that most garments fall into this category. Hence, I wouldn't mind developing a minimalist wardrobe for my top half of garments that flatter my build, rather than make me look like a rectangle.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find some Rag and Bone men's long johns in a medium? I don't care if they're the s/s10 edition...

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone point me toward some quality hi-top sneakers that are simple in design and made well enough to last awhile? Maybe something that looks better as they wear in?

I've been a boot guy for several years but would like one great pair of sneakers in rotation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads