• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

teampunjabi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TotesMcGotes
Check out Temple of Jawns for a shirt, they can be custom ordered and there are endless options on fabric and pattern. Also they are priced really reasonably. http://graphr.net/toj/
And for a belt I'd look into billykirk or Tanner Leather Goods. Or you could wait a little bit and a user on here makes awesome leather goods, he is about to start putting out belts i think. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...85#post3003685

Thanks for the response. I am checking out the site now, seems they are using a 3rd party site for now to relay info.

BriansAWildDowner

Reaction score
Hello all. I figured this would be a good place for my first post on this board.

I actually need a few recommendations. First off I need new shoes. Just casual, every day, walking to school shoes. I've been wearing black leather Dickies work boots but am ready for something more comfortable. Since I'm in Texas I need something that'll go well with wearing shorts. Since I'm also very short on cash versatility is really important to me as well. I'm considering a pair of these from LL Bean. If they ever get any back in stock anyway.

And I also need new shorts. The only ones i have now i bought about 13 years ago and while i may not know much about fashion i do know that JNCOs are definitely not in style. I figure I need denim, khakis and perhaps some navy blue ones.

Lustre

Reaction score
Originally Posted by c00kz
No direct suggestions but some advice:

-Avoid H&M- the styling might appeal to you but with few exceptions, H&M stuff, especially the jackets are not made to last. You can take a look at the racks and see for yourself how many buttons appear not to have even been tied somehow when sewn. The few lined jackets you find are made of horrible materials and really seem fit as a costume pieces in a high school theater co's wardrobe tbh..

-Stick to sales and B&S. For the same amount of money you WILL find something cooler, longer-lasting, and with a better value if you spend some time either here or on sales than you would if you walked into either BR or J.Crew right now and bought something off the rack. With all the hype J.Crew's been enjoying recently I don't think they make jackets in that range anymore though..

Thanks for the response. I've been prowling B&S like a fiend, but most of the jackets are way out of my range (Wings and Horns, etc.). Will keep looking though!

blynch

Reaction score
recommend me a good quality leather belt that is reasonably thin and supple in medium/dark brown. I'm imagining leather like on a saddleback leather co. bag.

Looking for something definitely thinner than tanner. Thickness is the concern, not width, 1.25" to 1.5" is fine for width.

J_H_D

Reaction score
@Asch

FROG AND TOAD!!! holy **** man, insane amount of memories flooding back. that is the greatest profile picture ever!

oldfancypants

Reaction score
Looking for:

1. A good sport coat/blazer to wear with jeans...I guess if a suit jacket would work with jeans, it'd be ideal (since I'm looking for a suit as well), but from what I've read it's sort of hit or miss? And a good pair of jeans to go with it.

2. A decent suit

3. Nice slim-fitting button down shirts, that aren't too long to wear untucked.

4. A couple pairs of versatile shoes...something along the lines of Adidas Sambas for one (maybe that's my answer?), that can be worn with jeans and a nice shirt to go out, but also just with a pair of shorts...and a pair of half casual/half dressy brown shoes.

I actually wear suits every day for work, but they are just cheapos from JC Penney, which are fine for work where I'm only meeting with older retired people who only care that I'm wearing A suit.

I'm 27 y.o., 5'10", 155, slim and athletic build. My wardrobe now is mostly jeans from the Buckle, dress shirts from Express, and other shirts from Gap and AE. But as I'm maturing I'd like to also start to mature my wardrobe, if that makes sense? Where I used to prefer the AE look, I now like the Gap look more. Also, I'm in a smaller city in Wisconsin, so some of the things that are more trendy on the coasts or in bigger cities would probably just make me look like a fool here. Thought I should mention that.
smile.gif

My shoes now basically consist of:

-Pumas like these http://www.shop.puma.com/Voltaic-II-...tml?cgid=23110
-Steve Maddens like these http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-brakker-brown
-My everyday work shoes are Bostonians sort of like this http://www.zappos.com/bostonian-ipsw...smooth-leather
-And I've got a pair of Aldo loafers like these http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoe...052-gaibler/97

Obviously I'm not going to just throw out my old clothes and buy all new, so I guess that's why I thought starting with the above would be a good idea?

My budget for a suit is $400-500, the rest of the stuff I'm looking for I don't really have a price range I'm thinking of, but just know I'm a cheap bastard and really have to be convinced to spend my hard earned money.
smile.gif

I know I'll need things tailored, any advice on finding a good one? And can shirts I have now be altered by a good tailor to fit more snugly and shortened to allow them to be worn untucked?

Alright, hope that's enough for you guys to get started.
laugh.gif

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BriansAWildDowner
Hello all. I figured this would be a good place for my first post on this board.

I actually need a few recommendations. First off I need new shoes. Just casual, every day, walking to school shoes. I've been wearing black leather Dickies work boots but am ready for something more comfortable. Since I'm in Texas I need something that'll go well with wearing shorts. Since I'm also very short on cash versatility is really important to me as well. I'm considering a pair of these from LL Bean. If they ever get any back in stock anyway.

And I also need new shorts. The only ones i have now i bought about 13 years ago and while i may not know much about fashion i do know that JNCOs are definitely not in style. I figure I need denim, khakis and perhaps some navy blue ones.

Hi there -

I put together a wishspace of some great and very versatile shoes. I used Rightcliq - a new online shopping tool - which is great if you're comparison shopping online and looking at things such as comfort, price, and more.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rightcl...sa/4544008199/

If you try out Righctliq yourself as you do some online shopping - we'd love to hear what you think. You can give your feedback here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=175660

Kurtz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by oldfancypants
Looking for:

1. A good sport coat/blazer to wear with jeans...I guess if a suit jacket would work with jeans, it'd be ideal (since I'm looking for a suit as well), but from what I've read it's sort of hit or miss? And a good pair of jeans to go with it.

2. A decent suit

3. Nice slim-fitting button down shirts, that aren't too long to wear untucked.

4. A couple pairs of versatile shoes...something along the lines of Adidas Sambas for one (maybe that's my answer?), that can be worn with jeans and a nice shirt to go out, but also just with a pair of shorts...and a pair of half casual/half dressy brown shoes.

I actually wear suits every day for work, but they are just cheapos from JC Penney, which are fine for work where I'm only meeting with older retired people who only care that I'm wearing A suit.

I'm 27 y.o., 5'10", 155, slim and athletic build. My wardrobe now is mostly jeans from the Buckle, dress shirts from Express, and other shirts from Gap and AE. But as I'm maturing I'd like to also start to mature my wardrobe, if that makes sense? Where I used to prefer the AE look, I now like the Gap look more. Also, I'm in a smaller city in Wisconsin, so some of the things that are more trendy on the coasts or in bigger cities would probably just make me look like a fool here. Thought I should mention that.
smile.gif

My shoes now basically consist of:

-Pumas like these http://www.shop.puma.com/Voltaic-II-...tml?cgid=23110
-Steve Maddens like these http://www.zappos.com/steve-madden-brakker-brown
-My everyday work shoes are Bostonians sort of like this http://www.zappos.com/bostonian-ipsw...smooth-leather
-And I've got a pair of Aldo loafers like these http://www.aldoshoes.com/us/men/shoe...052-gaibler/97

Obviously I'm not going to just throw out my old clothes and buy all new, so I guess that's why I thought starting with the above would be a good idea?

My budget for a suit is $400-500, the rest of the stuff I'm looking for I don't really have a price range I'm thinking of, but just know I'm a cheap bastard and really have to be convinced to spend my hard earned money.
smile.gif

I know I'll need things tailored, any advice on finding a good one? And can shirts I have now be altered by a good tailor to fit more snugly and shortened to allow them to be worn untucked?

Alright, hope that's enough for you guys to get started.
laugh.gif

Ok I'll try to help a little, but full disclosure: I am by no means an expert, so take with a grain of salt.

1) If I were you, I would put this on the back burner for a while, at least until you upgrade other parts of your wardrobe. I say this because the sport coat+Express shirt+Buckle jeans+your shoes would be a pretty awful look IMO. Having said that, if you insist, I wouldn't try to do it with a suit jacket. Get something more casual, like a corduroy or tweed coat.

2) Check the MC side of the forum for this, won't get too many good recs over here.

3) When I need to get slim shirts on a budget, I go the H&M/Uniqlo/Zara route, but this might be harder for you in Wisconsin (though you can phone order from Uniqlo I think?). You could also get mall brands and take it to a tailor to get it slimmed in the waist/sleeves (I do this often, use Yelp). Jcrew can have cheap ones (they don't get much love on this forum though), and GAP's can be decent for the price.

4) Personally, I'm not a fan of Sambas, something like a Jack Purcell or Chuck Taylor (on the cheap side) can look good with jeans or shorts, especially plain white. And for "half casual/half dressy" and still staying on the cheap side, I would go with some Clark's Desert Boots. They're a little boring, but comfortable and inoffensive. Hendrix just posted a fit pic wearing them in the WAYWT thread if you want to see picture of them being worn (the shoes also have their own thread).

If I were you, I would focus on a suit, shoes, and jeans. Since you wear suits everyday, this would be important to me. Your shoes look pretty ugly, so you definitely need to upgrade (avoid square toes, as well as sneaker/dress shoe hybrids like your Steve Maddens). For dress shoes on a budget, go with Allen Edmonds seconds (again, go to the MC side of the forum for this). The beginner jean everyone recommends here are APC New Standards, and I second that recommendation. Great jeans.

I didn't go way too in depth here, because the easiest way to figure out recommendations is using the Search function. Hope this was enough to get you started though!

Originally Posted by BriansAWildDowner

I'm not trying to be mean, but I think those shoes are hideous. If you need a leather shoe that can be worn with shorts and jeans, I'd go with a boat shoe since you're in the South. They don't get a ton of love around here, but they would fit in pretty well where you live and are versatile. Sperry's are cheap, but get Quoddy if you can afford it. LLBean also has some good boat-type shoes in their Signature Line, check out the LLBean Signature thread.

For shorts, try Jcrew if you're on a budget (they can be slim). Avoid denim shorts (jorts).

Also, this is my first post, looking forward to many more
laugh.gif

-Kurtz

jaslflsl

Reaction score
This is my first post. If anyone has the time, I would like a few recommendations for both good brands of polo shirts and long-sleeve, button down dress shirts.

TotesMcGotes

Reaction score
You need to be way more specific, for starters do you have a price range?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads