Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

any suggestions for monotone high cut slate grey or purple sneakers? i very much dislike white soles and mid-soles

2. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

SUP who makes your favorite belt? Looking to get a skinny black cinch belt, considering Tim Hardy. Something a bit on the refined side.

3. aoluffy

aoluffy Senior member

hey its summer now and i dont know what to wear under my summer jackets. sometimes rep a light weight blue mac or linen jacket etc.etc.

basically ive just been wearing uniqlo tshirts the past few days. i want to up the ante and might start wearing shirts etc. but i'm a university student so i don't want to look too overdressed. any advice on which shirts to buy which look casual (other than flannels) and are nice for summer? or any other types of clothes... thanks!

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

SUP who makes your favorite belt? Looking to get a skinny black cinch belt, considering Tim Hardy. Something a bit on the refined side.

J Crew has a few good belts in the $40-$60 range.

5. Albi.S

Albi.S Member

yeah agreed j. crew has great belts. i've also seen a few from banana republic that are pretty affordable

6. bakatora

bakatora Senior member

Does anyone have a go-to brand or website for good wooden hangers? This may seem silly.. but I have some that started splintering/cracking after a few uses. Thanks [​IMG]

7. pokey07

pokey07 Senior member

Alright... I need some help with a spring/summer wardrobe because right now I have next to nothing. I have two pairs of J.Crew club shorts (khaki and blue), and that's about it lol. Things I would like/need:

-T-shirts
    -Button Downs
    -Shorts
    -A Windbreaker
    -New sneakers
    -Khakis

I know that's asking a lot so any help is appreciated. I plan on buying a bunch of button downs this weekend and getting them tailored because I've never had a button down shirt that actually fit me well. I usually end up buying them, hating how baggy they fit and they sit in my closet. I'd like maybe just 1 or 2 more pairs or shorts. As far as sneakers go, I wear Jack Purcells in white and gray, and have both canvas and leather, but I'm getting kind of tired of them. I have a pair of Uniqlo Vintage Chinos, but they're too tight. I might just call tomorrow and see if the have a 33x32 laying around.

Thanks in advance!

8. KitAkira

KitAkira Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!

Does anyone have a go-to brand or website for good wooden hangers? This may seem silly.. but I have some that started splintering/cracking after a few uses. Thanks [​IMG]
    Go to MC, look up, click Cedarville, ???, profit.

9. Lustre

Lustre Well-Known Member

Hello gentlemen, I've been looking for a light jacket for a while, ideally one that I can wear over a button-up shirt as well as over a t-shirt. Most jackets I've seen discussed are either too heavy or would look strange over a button-up shirt. My budget is meager at $100, and I realize at this range I'll probably be looking at H&M, BR, and other "mall brands."

Colorwise, I'd like something in the Black, Grey, or Brown scheme, something dark and easily matched. My last jacket playing this role was a simple black Banana Republic jacket, sadly lost during a train trip.

I'd love to hear any suggestions!

10. teampunjabi

teampunjabi Active Member

Been on this site reading for 2 years now...decided to be more active. Graduated and received a job offer and looking to expand my horrendous collegeish wardrobe IMO.

1. First thing is first Id like a recommendation on some nice button downs long sleeve and short sleeve that would be nice evening wear type shirts. I def would like a nice slim fit. This did catch my eye and they have a retail location in Houston so that works ( Carlos Campos). Its a little pricey but thoughts on that site / recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. Also I am in dire need of a good staple belt. I am told a nice thick belt is much needed and just wondering where to look.

Thanks in advance.

11. c00kz

c00kz Senior member

Hello gentlemen, I've been looking for a light jacket for a while, ideally one that I can wear over a button-up shirt as well as over a t-shirt. Most jackets I've seen discussed are either too heavy or would look strange over a button-up shirt. My budget is meager at $100, and I realize at this range I'll probably be looking at H&M, BR, and other "mall brands."

Colorwise, I'd like something in the Black, Grey, or Brown scheme, something dark and easily matched. My last jacket playing this role was a simple black Banana Republic jacket, sadly lost during a train trip.

I'd love to hear any suggestions!

No direct suggestions but some advice:

-Avoid H&M- the styling might appeal to you but with few exceptions, H&M stuff, especially the jackets are not made to last. You can take a look at the racks and see for yourself how many buttons appear not to have even been tied somehow when sewn. The few lined jackets you find are made of horrible materials and really seem fit as a costume pieces in a high school theater co's wardrobe tbh..

-Stick to sales and B&S. For the same amount of money you WILL find something cooler, longer-lasting, and with a better value if you spend some time either here or on sales than you would if you walked into either BR or J.Crew right now and bought something off the rack. With all the hype J.Crew's been enjoying recently I don't think they make jackets in that range anymore though..

12. TotesMcGotes

TotesMcGotes Senior member

Been on this site reading for 2 years now...decided to be more active. Graduated and received a job offer and looking to expand my horrendous collegeish wardrobe IMO.

1. First thing is first Id like a recommendation on some nice button downs long sleeve and short sleeve that would be nice evening wear type shirts. I def would like a nice slim fit. This did catch my eye and they have a retail location in Houston so that works ( Carlos Campos). Its a little pricey but thoughts on that site / recommendations would be much appreciated.

2. Also I am in dire need of a good staple belt. I am told a nice thick belt is much needed and just wondering where to look.

Thanks in advance.

Check out Temple of Jawns for a shirt, they can be custom ordered and there are endless options on fabric and pattern. Also they are priced really reasonably. http://graphr.net/toj/
    And for a belt I'd look into billykirk or Tanner Leather Goods. Or you could wait a little bit and a user on here makes awesome leather goods, he is about to start putting out belts i think. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...85#post3003685

13. ZhiMingBuFanDe

ZhiMingBuFanDe Senior member

What's the best pair of raw denims I can get for around $200? I'm not looking for retail stuff by the way, I'm looking for something that I can buy here.

The denim can't be too heavy; I have a pair of Ironhearts right now, but the weather is warming up now, so it's not feasible to wear them.

Thanks.

14. Guyute

Guyute Senior member

Looking for a shoe: Rugged, yet casual enough for business (very) casual. Needs to be very comfortable because I will be on my feet a lot. Non slip. I'd like something that will break in well also and look good with wear... Been considering this: http://www.colehaan.com/colehaan/cat...ctGroup=312875

15. mattheus

mattheus New Member

This is my first post , so hi [​IMG] !

I was wondering what color casual shoes to wear with cream colored pants? My guess is brown/dark brown?