• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

hhenryhhh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hhenryhhh
I'm in the market for a pair of slim and slightly tapered shorts that's just above the knee. Any recommendations? I know it's the middle of January, but I might as well prepare for the summer while I can.
Thought I'd give this another try, anybody?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hhenryhhh
Thought I'd give this another try, anybody?

J.Crew's club short is slighly tapered.

schrute

Reaction score
Well, I'm not searching for a specific piece of clothing but I think this is the best topic to ask my question. Here is my problem: I'm searching for a couple of labels who make good and mid-priced sweaters. I found a few nice shirts from Charles Tyrwhitts, but I'm not sure about the quality. This is the kind of knit I'm interested in:
KC062NAV_2.jpg
It would be great if the label is from Europe, so I would be able to order clothes with out taxes and stuff. You may also recommend a good shirt manufacturer, I'm not fully satisfied with CT's Sea Island shirts. PS. What material should my knits and shirts be so they would last and look as good as possible? PSS. My first post, try to cope with my non-native english skills.
wink.gif

savejake

Reaction score
After taking advice from earlier threads/blogs in searching for a medium that fits me, I tried alternative apparel standard fit rugby and thought it fit mostly well, but had it middrift me when I would raise my arms. Is this something that tends to go away with weight loss, or is my torso just too big for Alt A?

If the latter is the case, any recommendations for other casual knits? I'm trying to find the future home of most of my tshirts, and while I have a slightly big chest and shoulders even after I lose more weight (217 a year ago, 177 now, about 30 more pounds of fat to go at 5'8"), it seems inconceivable to me I'd be a large in anything but possibly BoO.

I'm sticking to vintage and cheap things until I lose weight, but I wouldn't mind dropping more money on something that fits a little tight, but should fit well once I hit my ideal weight.

Side question: is there a good way to guesstimate what "ideal" measurements are before you get there? I'm guessing not, but it sure would make my present state of "nothing looks good/too afraid to buy anything" go by better.

stylenoob718

Reaction score
what do you guys think of these as a starter pair of boots to dress up my style?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenoob718
what do you guys think of these as a starter pair of boots to dress up my style?

Those boots are a disaster.
Red Wings are you best bet for starter boots.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Those boots are a disaster.
Red Wings are you best bet for starter boots.

Or wolverine 1000k boots

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylenoob718
why are they a disaster?
confused.gif

they don't look very versatile and the shape is kind of tacky. I don't see how you'd wear those anywhere but to a sleazy discotheque at night.

Red wing gentleman travelers (there are a few in buying an selling now) and wolverine 1000mile boots are pretty versatile. If you want dressier boots, rm williams makes some nice chelseas/pull-ons.

am12

Reaction score
I'm looking for a decent looking pair of black sneakers to wear downtown with some jeans and a button down. Maybe pumas or something? Id rather they not be shiny leather, just something basic that won't stand out or look like I just came out of the gym.

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by am12
I'm looking for a decent looking pair of black sneakers to wear downtown with some jeans and a button down. Maybe pumas or something? Id rather they not be shiny leather, just something basic that won't stand out or look like I just came out of the gym.
take a look at common projects, the leather spring courts, pf flyers albin, and creative recreation

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Earnest Hemingway
take a look at common projects, the leather spring courts, pf flyers albin, and creative recreation

+1. Generic Man is a good option too.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

2nd post in this forum. Forum is great, I should have joined a long time ago.

Anyways, I have two questions. I'll preface them by saying I have less than an ideal build for fashion I think, and it will only get worse with time. I lift weights regularly, and would say I have a more athletic build than some of the dudes here.

In any case, here are my questions:

1 - this question has probably been asked a trillion times, but I want to get into raw denim; what should be my first purchase? I really like the Levis 501 STFs, but I kind of want to see what the 514 tumbles are about. I'm in NYC so I will hit up the APC shop as well, but I am leaning heavily towards the STFs.

2 - I want to get a casual summer suit. In the 80s I remember there being this kind of suit material that had a sheen and little knots and stuff in it. It was a very interesting material. I can't find anything on it online; anyone know anything about it? They looked silver. If not w/e, I still want recommendations on just a breathable light gray suit I can wear with low top sneakers and maybe a T-shirt. I hope that's not too Miami Vice.

Thanks for any feedback in advance and props for having a great forum.

Delphi

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for over a year, and I have finally decided to create an account.

I'm looking to update my wardrobe.
I am looking for casual, semi-formal clothing, and a nice oxford shoe to go with slim indigo jeans. I know how to dress, however I am having difficulty finding the basic stuff within my price range. I am looking for the best quality stuff compared to the price.

I'm looking for
-2 to 3 pants(slim raw denim, corduroy, etc)
-1 to 2 jackets, 1 leather.
-A couple of basic pieces of clothing
-2 pairs of shoes 1 pair of oxfords and 1 casual(No generic vans, nike etc sneakers).
-some accessories

Empecinado

Reaction score
I tend to wear dark jeans, with a white/grey hoodie with a black or dark t-shirts or I have this inverted with my leather brown jacket (dark brown fits my hair colour).

I don't want to seem like I only own those clothes and would like to expand but I'm not sure where to go from. I tried using shirts for a while (instead of using a hoodie) with the jacket but I don't think it looked good and made me look really lanky. I'd also like if someone could suggest some further colour combinations I could use while going out.

Cheers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads