• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
(think Vampire Weekend minus the douche factor)

Does not compute
Does not compute

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
Does not compute
Does not compute

How so?

Actually, I'd be interested to know what SF members think of their steez...

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think VW are douchey at all. They're pretty honest ivy-league dudes who are just looking to have a good time, not like they're trying to fool anyone. Sometimes they wear cool stuff.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bland, just another preppy/trad/hipster mashup.

DISCLAIMER: Bona dresses bland.

acconrad

Reaction score
I need a check list of clothing items and companies for my new job.

It's ultra casual. Even on our homepage, you see 4 men, all wearing jeans, sneakers and a button-down shirt or polo (actually I think the guy is wearing a t-shirt).

At this level, ties are just unacceptable, so my guess is to go for quality/coordination over level-of-dress. What should I be investing in, what should be on my wardrobe checklist, and where should I be purchasing from?

Perhaps these measurements might be useful in recommending certain companies over others, in terms of finding the best fit for my shape:

45'' chest
16.5'' neck
33'' waist
25'' thighs
32'' inseam

Much appreciated,

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How so?

Actually, I'd be interested to know what SF members think of their steez...

Their music is pretty mediocre and they do seem a little douchey, but their steez is ok. I admittedly draw some inspiration from it.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to break out of the dark denim+AA tee+sneakers routine I pull out every summer.

I'm feeling like I want to venture into a JCrew-ish (seersucker?) shorts and light-colored button-ups this year (think Vampire Weekend minus the douche factor) Just the thought of being comfortable in hot weather makes me want to say "the hell with it!" How can I pull this off without looking fratty? I have a Medium to Large build, Im pale and blonde.

I think for a great summer look, a good option is to look into Ivy/Prep and Nautical influences.

You're on the right track with seersucker and light colored button ups. Really the important thing, in my opinion, is being and looking comfortable when it comes to Spring/Summer dressing. In general, an addition of color to your wardrobe helps a lot (but not too much, you don't want to look like a walking rainbow).

Try linen shirts, or very lightweight sweaters. Go sockless when you wear shoes, I think what looks terrible is to see dirty white socks poking out of some vans/boat shoes when someone is wearing shorts.

Try a windbreaker, or an anorak, or just any general lightweight summer jacket.

Pay less attention to what article of clothing it is and more to the fabric, the colors, and the details. Any lightweight pants work great in the summer and keep my cooler than shorts (keeps the sun of my legs, allows them to breath). The most important thing is to wear clothes that breathe. A very nice, casual, unstructured, unlined, cotton blazer works too. Andrew Wallace posted one that looked pretty good to me.

In general just stick to a lighter color palette (more creams, light blues, etc), get clothes that breathe (linen), and just don't worry about it too much. Be comfortable, look comfortable.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recc me a nice cheap (under $60) black cardigan that fits slim that I don't really plan on wearing too often anyway (it's for a dance).

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I have no idea why you'd want to wear a cardigan to a dance but Urban Outfitters, Zara and H&M are your go-to places for disposable fashunz. If you want something a little nicer, Club Monaco makes solid ****, in my opinion...fit pic later today with one of their cardis.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SRSLY? Bro, LeBron wore a cardi to the dunk contest!

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
Can anyone recc me a nice cheap (under $60) black cardigan that fits slim that I don't really plan on wearing too often anyway (it's for a dance).
H&M hands down here, quality is mediocre at best, but as long as you're wearing it over something you'll get that nice trim fit and be golden. Also: Vampire Weekend - Hipster Douchiness = 0

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician

Vampire Weekend - Hipster Douchiness = 0

L8 pass, but this is correct.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
L8 pass, but this is correct.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but how exactly do Vampire Weekend qualify as hipster douchebags? Most hardcore indie/hipster kids think Vampire Weekend is too poppy and mainstream, and the guys in the band are pretty genuine Ivy League guys. Je ne comprend pas.

minimalist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
Thanks Kodiak; I actually tried on a pair of Spring Courts today - size 42 is too small and size 43 is too big, so that's a no go. Plus, the thick soles/toe cap tend to make my feet look large, which is also the case with chucks. It seems like size 10.5 in converse tends to make my feet look very big...I don't suppose anyone has any other ideas? I appreciate the suggestion, though - very much so.

How do you like these? Adidas Pro Model
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads