1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate noob thread - recommend me X in my wardrobe - post questions here please.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. FashionIQ

FashionIQ Senior member

how I suggest(and have basically done it myself) 1000$

shoes- 260$
    sneakers
    55$- Black Jack Purcell canvas sneakers
    45$- White Chuck Taylor sneakers
    boots
    100$-gently used red wing 875
    dress shoes
    15$ tops- thrifted brown wingtips
    15$ tops- loafers (bass weejuns, or the like are fairly common)
    4$- kiwi shoe polish
    20$- two pair of inexpensive cedar shoe trees
    jeans- 40$
    40$- H&M sliqs
    trousers-50$
    50$- Levis 511 blue twills
    Outerwear
    $150- sterlingwear peacoat
    shirts-
    25$- Target Merona patterned shirt
    25$- Target Solild OCBD
    45$- Urban Outfitters Koto Chambray work shirt
    cardigan-
    150$- mariner cardigan WWM
    sweatshirt-45$
    45$- fink sweatshirt by Urban outiftters
    underwear-100$
    10$ - 5 100% cotton hanes v-neck tees
    10$ - 5 100% cotton hanes crew neck tees
    30$ - 12 pair of basic Merona cotton boxers
    20$ - 6 pair of no show socks, 6 crew socks
    30$ - 2 pair j crew socks
    accesories- 70$
    20$- Target Merona tie bar
    3$- Merona knit hat
    30$- thrift store ties
    25$- favorite team fitted ball cap
    50$- seiko 5 watch from ebay
    90$- Bausch and Laumb Ray Ban Wayfarers

I think thats right at 1000 give or take.

I'm getting $1667, haha.

I would probably spend it all on shoes and outerwear. Browse around this site. I guarantee you will come across stuff that call your name.

2. robbie

robbie Senior member

I'm getting $1667, haha.

I would probably spend it all on shoes and outerwear. Browse around this site. I guarantee you will come across stuff that call your name.

some of the numbers are duplicate, cause I did the math for each catergory and then added the categories together.

3. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

4. sjnv

sjnv Senior member

Just don't force yourself to overbuy just 'cause you want to reach that $1000 limit... save for something nice

1. Jeans It's so hard to find some that aren't ridicously a 100 $ !

This is typical, but get some APC New Standards that fit properly (they have them at Farinelli's and a few other stores up there ^)

2. Stylish shoes. I used to wear Air Force ones that were all pimped out. Not anymore I'm growing up and need shoes that are dress casual. Boots would be neat, just not cowboys boots they don't look good on me. They do on Jessica Simpson though!

For boots, get some Clarks Desert Boots. They're classic and look great. My favorite are the Beeswax model, but they mostly come in Suede. Brown or Grey

3. Suits Hmm I go to Burlington and find good one there for 100 $ they tailor it for me as well.

Sure, go to them

4. Websites that might benefit me shopping at.

Check out all of the affiliate stores above (hejfina, self edge, farinelli's, context, etc...). You are bound to find something you like.

5. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

hey guys I'm new here but i've lurked around here from time to time, well a little bit of information about me I am 22 years old, I'm 5'8 , 155-160lbs and I'm filipino so im on the brown side Well right now my closet is full of jeans and a few shirts that are billabong, vulcom, and hurley and some graphic T's. I am feeling like im starting to get too old for those brands, But I'm thinking I should start dressing a bit more mature etc..So I was wondering if I can get a few pointers on what brands, type of clothing etc... that I should start filling my closet up. I'd like a good brand but not sooo expensive, I'm sure there are a few brands out there that are well qualified and are also inexpensive. I would spend 170 on jeans but I'd prefer not to

I live on southern california so I think alot of the brands that will be mentioned are a close distance from me to go try on. and also shoes! need help on this area also, thank you

6. phaseshift

phaseshift Senior member

a question that has always lingered in my head is how many pairs of jeans should I own...and what color/wash should I get that can match any wardrobe I decide to choose?

7. awxg

awxg Senior member

8. brohymn

brohymn Senior member

Here let me tell you exactly how many pairs of jeans to have:

9. Wags

Wags Member

It's hard for anybody to tell you what you like. Because of this you should look around to get a good idea of what styles you like and don't like.

For starters, begin sifting through the What Are You Wearing Now/Today Thread that's stickied at the top of the forum. It'll give you ideas on what kinds of styles peak your interest. Then you can find names of labels in the thread, and search for similar products online. Also, you can search through the online stores of SF affiliates (links to sites available below the main toolbar).

10. Jekyll

Jekyll Senior member

a question that has always lingered in my head is how many pairs of jeans should I own...and what color/wash should I get that can match any wardrobe I decide to choose?

11. allan1

allan1 Member

- A pair of jeans from APC
    - a couple of shirts (band of outsider, RLauren)

The above will be the start for the coming spring?

12. Listi

Listi Senior member

Robbie's list sounsd pretty good with the exception of the WWM cardigan I think. Although I'm sure it's awesome, it's way more of the price than the rest of the items and definitely not a "you need to have this basic item!" type piece like the rest of your things are.

I'd say buy a cheaper cardigan, and get some Crates instead of sliqs.

I really wish I had $1000 when I started getting into clothes, threw out my entire wardrobe, and bought all of those things with the two substitutions I made. Too bad it wouldn't work out so well anyways because nothing fits my tiny chest.

13. Listi

Listi Senior member

Depends on your body type. If you're fairly slim, here is what I'd say:

A pair of skinny raws
    A pair of slim-straight raws
    A pair of slim-straight or skinny washed (in a lighter colour, but not extreme, i prefer it with browns and such) jeans
    A pair of skinny black jeans

14. Listi

Listi Senior member

It is so fun how everyone is like "What jeans should I get, I don't want to spend the money required to get a good pair."

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

I like to have 14, so I have a top pair and a back up pair for each day.

16. whodini

whodini Senior member

It is so fun how everyone is like "What jeans should I get, I don't want to spend the money required to get a good pair."
    Not quite as funny as, "Here is my money: dress me, o internet strangers!"

17. clik

clik New Member

Both your jacket and waist size are 36, huh? You should probably spend that $1,000 on a doctor to look at your freakishly deformed body.
    Shoot I got to fix that stuff. haha I didn't realize that. I am in no way deformed. thank god.
    how I suggest(and have basically done it myself) 1000$ shoes- 260$ sneakers 55$- Black Jack Purcell canvas sneakers 45$- White Chuck Taylor sneakers boots 100$-gently used red wing 875 dress shoes 15$ tops- thrifted brown wingtips 15$ tops- loafers (bass weejuns, or the like are fairly common) 4$- kiwi shoe polish 20$- two pair of inexpensive cedar shoe trees jeans- 40$ 40$- H&M sliqs trousers-50$ 50$- Levis 511 blue twills Outerwear $150- sterlingwear peacoat shirts- 25$- Target Merona patterned shirt 25$- Target Solild OCBD 45$- Urban Outfitters Koto Chambray work shirt cardigan- 150$- mariner cardigan WWM sweatshirt-45$ 45$- fink sweatshirt by Urban outiftters underwear-100$ 10$ - 5 100% cotton hanes v-neck tees 10$ - 5 100% cotton hanes crew neck tees 30$ - 12 pair of basic Merona cotton boxers 20$ - 6 pair of no show socks, 6 crew socks 30$ - 2 pair j crew socks accesories- 70$ 20$- Target Merona tie bar 3$- Merona knit hat 30$- thrift store ties 25$- favorite team fitted ball cap 50$- seiko 5 watch from ebay 90$- Bausch and Laumb Ray Ban Wayfarers I think thats right at 1000 give or take.
    That's A good List. Soon I will be styling and profiling baby!

18. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Looking for:

Skinny-fit khakis (can be in the form of khaki-colored jeans or regular chinos that are just cut really slim), preferably cheap. Looking at the 511 twills that UO sells, open to other options.

Penny loafers. I could always just get Bass Weejuns (the Larson model) for ~$100, but if there's something a little more streetwear-friendly for not too much more, I'd be interested.

I think there are some really slim mabitex chinos at my local daffys.. i think they are in size 28 and 30... I could maybe look... would cost you about $50 shipped from me

19. blynch

blynch Senior member

I willing to spend up to $300 on a pair, suggest me something oh internet strangers.

Ok I need suggestions on 2 things:
    A) Next pair of raw denim. I looking for a pair that has or will develop a greenish hue. Also the cut should have decent room in the thighs and a slight taper. I'm wearing cougar boot cut now, but would like something a bit more relaxed in the thigh and with a slight taper for my next pair. I would get a pair of miners, but I'd like to explore different denim.

B) Button up shirts made to wear untucked. Looking for shirts to wear with jeans, and I think normal shirts look terrible untucked. Where would I find shirts that are shorter, made to be left untucked, ideally under $70.