• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ultimate healthy grocery list

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see a grocery list posted on here so I figured I would post mine as it stands right now and others could reccomend additions or subtractions as they see fit. Also if anyone has specific reccomendations for any of the items listed below feel free to add those as well (ie a specific type of juice or natty pb). Since nutrition is the 75% of the battle havin a list to stick to when getting your groceries can be very helpful. I would like to end up with a near perfect list. Here is what it looks like as of right now:

Meat/Fish/Proteins:

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Turkey (canned & ground 97% fat free)
Fish (salmon, tilapia, sea bass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Rib eye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% Lean Ground Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
Fat Free Cottage cheese
Almonds Raw (whole and the bagged ones for salads)
Flax Seed
Natural peanut butter

Complex Carbs:

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Whole grain pasta
Whole wheat bread
Whole wheat or black corn tortilla chips
Whole grain English muffins

Veggies (all fresh not canned or frozen):

Tomatoes
Green Beans
Cucumbers
Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
Spinach
Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Celery
Carrots
Mushrooms
Onions
Garlic

Fruits:

Green apples
Blueberries
Bananas
Oranges

Condiments:

Low sodium salt
Olivio
Low fat Mayo
Spicy Mustard
Low fat Salad dressing's (Asian, Italian, no creamy)
Salsa (natural)

Drinks:

Low fat milk
Juice (low sugar)
Bottled water/juices
Green tea

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
here's what we buy:

f & v:
broccoli
yams
arugala
herilooms
garlic
red onion
vidalia onion

blueberries
strawberries
bananas
bags of apples
oranges

raw cashews
almonds
no-salt peanut butter
fruit preserves w/no added sugar

ezekiel bread
orange juice
pomegraneat juice

skinless chicken breast
tuna steaks
rib eyes
halibut

coffee
black tea
green tea

pretty much all we buy

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
self made honey roasted peanut butter from whole foods

e23

Reaction score
Nice list, I remember when i had to make it on my own when I first started buying my own stuff.

Rand B

Reaction score
pg600rr:

I noticed your other thread soliciting recommendations for blemish drying treatments. Allow me to offer a modified grocery list which will address that concern, in addition to promoting greater overall well-being. The rationale/justifications for the rather sweeping changes will follow.

Omit the following items:

From Meat/Fish/Proteins:

Fat Free Cottage cheese
Flax Seed*
Natural peanut butter

*Freshly ground flax is acceptable is small amounts, but chia is a more desirable source of ALA (absence of indigestible outer hull, cyanogenic glycosides, trypsin inhibitors, pyridoxine antagonists, etc.).

From Complex Carbs (Substitute grains with fibrous tubers {i.e. not white potatoes} and occasional high fiber* pseudocereals, such as buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, etc.):

*5 or more grams fiber per serving

Oat Bran Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Whole grain pasta
Whole wheat bread

From Veggies (all fresh not canned or frozen):

Green Beans

From Condiments:

Olivio
Low fat Mayo*
Low fat Salad dressing’s (Asian, Italian, no creamy)*

*OK if olive, canola or high oleic sunflower/safflower oil based (in that order, ideally cold/expeller pressed).

From Drinks:

Low fat milk
Juice (low sugar)*

*Fine in moderation if the fiber is retained (e.g. Lakewood Juices).

While is would require a number of pages to reasonably elucidate the reasons for removal of dairy, grains, legumes and fiber deficient juices from your list, I will simply state that if undertaken, you will experience great improvement in the condition of your skin, not to mention other facets of health. For a fairly thorough (but easily understood) theory of the factors iimplicated in the formation of acne--and the interventions necessary for remission--I suggest obtaining The Dietary Cure for Acne, by Loren Cordain, Ph.D. It will go a long way in explaining how food is the primary determinant of skin--and overall--health.

R.B.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rand B
pg600rr:

I noticed your other thread soliciting recommendations for blemish drying treatments. Allow me to offer a modified grocery list which will address that concern, in addition to promoting greater overall well-being. The rationale/justifications for the rather sweeping changes will follow.

Omit the following items:

From Meat/Fish/Proteins:

Fat Free Cottage cheese
Flax Seed*
Natural peanut butter

*Freshly ground flax is acceptable is small amounts, but chia is a more desirable source of ALA (absence of indigestible outer hull, cyanogenic glycosides, trypsin inhibitors, pyridoxine antagonists, etc.).

From Complex Carbs (Substitute grains with fibrous tubers {i.e. not white potatoes} and occasional high fiber* pseudocereals, such as buckwheat, quinoa, amaranth, etc.):

*5 or more grams fiber per serving

Oat Bran Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Whole grain pasta
Whole wheat bread

From Veggies (all fresh not canned or frozen):

Green Beans

From Condiments:

Olivio
Low fat Mayo*
Low fat Salad dressing's (Asian, Italian, no creamy)*

*OK if olive, canola or high oleic sunflower/safflower oil based (in that order, ideally cold/expeller pressed).

From Drinks:

Low fat milk
Juice (low sugar)*

*Fine in moderation if the fiber is retained (e.g. Lakewood Juices).

While is would require a number of pages to reasonably elucidate the reasons for removal of dairy, grains, legumes and fiber deficient juices from your list, I will simply state that if undertaken, you will experience great improvement in the condition of your skin, not to mention other facets of health. For a fairly thorough (but easily understood) theory of the factors iimplicated in the formation of acne--and the interventions necessary for remission--I suggest obtaining The Dietary Cure for Acne, by Loren Cordain, Ph.D. It will go a long way in explaining how food is the primary determinant of skin--and overall--health.

R.B.

Thanks for the info! all the items you mentioned are ones that I can easily live without and were more of on the edge comfort foods, for instance I can substitute the low fat mayo, and just use olive oil with some basil when making Tuna (which I dont eat cant stand the tatse) or Turkey salad for wraps. Also I will start paying attention to the salad dressings I buy, salads are my go to food, I love them in all variations topped with steak or chicken or shrimp. I was surprised at dropping the natty pb, I have heard nothing but great things about it, especially in a banana and whole wheat bread sandwhich post workout.. same with the no fat cottage cheese (although maybe this is more a skin related issue with dropping this item than health issue?)

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got to get some beets in there. Purple stuff is good for you.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
'Healthy' food is a pretty silly concept in and of itself.

I like to think most people don't live on Doritos all day.

Rand B

Reaction score
pg600rr:

No problem. On the subject of Cordain, a few papers in which participated that might prove informative. The avoidance of those particular food groups is based on general health promotion, as well as specific anti-acneic effect.

Atherogenic potential of peanut oil-based monounsaturated ***** acids diets. Lipids 1998; 33:229-30.
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20Article.pdf

Dissociation of the glycaemic and insulinaemic responses to whole and skimmed milk. Br J Nutr 2005;93:175-177.
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles/Milk Final.pdf

Cereal grains: humanity’s double edged sword. World Rev Nutr Diet 1999; 84:19-73.
http://www.thepaleodiet.com/articles...%20article.pdf

R.B.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
here's what we buy:

f & v:
broccoli
yams
arugala
herilooms
garlic
red onion
vidalia onion

blueberries
strawberries
bananas
bags of apples
oranges

raw cashews
almonds
no-salt peanut butter

ezekiel bread
orange juice
pomegraneat juice

skinless chicken breast
tuna steaks
rib eyes
halibut

coffee
black tea
green tea

pretty much all we buy

sory, dude, souncs very healthy, but very boring

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
here's what we buy:

f & v:
broccoli
yams
arugala
herilooms
garlic
red onion
vidalia onion

blueberries
strawberries
bananas
bags of apples
oranges

raw cashews
almonds
no-salt peanut butter

ezekiel bread
orange juice
pomegraneat juice

skinless chicken breast
tuna steaks
rib eyes
halibut

coffee
black tea
green tea

pretty much all we buy

What kinds of herbs/seasonings do you use? I suppose any sauces are out.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
'Healthy' food is a pretty silly concept in and of itself.

I like to think most people don't live on Doritos all day.

Doritos are not the only 'unhealthy' food out there. I would say atleast 75% of the *********** markets (atleast here in the US) is absolute garbage that pollutes your body. A healthy diet, consisting of healthy food, is probably the number one most important thing in a person life as far as well-being goes (or atleast it should be).

Originally Posted by globetrotter
sory, dude, souncs very healthy, but very boring

There are tons of recipes that are very creative and taste great that can be made with any number of those items listed above. There is a reason we are by far the fattest country in the world and it has to do with many of us being raised and brainwashed from a young age about what is good food, what we concieve as tasting good, and what we are raised eating (this includes myself). Up until about 3 years ago I just ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted, which equated to whatever tasted the best (usually garbage food like pizza, soda, heavy creams and sauces on meals for dinner, supersized italian dinners, etc.). I ended up with a severe stomach problem and had to go on meds for it for two years and have changed my whole diet ever since. You'll get used to 'boring' food eventually, especially once you see the overall results it bears.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads