Uk versus us shoe size

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jerrysfriend, Aug 20, 2004.

1. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

These shoes are not of much interest http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws....MEWA:IT But the accompanying size conversion chart is. No wonder it is so hard for me to get the right fit. Edward Green says a UK10 = a US10.5; lots of other English shoe companies say that UK10 = a US11; but this chart says that a UK10 = a US11.5. What a range.

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I like a loose fit. So I take a 9E in the Alden tassel loafer and an 8.5F British size in both the Church (e.g. Consul, Kingsley) and in Crockett Jones handgrade and benchgrade

3. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

That chart is dead wrong. UK size is 1/2-1 size smaller than the corresponding US size, depending on the maker.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Only nominally, by my experience. There is an incredible amount of variation. The translation from Prada and Costume National, both of which use the UK system, sizes, is usually +1 to +1.5, sometimes more. Some Ferragamos, which use the European system, have size 44 shoes (about a 9.5-10 UK) that fit like size 9 (-1) US. I usually need to try things on.

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Good point - some charts are brand specific. However, if the shoes are made in Northampton, you aren't going to see much variation from the 1/2-1 size rule.

About Italian shoes - if your foot is the least bit wide, you can almost count on buying a half size large. An Italian size 45, for instance, is commonly labeled a US 12, but it's actually more of an 11 1/2.

Edit - Prada shoe sizing is funky. Almost as bad as Weston.

6. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

Prada is truly screwed up. I'm normally a 10.5 or 11. In Prada, I take a 9 or a 9.5. An 8.5 comes very close to fitting sometimes.