• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

UK stocked moth killers - they ate my suit

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grrrr...
censored.gif

Went to get a jacket out of the wardrobe this morning and moved my one decent suit, a once lovely Navy Canali, and spotted a hole on the back. Not just a little hole, but a track over a centimetre long. They don't seem to have touched the M&S suits either side (moths with good taste?), but I'm obviously worried about what could be lurking in the recesses of the wardrobe.

Any recommendations for anything to clear the wardrobe of danger (and future preventative measures?). Is there anything available in the UK that will do the job without leaving the clothes smelling too bad?

koolhistorian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Grrrr...
censored.gif

Went to get a jacket out of the wardrobe this morning and moved my one decent suit, a once lovely Navy Canali, and spotted a hole on the back. Not just a little hole, but a track over a centimetre long. They don't seem to have touched the M&S suits either side (moths with good taste?), but I'm obviously worried about what could be lurking in the recesses of the wardrobe.

Any recommendations for anything to clear the wardrobe of danger (and future preventative measures?). Is there anything available in the UK that will do the job without leaving the clothes smelling too bad?

Desperate times require desperate measures! First - get all your suits, pants, jackets out of the closet, give them a fair brushing and a good airing (some hours in the sun)! Second - when the closet is empty, take some water and chlorine (not very strong concoction) and wipe the closet, thoroughly! Spray some insecticide - for flying weevil, Bayer is ok, hang some moth repellant (Raid), put the clothes in the closet back, repeat the three steps every three months!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ManofKent
Grrrr...
censored.gif

first , i would take every garment out and brush thoroughly as mentioned above.

cedar may work but only in sealed bags or containers, and moth balls and insecticide you do have to deal with toxins (PDC (sp?) fumes can melt plastics) and smell...

so i would recommend simply to shake out or rearrange your suits and woolens every few days. simply take a few suits out and place them in different areas every 5 days or so to keep the moths from laying eggs and detering them to take residence. they dont like to be disturbed and do not like light.

im sure perhaps the OP kept the canali in a deep dark recess of a closet for a long period undisturbed?

the above was recommended by A Harris.
hope this helps.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is simply keeping your suits and sport coats in garment bags insufficient?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by holymadness
Is simply keeping your suits and sport coats in garment bags insufficient?

if the item is confirmed to be 100% clean of any debris, food stains, and most importantly moth larvae /eggs.

you store a suit in a garment bag, or even a vacuum-sealed container, if it has any eggs or larvae, it will eat through the wool during the storage.

that is why it is strongly recommended you dry clean the items before storage.

and when you store it, to make sure it is sealed completely. some garment bags have openings at the top where the hangar hook goes through.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i believe the best practical things to do for preventing moth infestation:

1) keep the area and rug in and around your closet where you hang your woolens to be kept clean, vacuumed. free of dust, hair, food particles, skin cell debris, etc. as much as possible.

2) after every wear of a suit or woolen, brush with a clothesbrush (most recommended here is Kent brush). brush away from your closet area, or brush before you come to the closet to hang.

2) if you must store away seasonal items: make sure the items are 100% clean. and the container you store it away in is completely sealed off. this is where cedar can be used to a good effect. no where else.

3) if you dont want to store away seasonal items (my choice): just simply rearrange your woolens and suits every few days. i know, it may be a hassle but make it a function in your wardrobe upkeep. take some suits out and put them between different suits.

4) never let any valued woolen stay in a dark deep recess of your closet or storage undisturbed for long periods of time (for more than 15-30 days or so) keep shifting the items around and shake them occasionally to disturb the larvae/moth infestation /feeding cycle. best if there is direct sunlight source towards your closet.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks folks.

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
Mom's closet, we were repacking our stuff and she found a woolen jumper that she knitted herself, had three 1cm holes in it. There doesn't seem to be moths in our place and there is the occasional moth ball... possibilities? or just follow directions from above posts?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Manofkent , do you really have problems with moths?
I leave down in Folkestone and we're absolutely fine with them..
is your wardrobe situated in a more damp part of your house?

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Manofkent , do you really have problems with moths?
I leave down in Folkestone and we're absolutely fine with them..
is your wardrobe situated in a more damp part of your house?

Yes - I lost one jacket, a cashmere scarf and a sleeveless sweater.

The wardrobe is against an internal wall, but the house is a victorian cottage that backs onto open farmland that quickly becomes the North Kent Marshes...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That must be part of the problem...Humidity and damp are the moths best friends..
I do leave in modernish house in Folkestone itself.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Would having a De-Humidifier not help, if you live in a damp climate?
Also,
what about Cedar wall paneling?

Sorry it may not be an inexpensive solution,
but certainly the paneling would be less expensive than
your clothes?

I've thought about doing this myself;
have an entire room as a wardrobe room,
with paneling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics